Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#46   ^
Old Sat, Jul-03-04, 15:00
Flutterby

Plan: All that make sense
Stats: 220/212/160 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 13%

Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sat, Jul-03-04, 17:55

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 384/142/135 Female 5 ' 5 1/2 "
BF:
Progress: 97%

My mom and I took my two youngest to a family reunion in Idaho today. It was about a 2 hour drive each way. We had fun seeing everyone and sharing stories. We stopped for lunch at a cute little diner and I had a low carb cheeseburger.

Bawdy - thanks! I enjoyed your 5!

Dawn - I'm glad your new office is in the works! I enjoyed your 5 and I'm with you on -

Body wise: My breasts- uplift and inspire.. lets hear it for uplift and inspire, instead of droop and drag.. . Or hell.. at least get them both to be the same size!

I told my dh I would love to have it done, and he said we'll see, so that's a definate maybe!

Here's my 5 -

1. I have beautiful blue eyes if I do say so, but others do too.
2. I can control my life as far as my eating habits, which relates to everything sometimes. By having my eating under control I feel like I am in control, which is a real great feeling and also makes stress easier for me to handle.
3. I am a very upbeat person.
4. I have great hair.
5. I have some great talents, singing, sewing, crafts and quite a bit of creativity.

Wow, that was kind of fun to toot my own horn!
  #48   ^
Old Sat, Jul-03-04, 19:01

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

hey everyone!!! great new java room. i like it!! i also like how our PP section has picked up also with more specific posts.

my week out of town went really well. i ate wonderful and even excercised a couple of times. i went for a 30min jog one day and a 3hr walk the next.

but then i came home and blew it yesterday with pancakes for breakfast at a restaurant called the Pig and Pancake. (now who could pass up pancakes at a reastaurant with that name huh?!?!) and in true michele fashion, once i blow once in a day, the whole day goes down the tubes. so i finished it off with cookies for dessert. and so you say get back on track today. well it worked great till about 1 hr ago when i noticed we didn't eat all the cookies last night. yup, finished them off.

well, there is no more cookies in the house so will try to keep on track tomorrow and forward!!!

i am wondering what is brining on these weekend binges?? anyone have any ideas? suggestions?

talk to you all later!!

big hi to all our newbies!!!
  #49   ^
Old Sun, Jul-04-04, 10:13

Plan: PP
Stats: 264/255.2/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%

Good morning all and happy Fourth of July, been busy with chores. Had a great breakfast of Atkins buttermilk pancakes with fresh blueberries for the Fourth and some bacon.

BTW, I just PM'd Kristine the moderator to let her know that Lissette is having trouble logging on to the site, so if you're reading this=Please read your PM

Elaine
  #50   ^
Old Sun, Jul-04-04, 10:19

Plan: ALOT of salads,veggies ec
Stats: 180/160/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 50%

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!!!!!!!!!!! (well that is the best I can come up with the red white and blue!)

Sorry that I have not been on lately, for some reason My password and email address has been coming up invalid! After the 5th time and waiting the 15 mins, It FINALLY went through, but hard to say if /when/& it will happen again!

I hope you are all having a fun 4th, my ds went with his grandma to the picnic and family reunion, my dh is fencing and since our oats are ready to bale i will be going out shortly to rake. It is a pretty rare occasion that we get to celebrate this time of the year, but I am glad that my ds was able to get away! Bawdy and Elaine you will have to have a margarita for me!!!

Michele, the weekend binges are more commen then you think, you are usually relaxing from the week of work, sometimes just coming down from a busy /stressfull week can cause it, are you getting enough to eat during the week? you body has a memory and will sometimes try to make up for it? Are you bored? Time in the house can be a trigger just out of boredom alone! Are you getting enough liquids in?? (another trigger) Try to stay occupied, if you can (I know it is hard with kids) do not have your trigger foods in the house!
i hope some of this helps! I have a binging problem at times to, so I can relate!!! Good luck!!!

Song, your working out is an inspiration to us all!! I just had to laugh at your droop and drag remark!!

I have really enjoyed reading everyone's lists, I will have to scratch my head to come up with one sometime Right now I am having such an issue with my regain (4#) My face is so full I am not in a good place right now! I guess that I can say that my health is good, which is a BIG THING!!!

Dawn, sorry to hear that about you not getting in,atleast you got to spend some timw with your son!

