Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Mar-09-09, 12:42

Plan: Atkins/Bernstein
Stats: 240/171/130 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Thanks guys...where do I find a program in Atlanta, Ga?

OMG! 22 grams of carbs per shake...oh well! Thanks, but no thanks...

Last edited by Sherrielee : Mon, Mar-09-09 at 20:46. Reason: add another question
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Mar-10-09, 03:55

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (modified )
Stats: 298/205/199 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrielee
Thanks guys...where do I find a program in Atlanta, Ga?

OMG! 22 grams of carbs per shake...oh well! Thanks, but no thanks...

Sherri - If you are t2 22 grams per shake is very manageable.

I noticed that too. If you have readings in the 80-90s before meals, then 22 carbs will raise bg up to the neighborhood of 100-120 and they will go back down. The 5 shakes are spread across the day and are easily separated by about 3 hours.

If you are type 1 then you must cover them with the appropriate bolus injection.

Very doable.

=============================================

Cajunboy, yes it is a drastic measure to get my weight back down and THIS time I must keep it down.

It isn't as drastic as a Lap Band, which I am now getting ready to do; but I have had serious second thoughts. I rather do the medically assisted quick loss again without the surgery. So that is my perspective. I have attended a lap band group meeting and I have seen many people who have defeated both the lap band and the bariatric by-pass surgery.

So here I am at 65, having regained weight several times. I am up against the wall with sleep apnea (CPAP), controlled high blood pressure (4 pills), controlled T2 diabetes (insulin dependent), aching joints, etc., etc.,

For me this is my last try.

I must succeed.

Ralph
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Mar-10-09, 05:31

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adorablema
So I have been stalled for about a year. There have been small variations in there but I never get below a certain point. I started Met a few months ago and lost about 2 more pounds but that is it.

I am so sick of eating. I am so sick of sticking to the diet and not losing. I am taking Metformin ER at night to counterbalance the dawn effect. I took 1500 last night only to wake up to 144 fbg. So frustrating.

To top it all off I am only 44 and I keep thinking crap I have a long time to go.

AND my back is killing me today and I have a ton of house work to get my home ready to rent within the next few days. I could go on but I won't...

Any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

You say you are sick of sticking to the diet and not losing. Well, if you're not losing, maybe sticking to the diet doesn't work.

Dr. Eades noted that cheese, nuts and artificial sweeteners stall fat loss for many. So, cut those out for a week and see what gives. Then if that doesn't work, cut out all carbs for week and see what gives. Then if that doesn't work, cut out all supplements, vitamins, fish oils, protein powders, etc, for a week and see what gives. Then if that doesn't work, increase your food intake (which will probably be just fat meat and water at this point) especially fat for a week and see what gives.

I know that "increase your food intake" sounds crazy but have you tried it? Anyway, you've been on this for a long time. What's a couple more weeks? At least then, you'll know what makes you tick.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Mar-10-09, 07:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

You've lost loads of weight - which is a fantastic achievement, and 140 lbs is light, in my opinion. I'm female, and my goal of 150lbs is a normal weight for my height, although ideally I feel much better and look lean at around 143. Maybe your body just likes being where it is. I agree with everyone else's advice in this thread.. If you need a break, and are quite disciplined, and not a carboholic, then you could try what I did recently. I decided to give the "diet" mentality a break, and maintain for a while, because I was recouperating after being very ill in December.. I was very careful to avoid triggering cravings, or blood sugar problems, so I ate extra low carb at breakfast and lunch, which allowed *occasional* indulgences later in the day without being overwhelmed by the need to eat everything in sight afterwards. (The indulgences were things like champagne (once or twice), chocolate (several times), a sweet dessert (once), nuts (often), cream (daily), an unsweetened barley drink (several times a day) etc.). It wasn't the healthiest or best way to maintain, and it has left my blood sugar less stable than before, but it was good for me psychologically to have a break, and now I feel refreshed and ready to restart actively trying to lose weight. I know for some people this could have led to a slippery slope, but having eaten/cooked low-carb since last August, and loved every mouthful, I didn't even consider changing my regular meals, so adding these things occasionally didn't throw me too much out of kilter. You're the best judge of whether you could do the same without going totally off the rails.

