Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-05-11, 20:57

Plan: General LC
Stats: 232/157.4/145 Female 5'6.5
BF:...getting lower
Progress: 86%
Default Adrenals / hypothyroid

I like my pDoc - she is honest and listens to me - most of the time. She was the one who finally started treating me for hypothyroid. She even went with me when I tried switching to Armour. The one she wouldn't support was Hcg - thinks its a passing 'fad' that will eventually prove itself dangerous - this is HER opinion, not mine...but refused to prescribe Hcg.
My last panel about 3 weeks ago showed TSH spike back to 3.5+ when for the last 2.5 years, I've been maintaining about 1 - unfortunately, I don't have access to my records right now or I'd go into T3/T4 detail.
Back in the spring, after reading and researching about Armour, asked to switch. She was more than happy to try - 60mcg (from 75mcg levoxyl). Said Armour is more potent than levoxyl (didn't remember reading that in the literature...?).
Didn't go back for anymore blood work, but within 6 weeks, could feel the hypo-symptoms kicking back in, so I went back to levoxyl. When I went in for my last panel, she was not surprised I switched back, but didn't have any answers. Nor did I ask if switching back & forth could have led to the current problems.?
Needless to say, I am now on 88mcg levoxyl. Most symptoms have been eased, but still find myself fatigued (occasionally) and panic-y (heart palps / general anxiety).
So now I am really starting to wonder about my adrenals. I think 'typical' symptoms are more severe - but I am sure years of general stress (money, death (mom), marriage, general anxiety & depression) and yo-yo dieting have done a number.
I also suffer from hypoglycemia - recently, since incorporating 20 minutes of HITT type exercising w/ muscle training, have almost passed out twice - and it takes me the rest of the day to recover (remain shaky, foggy/hard to concentrate, heart palps, headache). I was REALLY stupid at first and was trying to exercise without eating (at 10:30 am ). The occurrances happened while I was still starving myself *DUH* - this last week, I began eating before exercise and it helped.
I don't know how much she really knows / understands about hypothyroidism / adrenal fatigue, etc...
She hasn't even told me why my thyroid is out of whack...I don't know that I've been tested for Hashi's...? I believe when I asked at diagnosis, it was a general answer of 'lots of people have unexplained thyroid problems'.
I am going to do my 6 week follow up this time. I want to optimize - or get as close-to as possible.
I want to talk about
1) going back to Armour, but obviously, upping the dosage
2) addressing the concerns about adreneals
I hope she's willing to listen.
Sponsored Links