Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-26-02, 07:21

Plan: Hybrid
Stats: 181/157/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Anyone foraging?

Hello all,

I read NeanderThin a year or two ago, but never really did it seriously. Got Paleo Diet from the library. Don't like it nearly as well, he's got a bit of a superior attitude and I disagree with his take on fats. I'm skimming through it now to glean what I can.

I am building soil for a garden, as I want to grow as many of my veggies as I can. It's not easy to find organic food here, and it is expensive. I was planning a raspberry bed, shortly after I had picked some of the wild raspberries I picked from our 10 acres. I got to thinking, maybe I'm making this more difficult than it has to be! Maybe I don't need to plant raspberries, just use the ones already here. They are seedier and a little tart, but I don't mind that at all. I prefer tart fruit. I also have a few wild apple trees, and although I don't like apples much, I thought I would dry some this fall, in pieces, for an occasional sweetish bite.

Anyone else have access to wild things? I got Euell Gibbons book from the library, also, I'm a little hesitant about the veggie foraging. Anyone know of any good web forums of foragers?

I also got ducks this year, for eggs, mostly, but I have to have some butchered because most of them were males :-( . I have a pond that I put Blue Gills into, but I think the snapping turtles ate them all :-(. Would like to correspond with someone like-minded.

Thanks, Amy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-31-02, 08:48
Registered Member

Plan: paleo/weight lifting
Stats: 12/8/6
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default Hi, Amy...

I agree, love Neanderthin, Paleo Diet might have a few good meat recipes!

Good for you on the garden! I haven't foraged since 7th grade, when I spent a weekend in "outdoor education" class, where we made strawberry leaf tea, some kind of leafy salad, and something else I can't remember. And man, it was tasty! sometimes i'll see a weed growing in the lawn, and tell Zach, boy, I bet that is tasty! But make sure there was no weed n feed and other stuff. I grow herbs in pots outside, and have both a tea garden complete with mint & stevia, so all I have to do is pluck both, and it's naturally sweetened! And it turns out the most bizarre green/yellow color, like it can glow in the dark. And I feel great after drinking it!

For the raspberries, the wild ones are closer to paleo I would imagine. It's your garden... go crazy with it! However, don't be like my aunt a grow a zillion tomatoes if you hate tomatoes

Here's a foraging link:

http://www.foraging.com/

Good luck!
--Lizzie