Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-02, 09:40

Plan: Schwar
Stats: 150/150/130
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question Substitute for Eggs / Trying to Conceive

Hi.

I'm just getting started on the Schwarzbein diet. I'm in my mid-30's and trying to get pregnant (I have PCOS). My symptoms are mild (it took 4 yrs to diagnose) with the only issue being infertility and very slightly irregular periods. I could probably stand to lose 10 pounds, but really not much more than that. I have thick hair and no hyturism (sp?). Anyway, I thought I would give this diet a go to see if it can help me. I eat very little meat (no red meat) and no eggs. I had some kind of back experience when I was a child and now I can't get close to eggs without gagging. That's a cooked egg in ANY form. My husband has tried making omelets, scrambled, etc and I start to throw up when I try to eat them. What can I substitute? I eat fish and chicken, but can't see eating those every day. HELP!

pooh
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-02, 16:18

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Hi Pooh -

Its nice to meet you!

The SP is easily adaptable to a more vegetarian diet...there is a vegetarian cookbook and you may want toconsider buying it to give you some non-meat options. Also...many people survive not eating eggs...some are allergic and some just hate them the way you do. Who said you can't have chicken for breakfast? What about cheese - ricotta, cottage cheese etc? There's also oatmeal (allowed on SP) etc. What aboutfrying up some sliced zucchini and mushrooms and pouring a hollandaise sauce over them? You may just have to not eat "breakfast" foods.

Good luck

Lisa
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-02, 16:40

Plan: Schwar
Stats: 150/150/130
BF:
Question Protein Powder Question

Thanks for the ideas. I'm so use to cereal and other "traditional" breakfast foods that this is gonna be tough!! I have bought the veg. cookbook so I'm trying to work up some meal plans. Is protein powder an acceptable form of protein? I was thinking of making fruit smoothies and thought maybe if I put a scoop in, that would give me the protein I needed to eat with the fruit.

pooh
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-02, 18:08

Plan: TSP
Stats: 147/147/135 Female 5'2"
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 54%

Hi and welcome. I occasionally mix my own protein shake from the basic recipe I got out of a book by Dana Carpendar("How I gave up my low fat diet and lost 40 pounds") I feel it is balanced , fairly sp., quick and easy. I have it when I am in a hurry or just don't really want much of a breakfast, although it does require hf store shopping to have the items at hand.

I use: 1/3 cup of powdered dry milk ~which isn't very sp (because I don't like soy milk)but you could use a soy milk, yogurt or watered down cream. I suppose you could use some cottage cheese also watered down (but personally that doesn't appeal to me anymore than eggs appeal to you)

I also use powdered dry egg whites ( I don't know if you can stand the whites or not but they do have a lot of protein if you like them.)

add powdered (LC) protein powder (I use one from 'Trader Joe's)/lecithin granules( these could make up for the egg yolk) a little flax seed/wheat germ/& or nut butter,fresh or frozen fruit or extracts and stevia to sweeten there are many varities/combos. I find these combos real thick but you could use a little guar gum in it also to thicken. Of course whirl in the blender or food processor.

I sometimes have some cottage cheese with fruit or veggies/ a piece of good ww toast spread with a healthy nut butter for a quick no cook breakfast.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-18-02, 00:29
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Tofu!

Scrambled with tomatoes and a bit of curry or herbs, fried with soy and ginger.

Firm tofu makes a great "egg salad" with mayonnaise, celery and onion.

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-18-02, 08:59

Plan: Scharzbein principle
Stats: 187/187/147 Female 166cm
BF:

Hi Pooh,

I am a PCOSer too.

I eat things like ryvitas with cream cheese/ yogurt / couple of slices of bacon for breakfast

I think you'll find that cutting out the processed stuff and eat more veg etc will help your symptoms.

I am part of a PCOS group here in Ireland and lots of the women are eating low carb with lots of success.

Clo