Best of luck.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Mar-10-09, 09:10
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

If you're going to take a break, do it with low carb foods. Make yourself a low carb cheesecake or something, don't start goofing around with high carb crap, it's just going to foul up your blood sugar and make you regain. These forums are loaded with people "taking a day off" who end up taking several months off and regaining all their weight. As a diabetic, there are no breaks. Just work on making your diet appealing enough that you don't need a break from it.

I think a lot of people had to work through addictions to food and IMHO taking a break is like having a "heroin" vacation or something. You don't go back. The ideal path is to make this for life but make it enjoyable. Find your treats in the low carb cooking forums and those become your breaks.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Mar-10-09, 19:02

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

A person's diet is whatever they're eating, there's no such thing as taking a break from a diet...
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Mar-11-09, 08:07

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

"A person's diet is whatever they're eating"
That's one definition.Another is an eating pattern designed to cause weight loss.Too early in the morning for word games.
<yawn>
Eddie
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Mar-11-09, 09:06

Eddie,

You wrote that at 9am and say it's too early...

Perhaps you need a new diet so you can get your day started earlier.

Ron
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Mar-11-09, 11:07

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Ron
I had to come into work at 4AM this morning-had about 3 hours sleep.You're probably right about my needing a new diet.
My weight loss has stalled again.I'm trying to convince myself
to do a locarb Slimfast for breakfast and lunch for a couple of weeks and see how that works.I'm pretty close to my weight goal but just can't seem to get there.
<sigh>,<yawn>
Eddie
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Mar-11-09, 12:20

I hate early morning starts! My wife has me convinced that not enough rest/sleep equals diabetes and weight issues and she's always reminding me to keep a good mood....

I'm pretty sick of my present diet not allowing me to lose weight. I had reached goal and it has crept up. I'm floating at 8 to 10 pounds over my goal weight and I too need to shake things up and not sure how to do it.

My wife points out that I've not been sick in a long time and reducing nutritional levels below what's needed just to lose those pounds again might cause me to get sick... Dilemna

We're both involved in a business start up at the moment and routine in diet, exercise, etc.. is on the back burner... Perhaps in a couple of weeks, I'll run out of excuses to not get my weight down....

Ron

Comment to original poster: Stalls, maintenance, etc... It's an ever ending battle. Here, in french, we say; "lache pas la patate", which translates literally to "don't let go of the potato" with a meaning of; "hang in there"...........
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Mar-19-09, 10:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins '72 or close
Stats: 260/242/140 Female 5 ft 3 in
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default Thanks to everyone

Thank you all for your kind support. I decided in the past few weeks to just maintain. I've had a few things I wouldn't normally eat and I still weighd every day to keep up with the news good or bad. Well I had gained 8 pounds before I decided to watch it and I have realized in the past few days that I have actually changed a lot of habits where carbs really used to add up. I still don't do sandwiches every day, the most I might eat of bread is a half slice of toast, anyhow, I'm losing with eating a few MORE carbs than what I was. I don't know if this would apply to everyone out there because now I am taking 2000 mg of met a day and I think that is what is doing it. I have been eating a smaller lunch and that helps, just nuts, also prunes, or a lunchmeat rollup with mayo, mustard, and cheese inside. I have also eaten several batches of 24 hour super fermented yogurt, Mainly I think that it's the met finally kicking in and giving it some carbs to burn so the system goes off of starvation. Anyway, I've lost 10 pounds in the last week with eating more carbs than I would have ever expected to lose on. BG still within reasonable values.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Adorablema : Thu, Mar-19-09 at 11:01.