Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Fri, Jun-09-06, 08:28
Registered Member

Plan: M&E Maintenance <5carbs
Stats: 170/109.5/115 Female 5'1"-5'2" w/ shoes
BF:31.1%/21.3%/19%
Progress: 110%

It works for maintaining just fine. I could continue and eat the same way (0 carb) and my body would set it's own weight as long as was consuming enough fat, protein, calories. It is not a starvation diet where you would continue to loose indefinitely.

I have maintained about 111-114 for almost a month now. I have no set plans for my future as far as eating is concerned.

My issues are not as much related to weight as they are in pure health. Some people think veggies are harmless and for most they are, but not for some, and I am one of them. I over do veggies and I can be literally bed bound. I am not militant with other's diets. I feel to each his own and we each are only experts in what works for us. I know I have tried other plans and while I did loose weight I was not healthy.
I am now. So if it means now I am ok with a salad every other day then I will continue. If I notice joint pains and other signs then the salads will be gone. If I do the salads awhile and notice I am still doing well and everything is stable I may add in another veggie carb. For most, the balance has to do with gaining weight, and while I am happy where I am at now and want to stay this way my balance has to do with my disease control. I know that my future will mean constant changing of things and I am not opposed to that.

I am also not alone in my way of eating. There are people that have maintained this WOE for most of their adult life. Just because people do not come online and post their stories does not mean they do not exist. They do

Here is an email I sent to a list I own. A member was asking about my WOE....

You had asked about my WOE in regards to health issues I have. I have lupus and type 2 diabetes. I have tried ADA, South Beach and Atkins. Both helped me loose some weight BUT I never had full blood glucose control and my lupus was very active with swollen sore arthritic joints. I had 0 energy to do anything. I had done some reading about how super low carb cut down on inflammatory processes and approached my DR about it. He did say that he had learned that too and together we decided that a 0 carb or as close to 0 (consuming no grains, veggies, sugars) would be ok to try. I did this for a few weeks and he checked me out with lab work. My lab work was fine and he ok'ed it longer and I have had lab work done monthly. My A1C is now in the normal range, my lupus flags are all normal so that is in remission, my joints are not swollen (unless I overdo my carb up days), I have my energy back and my life. I am now in college again and able to work full time and be a real mom to my 4 young kids. I have done this since January and have lost about 30 lbs since then.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Fri, Jun-09-06, 22:38

Plan: Maintenance (PPLP)
Stats: 216/131/140 Female 5 feet, 5 inches
BF:48.79/21.19/23
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSherry
It works for maintaining just fine. I could continue and eat the same way (0 carb) and my body would set it's own weight as long as was consuming enough fat, protein, calories. It is not a starvation diet where you would continue to loose indefinitely.

It does seem that most of us tend to stall out on our own when our bodies are at a weight it wants, rather than have to intentionally stop weight loss....I've seen a few that have had to intentionally stop.

My weight loss definitely slowed on its own, I have yet to see if I will gradually drop more -- think I could if I "forced", but I don't want to put myself in the position of restricting.

Quote:
I have maintained about 111-114 for almost a month now. I have no set plans for my future as far as eating is concerned.

Do you miss carbs, or fear at some point that you will? Or, have they just become a forbidden food with a choice between eating badly v. health?

Quote:
My issues are not as much related to weight as they are in pure health. Some people think veggies are harmless and for most they are, but not for some, and I am one of them. I over do veggies and I can be literally bed bound. I am not militant with other's diets. I feel to each his own and we each are only experts in what works for us. I know I have tried other plans and while I did loose weight I was not healthy.

I am the same way....I've lost weight successfully through plenty of trendy diets over a period of 18 years. I started LC at the highest weight I've ever been, and was scared to death an unhealthy diet would simply do more damage. I HAD to feel very confident that this was a healthy way to eat.
As much as I did, very much, want to lose weight, health concerns were the number one priority.

Is it just veggies that your body seems unable to tolerate? Do you have bad reactions to LC bread, fruit, nuts? You mentioned before dairy doesn't sit well with you.

My dad is diabetic, went on a doctor prescribed LC that was along the lines of SB. Had a lot of trouble at first keeping his blood sugar even, I could see where eliminating all carbs could help with that specific issue. I could also see where a larger quantity of healthy fats would attack inflammation and LDL/HDL issues.

Have you had any problems with vitamin deficiencies and felt the need to supplement with antioxidants/flavonoids?

I could probably live off of meat/eggs/cheese long term myself (not forever, but a long time). I'm an extremely picky eater, really don't like veggies that much, and still have to work to keep enough in my diet on a regular basis. If I lower my carbs in the 10/15 range tho and don't get at least three servings on *most days, I feel it -- I'm fatigued, my muscles/joints ache, and I struggle to breathe. Thankfully, the dark greens are veggies that my eating preferences tolerate best, and over time, I've learned to actually enjoy them, especially since I can smother them in fat, LOL.

Quote:
I am also not alone in my way of eating. There are people that have maintained this WOE for most of their adult life. Just because people do not come online and post their stories does not mean they do not exist. They do

My thoughts/opinions upthread are based solely on what I have seen in this forum. This is the only place where I have seen a fairly large group practicing a LC WOE/WOL. I did see, tho, plenty of m/e "fasters"....enough to form an opinion that it was risky after watching them long term, but I do think a large factor is the mindset of dieting to lose weight v. a real WOL.

Dieting to lose weight thinking one can go back to eating normally at some point is a common misconception with all "diets", LC, and certainly m/e, being no exception. However, I think those with this mindset tend to lean more to extremes.

One can declare their WOE as a WOL all day long, but the true test is when that weight is finally off...IMO, it isn't until this point that the WOE does truly become a WOL....IF it does actually become a WOL.

Another thing to look at, well within the topic of this thread is the actual definition of what "success" is. For some, achieving weight loss is solely their success. For those of us who have existing medical problems/disorders or abused our bodies for a number of years -- improving health is a large deciding factor of success.

There are purist and hedonist approaches to each and every LC plan out there, and I do agree with you that we are our own experts in what best works for us....not only what is best for our own bodies, but also our own goals in what we want to achieve out of this WOL. Those things are definitely going to vary among each individual.

Man, that was a friggin ramble! My apologies to anyone that actually got this far. LOL.
  #78   ^
Old Mon, Jun-12-06, 06:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 248/149.2/148 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

Success for me is truly..feeling good...when my hypoglycemia is undercontrol...Im a new person....energetic, alive and active!

I do measure some of the success as weight....but I honestly think my weight is just icing on the cake....

BTW: I just realized I acheived maintenance almost a year ago....wow
  #79   ^
Old Tue, Oct-03-06, 11:27

Plan: ---
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
For me, I would not have been able to sustain a M&E type food plan for almost 2 yrs to lose my weight. Nor a Paleo or other no carb plan. I enjoy and do well eating veggies and fruit.

Interesting thread, but I must point out that Paleo is not 'no carb' - it's meat/poultry/fish/eggs/vegetables/fruit/nuts (essentially).