Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-17, 18:39

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 260/260/185 Male 6"2
BF:
Progress:
Default Hello great to be here!

Greetings, my name is Chris. Just starting out on my Paleo journey. I started today, Im sure the days and weeks ahead will be challenging, I look forward to getting through the tough period (i.e.: cravings etc.) and when this diet/lifestyle becomes second nature. Im mostly interested in weight loss and of course a sustainable lifestyle change to my overall health, which is why I am going with Paleo over simply doing Atkins. I realize many have their own opinions and I welcome them, it just seems from my readings, research and opinion at this particular time, that Paleo is more in line with what I am looking for health wise, while Atkins is more about weight loss only. However, realizing I have a lot to learn, from what I can see the only real differences is the dairy (cheese etc.).
Anyway, great to be here, I look forward to learning as much as possible and likewise sharing my experiences as I go. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-17, 05:08

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome Chris,
The great thing about Paleo is that you can adjust the carbohydrate intake depending on your goals and current activity, what Mark Sisson calls the Carbohydrate Curve. Paleo to me focuses more on the food quality issues of using real foods, completely eliminating sugar, all grains, processed oils and dairy.
Many of us here do both, Eat Real foods while also keeping total carbs low. Atkins allows only limited, high-fat dairy, and didn't get into the question of processed oils much, except avoid trans-fats.
Keep it simple to start and you'll see the benefits of both. All the best,
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-17, 16:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 315/230/185 Male 5'9
BF:
Progress: 65%

Welcome Chris!! You have to a great place for support & advice for your journey into a new way of life. As you said there are a lot of opinions, but the one underlying theme to the folks who are successful long term is "consistency". Weight loss is not linear. Just start stringing those OP days together & the weight will take care of itself. Jey100 is such a good resource. Also have a open mind & don't be afraid to tweak what you are doing to what works best for you.

I wish you the best & look forward to following your journey.

Chris
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-17, 17:30

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Just remember that when it comes to dietary quality, type and amount of carbohydrate is one of the more important qualities to keep an eye one, and you'll do fine. Sweet potatoes are not a high quality food if they spike your blood glucose, or keep your triglycerides elevated--if you are type II or insulin resistant.