Wendy, hope that you are feeling better and will be able to enjoy today!!!

Bawdy and Elaine, thanks for posting the tasty sounding marinades, i will have to jot them down and try them!

NO I haven't heard from Orange or the yeti in quite some time! WE miss you guys!! (Marnie,Ellie too!!)

WEll have a safe and happy one! (hopefully I will be able to get on tomorow!)

THANKS ELAINE!!!!!!!!!!!!
  #51   ^
Old Sun, Jul-04-04, 13:14

happy 4th of july everybody.

the kids are at their mom's today so i don't know if i will be doing any celebrating. maybe some relaxing.

i also have been enjoying everybody's lists and need to figure out one for myself.

i am thinging of trying a week of induction to see if i can kick the weekend binges/cheats. it seems like i have lost some of my willpower/controll. i will re-read that section of the book and see how different it is from how i have been eating. i know i have been pretty lax with the fruit and lc breads.

hope everybody has a great day!!
michele
  #52   ^
Old Sun, Jul-04-04, 13:53

Plan: Protein Power maintenance
Stats: 18/12/10 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress:

Happy 4th of July!!!!

I know I have been MIA....lurking but not posting. Glad to see everyone is doing well. I have not been eating well at all and tomorrow will be starting Atkins 72 induction. I know this is the only way to get back on track so tomorrow it is. Michele.....you are welcome to join me!

I will let Orang know she needs to come and say hi Her grandbaby came home from the hospital the other day

Enjoy the holiday!!!!!

to everyone!
  #53   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-04, 08:21
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hey all. Hope y'all are recovering from the long weekend.

Health vibes to Wendy. I know four people right now who are very sick with a cold/flu type of thing.

Can I do the "Five Things I Like About Myself" thing?

1. I like my long hair. I used to wish it was thicker, but that would just be more of a pain to take care of. I can wash it, tie it up and go.
2. I like my hands. I have long fingers.
3. I'm a pretty good cook, if I do say so myself.
4. I'm a pretty good musician, if I do say so myself.
5. I'm going to be a good piper. (Hey, these are things I like about myself, too bad about what it inflicts on my neighbors! )

Have a good day.
  #54   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-04, 09:35

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 166.5/146.5/145 Female 67 in.
BF:23.21%
Progress: 93%

Thanks for all the warm-wishes to get better! I feel much more normal today. DBF came over on Saturday while I was lounging in my jammies and drove me to a spot that we could see the fireworks from the car. It was very sweet of him.

The news here is that I made an internet purchase two nights ago at about 12 am when I couldn't sleep. Definitely not a habit I want to get into I bought the Tom Venuto's e-book "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle." If any of you have heard of it or are interested, let me know. It's basically a comprehensive nutrition, cardio, and weightlifting philosophy. I bought it mostly for informational purposes. I don't know how much I buy into it, especially the nutrition. I guess that's not entirely true. I think that the nutrition is probably very good for someone intensely working out, but I don't know that I have that kind of motivation right now. There are some basic principles that I'd like to incorporate into my own plans, such as cycling calories and carbs. I have stepped up my own exercising in the last couple weeks, though it is far from true cardio and weight training. I have started doing my new Pilates tapes which involve using resistance bands and 1 lb arm weights. I have also turned the walking I've been doing on the treadmill into spurts of interval running. I've noticed that this increase in intensity is definitely helping raise my energy for a long time afterwards. Anyway, I have no food, so I must go to the store. Have a good one!
  #55   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-04, 10:35

hey ellie,

what is atkins 72 induction? i was thinking of doing pahse I of PP, but i could be convinces to try someting new.

my current plan is to do some grocery shopping today and start some sort of intervention/induction tomorrow.

have a great day
michele
  #56   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-04, 11:04

BF:
Progress:

Rules for Atkins 72

Here's the food:
Allowed foods for week #1:

Meat:
Steaks, corned beef, lamb chops, hamburgers, bacon, any kind of meat in any quantity (except for meat with fillers like hot dogs, meatballs, packaged cold cuts).

Fowl: Duckling, turkey, chicken, anything with wings.

Desserts: Gelatin with artificial sweeteners.

Condiments: salt, pepper, mustard, horseradish, vinegar, vanilla, artificial sweetener, any spice without sugar in it.

