Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-21-02, 13:51

Plan: Not sure. 30g max a day
Stats: 162/142/130
BF:
Progress: 63%
Talking Brand new and needing encouragement

I started the low carb diet about a month ago. I have lost 10 lbs. I am a complete carb addict. I am needing some encouragement to help fight the cravings and to keep shooting for my goal. It's difficult when I don't have any friends or family to do this with. Any advice on how to keep going? Any snacks to help fight the cravings? I would love any feedback. My husband is an amazing support, but I would like to have some encouragement from those who are going through the same fight...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-21-02, 15:20
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi and welcome!

As great as this forum is, I think the best encouragement you could get is from one of the LC books. If you can't buy one, check some out of the library. It's really important - it makes this way of life much more livable, IMHO, when you know exactly how and why you're doing what you're doing. It won't seem like a "fight".

If you're having about 30 grams per day, Protein Power might be a good plan for you. If you haven't already, check out the "which low carb plan is right for me?" link over to the right ->

Enjoy!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-21-02, 17:48

Plan: 60 carbs a day
Stats: 155/140/125
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hi...

The hardest part is over ... recognizing your need to be a thin person and taking the first steps to make a thinner you materialize!

I prefer an eating plan that is not a complicated one. One that the results of "staying the course" are evident in a short period of time. This works for me. Allow myself to eat up to 60 carbs a day. Lately I haven't come close to my daily quota! I don't do bread ... treats or low carb candy bars...keep an eye on fat content and keep portions reasonable and have reasonable expectations as to how long it should take to get the weight off.

Having people around that support you makes it a lot easier to reach your goal. This way of eating will carry over to the way that you can control your weight for as long as you chose to be thin.

Some snacks that I enjoy are bell peppers cut into chunks and dipped into cream cheeze with just a touch of soy sauce, or chopped liver and eggs served on celery sticks. If I must snack. I love cottage cheeze and if I am having a food attack I will add some fruit and a few walnuts and mix that with the cottage cheeze for a treat. I can snack on pork rinds or stringbeans if I have to...but I will not raise a spoon or a fork loaded with cabohydrates to my mouth.

I regularly make a pot of cabbage soup and this varies from with tomatoes to without tomatoes and keep one on hand at all times or a pot of chicken soup. This will allow an easy to fix meal in a few minutes heated in the microwave. Eating foods that are high protein is not cheap...so I look for specials at the meat counter and stock up... a thin cut pork chop for breakfast with an egg is a treat for me! (I have lots of great recipies!)

If you enjoy cooking ...stuffed peppers are ideal and so is rolled cabbage. A good roast with limited potatoes and carrots hits the spot and the left overs can be made into beanless chili and served over franks.... I eat limited amount of fruit... peaches, strawberries, grapefruit...and combine them with sour cream at times. Salads are always on the menu and Spinich, eggs and bacon with hot dressing is a favorite of mine....hope this helps...just stay focused on the image of the person that you would like to see staring back at you from the mirror and before long she will be!

Gwen