Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-10, 18:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/156/140 Female 66 inches
BF:22%
Progress: 82%
Default why oh WHY does broccoli do this to me??

Hey all,

So long story short.. I keep trying to add broccoli into my eating.. I LOVE broccoli.. and miss it.. but each and every time I eat I feel like I'm spiraling down.. .. I'm hungry right after eating.. I crave sweets.. I get irritated..and get a headache.. it happens only with a broccoli.. I ended up eating 2 cookies(low carb of course!) right after dinner because I just could not help it.. And it's crazy.. I usually have NO issues controlling myself.. it's just after broccoli.. I just don't get it
WHAT IS GOING ON? Why does broccoli(out of all things eh!!) do this to me??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-10, 18:44

Plan: Atkins - Back to Square 1
Stats: 236.2/216.4/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

Is it possible it's a subconscious trigger from childhood? Like "if you don't eat all your veggies, you can't have dessert?"
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-10, 18:52

umm I'm thinking no.. I always liked broccoli..
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-10, 19:22
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

If you think back to the food intolerance section of the DANDR book, Dr. A said it's often the food(s) we love the most (and are actually addicted to in some cases) that we are most intolerant of. He went on to say that many folks "addiction" to carbs is actually a type of food intolerance. Sounds like exactly what you are describing. Dunno, but must might be. I thought his comments on that topic were counter intuitive, but took them at face value. Don't quote me on this, as I don't have the book right in front of me, but the chapter where he talks about food intolerances made quite a connection to it often being the food(s) we like most.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-10, 20:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttoni
If you think back to the food intolerance section of the DANDR book, Dr. A said it's often the food(s) we love the most (and are actually addicted to in some cases) that we are most intolerant of. He went on to say that many folks "addiction" to carbs is actually a type of food intolerance. Sounds like exactly what you are describing. Dunno, but must might be. I thought his comments on that topic were counter intuitive, but took them at face value. Don't quote me on this, as I don't have the book right in front of me, but the chapter where he talks about food intolerances made quite a connection to it often being the food(s) we like most.

Interesting! I went and got my book and am going to try and find this chapter. Thanks!!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-10, 20:54

okay I just read the chapter.. wow.. sounds just like it as you said. Crazy.. and even more so it's broccoli for me..
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-10, 23:12

Plan: zeroish carbs
Stats: 388/300/150 Female 66inches
BF:unfortunately
Progress: 37%

Could it be the way you are serving it that causes the cravings?

I know for myself if I have broccoli with butter or sour cream or even plain on a plate with protein or by itself I get huge cravings after but if I have broccoli mixed into a soup(I make an egg drop soup with chicken and broccoli)I am fine. No cravings, etc.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-10, 02:21

Plan: Avoid PUFA, sugar & bread
Stats: 240/210/150 Female 156cm
BF:
Progress: 33%

Thyroid patients are sometimes told to strike any form of cabbage (brassica) off their menu.
Do you have it only with broccoli, or did you see what effect cabbage, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, mustard, etc. have on you?
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-10, 06:21

Stats: 224/207/195 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress: 59%

I love broccoli too. Have you tried putting butter on it? I eat it plan, but if you are having an issue maybe you need to make sure there is enough fat on the plate.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-10, 07:25
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 193/157/135 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 62%

I put soy sauce and parmesan on my broccoli...changes it up a bit, and maybe the salt from the soy sauce will curb your sweet tooth.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-10, 07:56
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

Well your description of the consistent reactions to broccoli sure evoked that section of the book for me. For a week or two, try just having it plain, without even any seasoning and see if you get the usual reaction. That would be one way to know if it's truly the broccoli that causes the cravings and reaction, or if it's what you're putting ON the broccoli that is doing it. Certain food/flavor associations can be a powerful trigger, and the combination(s) of seasoning and toppings you tend to lean towards, with regard to this veggie, just may be a psychological "comfort" food for you and a true food intolerance as defined by Dr. A in the book.

Last edited by Buttoni : Wed, Sep-15-10 at 08:01.