Drinks: Water, mineral water, Vichy, club soda, beef or chicken broth, bouillon, sugar-free soda, coffee (under six cups caffeinated), tea.

Fish: All kinds of fish, canned salmon, seafood, EXCEPT oysters, clams, mussels, scallops, and pickled fish.

Eggs: unlimited, any style.

Salads: Two salads a day, each less then one cupful, loosely packed, made only of leafy greens, celery, or cucumbers and radishes. Dressings with vinegar, oil, salt, dry spices, herbs, grated cheese, or anchovies.

Butter and Mayo: Butter, mayo, lard, oil, shortening, margarine (this was before transfats information, so be careful).

Juice: Juice of one lime or lemon.

Cheese: Four ounces of any hard, aged cheese per day. NO cream cheese or cheese spreads.

Heavy Cream: Four teaspoons a day of heavy cream. NO milk.

Originally posted by Pogie - Excerpts from "Dr. Atkins' Diet Revolution"

quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
The first week, you stay at 0 carbs. Remember that the '72 plan does not use net carbs (do not deduct fiber or sugar alcohols). Now this 0 carb thing may not make sense, since leafy greens, celery, cucumbers, radishes and other allowable foods contain carbs. Atkins states on p. 134: "PLUS NUMBER 2: GREEN SALADS PLUS . . . The second plus is that you're allowed green salad with our lunch and dinner. Yes, even though this first week of the diet is called a carbohydrate-free diet and lettuce contains a tiny bit of carbohydrate. But in biological systems an approximation can do the job. Biology isn't quite like engineering. Given the amount of carbohydrate in these two salads, what happens in the body is approximately the same in 99 percent of dieters as if no salad had been eaten. ..."

BTW, PLUS NUMBER ONE is the steak plus almost any meat, fish, or fowl. He goes on to explain the protein to fat proportions that occur naturally in most meats, etc. We can have butter with lobster and so on.

PLUS NUMBER 3 he explains is filling, high-calorie snack foods. Rather than celery and carrot sticks (rabbit food) we are allowed imported cheeses of every description, stuffed olives, crisp fried pork rinds.

PLUS NUMBER 4: DESSERTS. The first week you can have carbohydrate-free gelatin desserts. If sweets are what you miss the most, in the following weeks you can have cheesecake (see page 240), macaroons, pudding, fresh strawberries in artificially sweetened whipped cream, mocha pie, chocolate mousse prepared the way this book recommends. ..."

PLUS NUMBER 5: EAT WHEN YOU WANT - BUT START WITH A BIG COZY BREAKFAST. He explains the benefits of eating in the morning.

The first week eat nothing that is not on the list (this list is posted for the most part at the beginning of the '72 Challenge Board).
"The Diet Revolution Rules:
1. Don't count calories.
2. Eat as much of the allowed foods as you need to avoid hunger.
3. Don't eat when you're not hungry.
4. Don't feel you must finish everything on your plate just because it's there.
5. Drink as much water or calorie-free beverages as thirst requires. Don't restrict fluids ... but it is not necessary to force them either.
6. Frequent small meals are preferable.
7. If weakness results from rapid weight loss, you may need salt.
8. Every day take a high-strength multivitamin pill.
9. Read the label on "low-calorie" drinks, syrups, desserts. Only those with no carbohydrate content are allowed."

p. 141 Chapter 13
"How to Follow the Diet - Level by Level

THE FIRST WEEK: EAT THE MOST, LOSE THE MOST." He explains the reason we can lose weight is that when there are no carbohydrates for fuel, the body is forced to burn its own fat. That it doesn't matter how rich the zero-carb foods are, since without carbs very little protein and fat can be stored as fat, so that no caloric deficit is needed. This is why the diet works.

