Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 13:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%
Default A Charity Proposal

On Sunday I watched a Discovery Channel documentary, "Obesity Epidemic," with its constant theme of "doctors don't know what to do, what causes it, etc." which we all have heard in our own struggles with weight. Not one mention of low carb!

What really stuck with me, though, was the terrible struggles of the Pima Indians in Arizona. The national norm of obesity and diabetes is bad enough, but the Pima are even worse off.

http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/pima/index.htm

Children as young as three are being diagnosed with Type II diabetes, and their rate of complications is also worse than the norm.

Just a few days ago I finalized plans to launch a part time business venture, and my husband and I had already decided that a certain amount each week would go to charity.

So I am announcing my own charity project.

I want to get as many copies as possible of "Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution" to the Pima Indians. I have already sent an email regarding bulk buys of the book. I am still figuring out who to send it to, (maybe the library in Sacaton, AZ, or the Gila River Health Care Corporation) but just having it around means someone will pick it up and try it, perhaps.

I saw clips of people exercising to help control their diabetes, and then sitting down to a meal of corn, peas, rice, and macaroni. The medical community seems to worry more about about parceling out the dialysis machines, and doing the genetic research, than actually recommending what actually works. And we all know how the Diabetes Association feels about low carb.

I just feel strongly that I must do something for these people who seem trapped by their own bodies. And we all know what that feels like.

I'm going to do it even if I only send a couple of copies along. But I wanted to give everyone else an opportunity to offer advice, books, funds, or any comments.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 13:59

Plan: Atkins/Bernstein
Stats: 240/171/130 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I also saw that program...very sad. American Indians, Hispanics and African Americans are not but a couple of centuries from living in a feast/famine situation. Most European descendents have had access to food year round...not much famine in the last few centuries and not much effort to buy the food they ate.

The ethnic groups that are so challenged with Diabetes right now have inherited the "thrifty" gene that made it possible for them to survive in famine and also have the energy to gather and hunt food. Now that groups (such as the Pimas) simply go to the grocery store and buy food; they do not have famine or energy exertion to procure food. So the "thrifty" gene still is hard at it...storing fat.

I admire your intentions about Dr Bernsteins book, but I think it will take a lot more than that to educate those people on diet and lifestyle. They seem very resigned to the fact that they will get Diabetes soonor or later....and to be honest, they probably will. It takes a lot of encouragement, education and $ to begin a LC campaign. We really don't have LC in the mainstream right now in our society. Most likely, the Pima's doctors would tell them how horrible Dr B's diet is.

I admire your compassion. Wish it would be that easy.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 21:56

Plan: Dr Richard K. Bernstein
Stats: 227/193/145 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress:

Today I was watching the "Food Network" and Rachael Ray did a 30 min segment on lo-carb food First time I have seen lo-carb done on a network or cable show progres is slow but ifwe keep on with the keeping on many will join our ranks.
Al. C.

Last edited by acongleton : Mon, Jan-12-04 at 22:01.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 21:53

Stats: 160/157/130 Female 5'4''
BF:39.5
Progress:

Been on Atkins for 2 wks...some weight loss but lots of low blood sugar episodes...usually after eating a good dinner...any suggestions!! thanks!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 15:29

Stats: 284/270/130 Female 5 ft. 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

adkpam, first let me say I am in awe of your kindness.

However, Amerindians have been eating corn, beans and squash for centuries (see http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...uash+indigenous for more information about the food trinity of Amerindians). I suspect that there is something more to it than the excess carbohydrates. Although, obviously, getting people to eat fewer processed carbs and more naturally-occuring carbs sure wouldn't hurt.

Again, I don't post this to rain on your parade. I just wanted to show you that the diet of Native Americans has been carb heavy for a long time now.

~~Amaara