Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-09-17, 08:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/209/195 Female 183 cm
BF:
Progress: 69%
Default Stubborn 15 lbs and fat fast

Hi all, I am looking for some support. I have had great success with lc lifestyle for about 10 years but have a stubborn last 15 lbs to lose. I feel like I yo-yo down 10 and back up 15 over and over.
In the past couple years I have had great success with fat fasts but I am so upset- even that doesn't seem to work now! Any advice? Should I just keep on the strict l-c (less than 20 grams per day?), and give it time?
I also wondering if multiple fat fasts have messed with my metabolism? I feel like there is no margin of error for me anymore.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-10-17, 08:08

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

What is it about the fat fasts that isn't working? Do you fail to lose weight during them, are you hungry during them so you end up cheating, do you compensate with more food after the fast, or do you regain what you lost during the fast when you refeed, for no obvious reason?
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-11-17, 06:07

BF:

Lately i havent been losing weight whereas before I lost about 5-7 lbs during a 3 day ff.
I don't cheat although I do have trouble staying within the calorie restrictions because I feel weak
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-11-17, 06:11

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

What calorie restrictions? There might be your problem.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-11-17, 10:03

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I tried the fat fast several times ~10 yrs ago, and would lose a few pounds, but then nothing more for the rest of the month. The net effect was that I lost the same per month as on regular Induction, which was easier for me without the hunger and food obsession associated with five 200-cal mini-meals/day on the FF. The one thing the FF taught me, however, was that my body did well on higher fat. So I started adding more fat to my Induction diet.

I initially set my goal weight at 150, because that was the lowest I ever got on previous diets. When I got there my next goal was to improve my overall health so I read up on food intolerances and decided to do an elimination diet and found that without any grains or any dairy protein or legumes, the last 15 lbs fell off effortlessly (and believe me I had never in 35 yrs lost any weight without extreme effort). So no, the Fat Fat did not mess up my metabolism (which has always been slow).

In the past 2 years, to maintain and correct myself after a dietary excursion, I've kept to a ketogenic diet (basically Induction with nuts and plenty of fat), still grain-free, legume-free and dairy-protein-minimal, but incorporated Intermittent Fasting à la Jason Fung, eating 1-2 big meals a day in an ~6-hr eating window. Interestingly, some days I eat Fat Fast foods (except cheese & cream cheese) and the same ~1000 calories, but I do not get hungry and obsessed about food eating 2x500cals instead of the Fat Fast's 5x200cals. So timing can make difference.

Last edited by deirdra : Sun, Jun-11-17 at 10:17.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-12-17, 05:56

BF:
Unhappy

for the fat fast - 1000 calories
thank you Deidra! I appreciate your reply. I do have heavy cream with my coffee and cheese every day. I do love dairy.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-19-17, 11:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/LCHF
Stats: 209/185/185 Male 69
BF:reducing
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portagecre
for the fat fast - 1000 calories

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=449763

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizellen
Have you read the suggestions Dr Atkins put in his 2002 book?

The Fat Fast
The rationale behind the Kekwick diet is crystal clear: It forces the body into lipolysis so it burns its stores of fat. Lipolysis cannot take place if there is a significant source of glucose. Since all carbohydrates and some protein convert to energy by way of glucose, eliminating almost everything but fat from the diet forces even the most resistant body into lipolysis. That explains the ninety percent dietary fat component of the Kekwick diet. Lowering the caloric intake accelerates the need to burn up body fat-thus the 1,000calorie limit.
When I wrote the first edition of this book years ago, I realized that a small but intensely suffering segment of my readers would need to know how to overcome metabolic resistance. So I decided to make the Kekwick diet as enjoyable as possible. But no matter how I tried, the quantities were simply too small and the selection too limited to meet the satiety and tastiness criteria that I had been demanding for people following my program.

I gave it the name "Fat Fast" because it contained virtually no food except for fat. I tried it on scores of patients and was not surprised to observe how often it worked for those who were unable to lose in any other safe, drugless way. Nor was I surprised to hear that none of my patients relished the idea of staying on it. But ten more years of experience with the Fat Fast has
taught me how to make Kekwick and Pawan's brilliant concept a truly useful technique with which to combat metabolic resistance.