On p. 143 he states that during the first week that cravings should diminish - that our compulsive-eating pattern should be going away. Several other things should be improved; i.e., energy level; heartburn; colitis; headaches .
p. 144: "This diet is fixed only for a week. After that - because it must be a lifetime diet, it is as variable as are individual tastes.
I've labeled the addition of carbohydrates that follow "second level," "third level," "fourth level," fifth level," but in fact the additions are interchangeable and flexible. You can make any of these additions any week that you choose. I could be very arbitrary and specify exactly what you may add each week. It would be simpler, much less confusing, and with much less possibility for error. But I don't impose that rigidity on my private patients, so why should I do that to you? I am so committed to making this a livable lifetime diet that I am letting you select your own variations, within the rules set up by your biological rule book.
On p. 145 he says, "... At each level, remember you will add approximately five to eight grams of carbohydrate daily for a week and analyze the results. Most of my patients agree that the best way to handle the second level is to add cottage cheese ... if you happen to like it. ... Ricotta or cottage cheese contains about one gram of carbohydrate per ounce, and I think the next addition might be as much as eight ounces of ricotta or cottage cheese a day. You may eat much less cottage cheese and have other goodies instead. There are other things that you might think would be terribly fattening, but they're not very high in carbohydrates. Example: certain kinds of nuts - walnuts, pecans, brazils, and macadamias - are the most suitable. One ounce of these averages under five grams of carbohydrate. Or you may want to have more cream in our coffee. Or use two or three slices of tomato or onion in your cooking. ... Just keep track of the grams of carbohydrate you're adding to the basic diet per day - keep them under eight - and take your choice. At the end of a week on the second level, check your progress. If you are still free of hunger, still losing, still "turning purple," you're ready for the third level." (Note: my ketostix never turned purple; I am fortunate is they register in the "small" zone. I don't worry about it too much, though.)

The third level, you add another five to eight grams more carbs. He does make suggestions of what food you can add, but like he says earlier, it is flexible and basically up to the individual. He does describe levels four and five, but I have not gotten that far, yet. But, in level four, you can add fruit. The fifth level is for those lucky enough to still have all the wonderful benefits - no hunger, good chemistry, purple Ketostix ... they could try using the soy flour. I have to study the upper levels a bit more before totally understanding them.
  #57   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-04, 11:08

BF:
Progress:

Hi everyone!! First day and I am feeling good and motivated!! I think I am going to have good results this time as I am hormone free. I chose Atkins 72 because I had good results back in February when I did it. I have let my eating get out of control the past few weeks and I am doing something about it before I start gaining back weight. Atkins 72 does not count net carbs and produces some pretty good results. I am also expecting TOM today so having some bloating issues going on as well.

Have a great day!!
  #58   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-04, 12:30
Flutterby

Plan: All that make sense
Stats: 220/212/160 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 13%

Atkins 72 sounds interesting. For me right now, it seems I have hit my "tilt-o-meter" with learning about carbs, meals, counting, figuring and planning. I am at status quo temporarily and need to just give it a rest and do what I am doing. Odd for me, cause I am a glutton for knowledge and info. But I have just hit that info wall, I guess.

Went to fireworks last nite, parked in my office parking lot, they were held on the street right behind my office, so we sat right there in my car. Best parking... there were 1000's of people for blocks and blocks. Every available parking lot was filled, but mine. Surprised me, cause the display started at 9:45 and we got there at 9:40 pm.. I thought we wouldnt be able to park there.. but. .across the street was packed. Anyways.. we had the best seat. But learned not to take the dog, jillie, the one we got back in november. She doesnt like them. Nope...Couldnt persuade her. Gave her double treats when we got home, and will have to pay dearly for counseling I am sure.

I, too, love reading other's lists about what they like about themselves..thanks for posting them. There was a time, that I would have had a hard time listing one thing that I liked about myself.

#59   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-04, 13:10

thank you ellie for posting that. i am not sure how strict i want to go.

am i correct in that induction is meat/cheese (4oz)/egg/cream (4tsp) only with 2 cups a salad(Lettuce, cukes, celery and radishes) per day. snack on pork rinds and sugar free jello. and drink lots of water??

so what did your menu look like for today?

thanks again for the info
  #60   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-04, 13:34

BF:
Progress:

You correct Michele, that is it. The good thing is that you go into ketosis very quickly and your appetite will drop significantly. Also, with this version....it is only the first week, unless you want to do it longer. Week 2 you can start adding more veggies, nuts, etc. Just make sure you add slowly. I plan on following it for about a month or so and then gradually go go back to PP.

Today:

B - 1 cup coffee w/ 1 TBS cream, liquid splenda
L - 4 strips bacon, 2 eggs over easy
S - 2 deviled eggs
D - Baked chicken, small green salad w/ vinegar based dressing
S - SF jello w/ dab of whipped cream

I am not good at water...drinking water flavored w/splenda
Closed Thread