Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 17:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Thumbs down "Fitness for Every Body: Daily exercise in portions is better than none at all"

Fitness for Every Body: Daily exercise in portions is better than none at all

Friday, February 6, 2004, ALEX & SHERRI MCMILLAN for The Columbian

http://www.columbian.com/02062004/life/115244.html

excerpt:

Question: I'm so confused. I've heard that low carb is the way to go, then I heard a high carb diet is better for energy levels. Then, that high protein will help with fat loss but I just read an article that said high protein can lead to numerous health complications. I always thought low fat was the healthy choice but with the popularity of the Atkins diet, now I don't know.

C.G., Vancouver

Answer: You are not the only one who is confused. There is a diet war that has emerged and the only losers are the consumers. Rest assured that whatever diet is popular today, it is nothing new and we've seen it before. High protein, low carb, etc. has all been sold to us previously and has now just been repackaged under a new name or book. The recommendations suggested by the American Dietetics Association, the American Heart Association and the American Cancer Association are based on decades and decades of really good research conducted by top-notch scientists. They have nothing to gain financially from suggesting a certain type of diet and therefore can provide us with unbiased recommendations. The general consensus is as follows:

You will want to ensure your diet is 60 percent to 65 percent carbohydrate content. That means fruits, vegetables, whole grain breads, pastas and rice. No more than 10 percent of this amount should come from simple carbohydrates (cakes, etc.). Complement this with a diet that is 20 percent to 30 percent fat content and 15 percent to 20 percent protein, which includes meats, soy and dairy products.

It is important to note that, although protein deficiency plays a role in the development of osteoporosis, too much protein can also promote bone loss. So it is imperative that we get the correct amount of protein but avoid eating protein in excess. There are numerous other health complications that can surface if you take your diet out of balance for too long. If you think about dividing your plate into four sections that may help. One section should be a protein source, one section a grain and the last two sections should be fruit, vegetable or a combination of the two. The biggest problem most Americans have is portion size so follow these guidelines: one portion of meat is equal to 3 ounces (or the size of the palm of your hand); one serving of grains, vegetables or fruit is typically the size of a tennis ball.

Alex and Sherri McMillan are owners of Northwest Personal Training and Fitness Education. Go to www.nwpersonaltraining.com. Questions may be sent to info~nwpersonaltraining.com.
Sponsored Links