Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Jan-29-17, 08:55

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Many great presentations from last year's conference, but poor production quality. The "talented media crew" who did this new video gives me hope for better filming this year. I had asked Dr Enfeldt to contact them but they may have corrected the production issue themselves. I now regret not going to it...if just to hear more about this exciting pilot study and learn if the foods used are the ones that were sold on-line. The Ketogenic page that for a while overlayed the Quest website seems to have gone away?

ADD: Looking more carefully, the meals Tim used were frozen Keto foods provided by Quest Nutrition, now a separate website: http://www.questketo.com/meals-1102/

What disappeared (unless I am missing it) was a new line of Quest Powders and Bars in Ketogenic Ratios on their main Quest website.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Jan-29-17 at 09:46.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-17, 08:50

Many companies and the main Epigenix Foundation have been posting photos from the conference. A short one-minute update on the Keto Pet Sanctuary added here: https://www.facebook.com/epigenixfoundation/?ref=br_rs

Looking through photos, many vendors selling "ketones". Clearly the Pruvit company was there with KetoOS claiming "ketosis" in 60 minutes. No one has convinced me these do anything for medical therapy except make you poorer. Will look forward to more reports and talks.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-17, 11:35

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Ketosis in 60 minutes doesn't impress me. Ketosis for eight hours might.

Looking at a serving of one product, I see 40 calories and "caffeine equal to a cup of coffee." I imagine that might put some zip in your step. They suggest 1 packet a day for therapy, 2 a day for performance... I bet one an hour is really effective. Anybody testing this stuff who doesn't already drink massive amounts of coffee (and replace the coffee with the ketone supplement) is doing an experiment without a proper control for caffeine.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-17, 06:19

My caffeine intake is already high, I'd be flying. Btw, Dr Westman mentioned that he does not support any of these Keto supplements being sold. He is not an "early adopter" and they would first have to prove that it helps weight loss. (Periscope of his views on these until 6pm tonight..and sometimes they move the recording to FBLive?)

Dr Westman talked about the Metabolic conference last night at the local support group. Dr Eenfeldt was there filming the talks, so he believes all the conference talks will be posted sooner. Mentioned that David Diamond's talk on cholesterol improves with more info every time he gives it. Dr Seyfried another good talk on cancer, and more reports of LC as adjuvant cancer therapy.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Feb-08-17 at 08:29.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-17, 06:34

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I guess I am not looking for the quick fix. These products have zero appeal for me. I believe Dr Westman also said last night that if you don't want to be a sugar burner don't eat sugar. There's the solution without any additional cost over what one already spends on food, cut out the sugar and you will become a fat burner.

Jean
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-17, 08:07

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

There's a huge difference between adding ketones to a body wired as a sugar burner, and wiring the body to produce its own ketones.

That seems like short-sighted thinking that attributes health to an added substance instead of putting the body into a state where it makes its own.

In cases where the body is supposed to make its own.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-17, 08:26

There were many good basic questions last nite. He circled around back to the topic of ketone supplements at the end. He knows of no way to jumpstart yourself back into fat-burning. There are zero studies to prove drinking a ketone supplement (or CO or MCT for that matter) will increase your fat-burning. If your ketones went up, it is because you just drank them!
Also mentioned Dr Volek's talk at the Metabolic conference that ramping up your fat-burning is a long process, maybe even six months to be fully adapted. So taking a "carb-up" day could totally screw that up...why would you? The most studied diet for successful weight loss is Atkins...that is a continuous VLC diet without supplements or carb-ups.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-17, 08:38

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I often wonder whether a ketone supplement causes the same issue as consuming more fat than necessary and inhibits the onboard process of using existing fats to do the same thing. I'd like to see specific studies on this, as my uneducated view is that taking exogenous ketones is like hitting the "easy button" that may bypass the benefits that occur when one truly becomes fat adapted by producing ketones naturally through a whole foods diet.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-17, 08:52

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Jacob Wilson's lab did a study with carb-ups and bodybuilding. It took the guys in the study, after a weekend carb-up, until Thursday to get back into ketosis. That's about how long it took me to stop binging on cheese, after eating cookies etc. at Christmas.

Most studied diet... hee-hee. They used to say that it was useless, due to lack of long-term studies, now maybe it's the only diet sufficiently studied. There was a forum discussion, put out by some US government body, maybe the Department of Agriculture, that included various low carb and vegan diet proponents, Dean Ornish challenge Dr. Atkins to fund his own studies. Soon as they were published, of course, he criticized them for being funded by Atkins.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Feb-14-17, 12:59

Full 2017 Program schedule and sponsor list, 28 page extensive speaker bios and ads for foods, ketones, etc.
http://metabolictherapeuticsconfere...GRAM-AGENDA.pdf

Still no conference videos posted by Epigenix, but Jimmy Moore has interviewed the director of Quest Keto Foods, (the meals used by Tim Reada in above linked cancer trial)
http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/...ccessible/27489. Links in show notes more info.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Feb-14-17 at 13:06.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Nov-26-17, 06:28

ALL presentations from the Second Epigenix Foundation Conference are now posted on YouTube. This will keep me out of trouble for a while

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk...DCT66YJ30w75d6A