Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-31-02, 20:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 143/138/120 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default Lactose Intolerant, having problems

Hello,

I've been doing the low carb thing off and on for two years now. I started with SugarBusters, but like Schwarzbein as well. She's a little less faddish, much more scientific, if that's a good reason.

I have dropped my cholesterol significantly. I was borderline high, but now within a good range on a total cholesterol. So, I believe in this way of eating for me -- the change in cholesterol with all the fats in the plan proved it to me.

But, the weight - that's the problem. I can't handle the cravings. I've always been a compulsive overeater. I don't binge, but I do overeat. I have a lot of stress in my life (severly disabled child and other things).

The other problem is that I am lactose intolerant. I can eat butter, light cream, yogurt, and hard cheeses. But, cottage cheese and other stuff is off limits. So, that makes many of the recepies difficult to follow and really limits what I eat.

Anyone else in this boat? What substitutions have you found that worked?

I am also a bread addict. It is so tough to shake that habit.

Any advice is really appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-01-02, 06:38

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Hi JemsMom --

I can't say I'm lactose intolerant but I do know that many people onthis board avoid dairy because they may be allergic which can stall weight loss.

My only suggestion is to go out onto the web and find lowcarb sites with lots of recipes and start collecting ones without dairy. You are luck you can have butter and light cream! That will help a lot!

As for the bread...what can I say? Have yet to meet a lowcarber who wasn't a bread addict. If it is really a problem for you I do suggest avoiding it like the plague. Get your carbs from another source!

Cravings can be tough to handle but here are a few strategies when they rear their ugly heads:
1. Have a huge glass of water. Still want it?
2. Eat some protein! And a fair amount of it too. Still hungry?
3. Now have a small amount of carb.

Alternatively, find other things to do. Eating to excess is really a habit. Personally, I try to do yoga inthe evenings to curb the cravings. Exercise is a great help to cravings...it will helprenew your committment to eating well and benefit you inthe process.

Good luck!

Lisa
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-01-02, 07:32
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hello JemsMom!

I feel confident in saying that a large percentage of people who come to low-carbing are addicted to some form of carbs, whether they be starch or sugar.

You sound like you are contemplating change and are starting know what is needed to get that change underway. We all have the ability to change. It's not instant but making small changes leads to knowing more about yourself.

Something you might try is doing a strict Atkins Induction for two weeks to break you of the cycle. It's not easy, but don't give up on yourself. Carb addiction is physical as well as mental and spiritual and it's the first step in breaking the physical addiction. Then, incorporate Schwarzbein's principles into your daily life.

Dairy is not important to following this way of life. Fresh protein, good fats and vegetables along with the low-glycemic foods on Schwarzbein are all you really need. Try one or two different recipes a week and incorporate them into your repetoire.

The thing about compulsive overeating is that no matter how much you do it, the demons that plague you are still there. They don't go away, no matter how much you eat.

Wanting to be sincerely free of addiction is a good motivator and there are routes that can help you achieve that. Some people choose therapy, others go to groups like Overeaters Anonymous and there are also books by Geneen Roth and others to give you a hand as well as a few websites: Something Fishy and Mirror-Mirror.

There is no shame at all in being a compulsive overeater and the first step towards freedom is being willing to do what it takes.

I know you've got what it takes!

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-03-02, 14:23
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein Principal
Stats: 147/147/115
BF:
Progress: 0%
Smile Have you tried tofu?

Hello!

Although I'm not lactose-intolerant, I'm a vegetarian, so I have certain limitations too. A while back when I was looking for some tofu recipes on these boards, I found some that were for things like sour cream made with tofu. Often you will find products that substitute tofu for the dairy for lactose-intolerant people. Have you ever tried them? Lots of good protein in tofu (some carbs but also fiber, so it's not that bad). In case you're making a face at the thought of tofu , remember that tofu is pretty tasteless on its own and therefore is very good as a tag-along with other things. Try doing a search on these boards under "tofu" and I think you'll find the discussions. Also, eating the firmer tofu marinated isn't such a bad idea either, as an alternative to meat products.

Well, just a vegetarian's perspective, anyway...

I can sympathize with the cravings. My weakness was sour babies and pretzels. I used to eat them by the handful because I thought, "Well, they're not that bad, they're low-fat, right?" I do feel myself sometimes overeating, even on low-carbing, although it's better because you feel satisfied quicker and for a longer period of time. Sometimes I just can't believe that I'm not starving anymore! I don't wake up starving, I can go for 5 or 6 hours and not be starving (though I try not to do this as it's not healthy), and I can stop myself even when the plate is not empty. Perhaps you could try a sort of safety-net tactic, i.e., eat till you're full (and be honest with yourself) but save the rest so you have that reassurance that if you need it, you can finish it up. (I personally find it very difficult now to throw any food away because it takes so much effort and time to make it! If I'm going to spend half an hour preparing that frittata, I will eat the entire thing, even if that means at snack time and lunch time the next day!

Tal