The Fat Fast is one controlled carb program where you do have to count calories, I am afraid. You'll eat 1,000 calories a day, with seventy-five to ninety percent fat. Since frequent "feedings" prevent hunger better than three meals a day, I recommend five feedings, perhaps one every four hours, comprising 200 calories each. Because of the high fat content and frequent feedings, very few people on the Fat Fast experience much hunger. The stumbling block for some people is the absence of meals as we know them.

Let's look at some choices for a Fat Fast 200-calorie feeding. Each item equals approximately 200 calories:
• One ounce of macadamia nuts or macadamia nut butter
• Two ounces of cream cheese or Brie
• One ounce of tuna or chicken salad with two teaspoons of mayonnaise served in one-quarter of an avocado
• Two deviled eggs made with two teaspoons of mayonnaise
• Two ounces of sour cream and two tablespoons black or red caviar
• Two and a half ounces whipped heavy cream topped with sucralose zero-calorie syrup
• Two ounces of pate (check label for fat content)
• Two egg yolks (hard-boiled) with one tablespoon of mayonnaise

When to Do the Fat Fast
Let me make it clear that the Fat Fast is actually dangerous for anyone who is not metabolically resistant. For people who lose weight fairly easily, the rate of weight loss is too rapid to be safe. But it carries very little risk for people who can barely lose on any other regimen. The reason why I ask such people to try the Fat Fast is to let them know that it is possible to lose weight.
I ask them to try the regimen for four or five days to see if they achieve what the Fat Fast is capable of doing-weight loss, curbed appetite, positive lipolysis testing strips and improved well-being. If these results occur, most people are willing to stick with it for a few days, even if the food selections are unfulfilling.

More about fat fast [link ]
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-19-17, 14:10

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Like diedra, I have found meal timing or intermittent fasting to be easier and more successful than a fat fast. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=472377
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-21-17, 06:52

BF:

I did induction for 5 days and gained back the 3 lbs I lost on a 3 day fat fast. SO frustrated. SHould I just give it more time?
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-21-17, 08:21

Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Instead of a fat fast, why not try waiting till 11 or 12 noon to eat your first meal of the day and then stop eating by 7 or 8 p.m., something like that? Establishing an eating window has intermittent fasting built into it. I started doing that, and the weight is starting to peel off again after a long stall.

Last edited by barb712 : Wed, Jun-21-17 at 08:40.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-22-17, 04:07

BF:

I will try that! Do you think coffee with heavy cream from 6-11 would mess that up?
Thank you all for taking the time to reply 🤗
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jun-22-17, 04:25

BF:

I would limit it to a tablespoon or two per coffee, depending on how many coffees are involved. Sometimes I'll fast for a full day, but I'll take about half a cup of heavy cream in my coffee for the day, a tablespoon at a time. So my "fasting" days are halfway to a fat fast.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jun-22-17, 05:36

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
I did induction for 5 days and gained back the 3 lbs I lost on a 3 day fat fast. SO frustrated. SHould I just give it more time?

Don't do this out of impatience. Yes, this entire thing will take time; the last 15 is where I am, and where I've been.

You are looking to solve problems, not drop pounds. That is how the pounds stay off. That is why we like to come up with things like IF that are sustainable, but it's not a matter of getting them off so much as it is figuring out a way to keep them off.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jun-22-17, 06:01

BF:

Also--although induction is a fairly ketogenic diet, it's still much more insulinogenic than a fat fast. It's not at all surprising if going back and forth between the two, the hormonal shifts, differences in salt intake etc. cause overshoots and undershoots in body water, you can't tell what's happening with your fat stores under all that water. My Dad has been doing something similar on a weekly basis for three months or so, lots of weeks his "weight loss" is nil, but over this period he's lost about 20 pounds.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jun-22-17, 07:36

Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Quote:
I will try that! Do you think coffee with heavy cream from 6-11 would mess that up?
Thank you all for taking the time to reply 🤗

No, I don't think so. Try it for a few days or so and see how that works for you. I sometimes have coffee with coconut milk in the evening.