Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-10-05, 10:21

Plan: 80/20 Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 250/190/145 Female 63 in
BF:
Progress: 57%
Question Calcium and Protein;Wading thru the Confusion

I am so confused. This week in Women's World magazine I noticed an article that stated that too much protein can cause calcium loss, and if you increase your calcium intake to 1800 mg a day and decrease protein intake to only 15% of your total diet you will lose weight twice as fast. Supposedly this article claims that researchers have found that not only excessive amounts of protein lead to decreased calcium absorption, but also to slow weight loss. This was published in a study in the Scandinavian Journal of Obesity.

Has anyone seen an article from Eades or Atkins that refutes this or explains this? I believe this research might be a little bias since the article was provided by the American Milk Processors and Dairy Farmers (I read the small print!), but after doing a web search I can not find the original article, however I find few low carb friendly articles refuting this. Anyone have the real scoop?

I did read an article at http://www.afpafitness.com/articles/MILK.HTM that confused me even more....someone PLEASE help.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-10-05, 11:01

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Sounds fishy to me. It's been proven that a high-protein diet does NOT leach calcium from the bones. I would not put too much stock in something I read in Women's World. They promote a new diet each week.

Just my opinion, though.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-10-05, 11:05

BF:

OK, I just dug out my PP book. ON page 123, it says, "Eating a diet richer in protein and fat INCREASES your ability to absorb calcium." Far from leaching it from your system, protein makes it easier for your body to absorb it.

I have also read elsewhere (in either one of the PP books or Atkins books, which are very well researched) that it's a myth that a high-protein intake leaches calcium from the bones.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-10-05, 13:03

Plan: 80/20 Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 250/190/145 Female 63 in
BF:
Progress: 57%

That is what I remember reading myself a few years back when I first started PP. However supposedly this article (though I cannot find the original article online which smells fishy to me) says it was just done recently and that Dutch researches were trying to prove that it was actually the calcium in things like cheese in a high protein, low carb diet that caused the weight loss and what they found was just the opposite. They supposedly found that protein got in the way of fat-fighting properties (I am paraphrasing).

Anyway I wanted to understand this better. I have found no articles so far explaining this and I have been searching for a good part of the morning.

I never really trust any diet advice from WW, but I like some of the articles and found this one interesting, even if bias. I wrote them to find out the source of the article. Hopefully they will write me back and let me know where it is.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-14-05, 09:17

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I do believe that protein is the link to reliable health. I have not used the article in a while so I must look for it. But, Native Americans had outstanding bone health. Their facial features manifested strong bones. They also had an extremely mighty immune system. Once they were under the health care of our government their diets became carb laden. Not only has this altered their health, it has changed the facial features notable to this culture.

Now in connection to this, I had injured my knee really bad this year. I had to go to emergency and had xrays taken of my knee which showed no damage. As a matter of fact the doctor was very complimentary on my bone health. Osteoporosis was something he expected to find, not because of my diet, but because of my age. I will try very hard to find the research study that I read. I will add it to this post shortly.

Here it is, hope it works:

http://www.westonaprice.org/traditi...ative_americans

Okay, the page has been removed but the site is there. Click on the link then type Native Americans in the search engine. You will be directed to a page of various selections. Scroll down to #7 which says something about Guts and Grease: Traditional Diets.You might want to read other topics on this site.If you keep scrolling there is a study on the affect of protein on bones.Hope you enjoy this site.
Black57

Last edited by black57 : Fri, Oct-14-05 at 09:33. Reason: Additional topics
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-14-05, 13:44

BF:

I'd also like to add that a couple years ago I fell on the stairs and broke 2 lumbar vertebrae. The doctor took a bone density scan at the time. I don't remember what my reading was, but I do remember that it was higher (denser) than the highest reading on the "normal" scale. At the time I was 48 years old, and had been LCing for about 4 years.

DH said that this proved I was dense!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-14-05, 14:30

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 145/131/128 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 82%

Women's World is far from the epitome of high-caliber research.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-14-05, 17:09

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench

DH said that this proved I was dense!

How funny