Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-02, 00:24

Plan: The Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 200/190/120
BF:
Progress: 13%
Cool I am new to this way of eating

A big HI to all of you,

I am new to this diet, just read the book today in one sitting. I am eager to try this way of eating even though I am 6 months pregnant. I believe I am insulin resistant but not diabetic or anything...yet. I did not test positive for gestational diabetes so I am very glad about that.

I have been eliminating almost all refined foods from my diet, but I still end up eating some refined bread and sugary desserts from time to time. I contantly think about desserts and bread products even the whole grain kind. So I think I am definately a carb addict.

I have Hashimotos Thyroiditis witch is an autoimmune thyroid disease, I cannot stop taking my medicine however because my thyroid function is pretty low. Hopefully when my metabolism gets back to its normal functioning self and my hormones get stablized I might be able to lower my dosage....who knows.

I am about 70 lbs over weight, but I am not going to diet so to speak because I am pregnant and I don't want to harm the baby but I do want to be able to eat the food I need in the amounts I need to help me heal.

I would be very interested in anyone's input for beginners or if someone has been pregnant on this diet before.

Thanks,

Stephanie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-29-02, 15:03

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Hi, Stephanie

I've been meaning to write you for a while. Congratulations on your baby.

I just wanted to wish you luck and make a little suggestion:

Try cutting out the sweets all together. As long as you are still eating them a little bit, you are continuing your addiction to them. I know it will be hard, but if you can stop eating them, in no time at all you will notice that they don't have so much hold over you.

This WOE will eventually give you power over those sweet foods that are so detrimental to your health.

So, keep us posted on how you are doing. Start a journal, it's lots of fun.

;-Deb
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-29-02, 20:11

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%
Default re: low-carb pregnancy

First of all congratulations! I hope your pregnancy is going well. During my pregnancy I ate a high-carb mainly vegetarian diet. I tried to eat enough protein, but I don't think I did. I gained 42#. To lose that weight, I followed the Zone diet, which is very similar to the maintenance phase of SP. I have been breastfeeding, which requires even more calories than pregnancy. It worked well for me. I started the diet at 6wks pp and lost all the weight at 7mo pp. You need more carbs during pregnancy and breastfeeding, but most or all of these can come from vegetables, fruit and nuts. Since you can eat all the non-starchy vegetables you want, you'll get plenty of nutrients and fiber. I think this is an ideal diet for pregnancy. Good luck to you!

Jen
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-04-02, 08:19

Plan: The Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 200/190/120
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Thanks for the replies!

I have been following the SP for about a week now, not exclusively though, but people have already commented on the fact I look thinner even though the scale is not really showing much of a loss. My body must be reportioning itself.

I am eating plenty of food, I would never restrict my eating just to lose weight, I wanted to do it safely and wisely and I think this diet is perfect for that.

Thanks for the replies! I have purchased the cookbook, does anyone know where I can find more recipes online?

Thanks,
Stephanie
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-06-02, 08:16

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default pregnancy article

LowCarb Luxury just published this artcile about pregnancy and low carbing:

http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/newsle...3-no07-pg2.html

It may help.

As far as recipes, I mostly use the TSP cookbook and old cookbooks (pre low-fat era).

;-Deb
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-06-02, 08:18

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Stephanie - congratulations on your baby! I must confess that I am envious that you found SP while pregnant - I wish I had because I may have avoided the 10 lb 10 oz baby! (okay- I did have an entirely natural homebirth...but still - he was HUGE)

Seriously, I wasn't GD either but I do think that insulin resistance can play a role in making larger than average babies. If I ever have another one, I'll probably keep low-carbing (in moderation, a la SP) to see if it makes a difference.

I think SP is perfect for pregnancy - it is very balanced and nutritious. You may want to consider eating carbs at a level of an active person as opposed to sedate...you are burning 300 more calories than usual at the moment. Also, at 190, I would think that you wouldn't want to actually lose anymore weight at the moment. Now that you are in your 3rd trimester, that baby is going to be gaining a 1/2 lb a week!

Good luck - can't wait to hear your progress!

Lisa