Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-17, 15:30

Plan: LowCarb/Carnivo/Intermit
Stats: 365/279.8/190 Male 6 foot
BF:
Progress: 49%
Question Cruise snacks for off boat

My wife is telling me that we're going to be on some excursions off the boat for long enough that will need to be able to have some kind of a snack. She's mentioning protein bars. I thought protein bars have carbohydrates I will look into that. Is there anything else or any suggestions for when you're in another country that might be easy to carry around as a snack until you can get back onto the boat?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-17, 17:13

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Depends where you go. If you go to Columbia, try some fried pork belly! you only need to find something to carry it around it, but if you eat it you will probably not be looking for another snack for a while

#3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-17, 18:39

BF:

Going to the Caribbean. I am diabetic so just don't want my sugar to drop while missing lunch... would bring pork rinds but bet the would be crushed in my suitcase. Any more suggestions?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-17, 19:29

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

There are usually hard boiled eggs and bacon/sausage at breakfast buffet, take those. I use to bring zip lock bags to use for food snacks, and a supply of nuts for week. Some ships have stated don't take food off into ports, ignore, esp if you have diabetes.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-17, 22:51

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I would definitely take bag(s) of pork rinds, I wouldn't leave home without them...Beef jerky and beef sticks, several.
Like Janet said, zip lock bags are the way to go. I usually put small snacks in sandwich bags and then put all of those in a gallon bag with napkins. When you go on these excursions you'll probably have a beach bag of sorts. Just put a bag of pork rinds and the gallon bag of snacks.
It's better to have them than not and whatever is left over is good for later.
For protein bars, I think the Atkins products are the lowest carbs of all of the bars. Definitely take a box of those for emergencies.

Have fun and you can do low carb on vacations, I've done it....

Thud, that fried pork belly looks Awesome..crunch crunch, but you don't want to know what I caught in Mexico from pork. Think the worst thing it could be and that was it. Lets just say that they don't Vet. their livestock like we do here in the US. It was a heck of a way to loose to 30lbs.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-26-17, 01:17

Plan: Atkins 72 Induc Lifer IF
Stats: 249/157/150 Female 5'7.5"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Thud, that looks amazing! I learned also if I travel I must take some foods with me, sometimes we don't always have access to foods that keep us on plan. I take meat/cheese packets- has to be low carb though, macadamia nuts, green olive packets, boiled eggs. I have cooked up a package of bacon and put in zip lock baggie to bring with- just whatever is easiest for me to travel with.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-26-17, 05:20
On my way to goal

Plan: General lower carb
Stats: 220/210.4/180 Female 68 inches
BF:Top Weight = 323lb
Progress: 24%

Nuts and beef sticks would be my choice. Very portable, keep well in a pocket.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-26-17, 06:06

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

ps, that pork is not my creation, just random picture. I say that once on an Anthony Bordian show or maybe Anderw Zimeren (sp)

Casey, I didn't think of nuts! So portable.

Nate I didn't know you were diabetic so I assume you take insulin. I don't know much about that I'm afraid but I'd figure nuts are easy to meter out (weigh) and you'd know how many carbs you're getting to work with your dosage or blood meter. Good luck and have fun.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-27-17, 08:18

BF:

I am type 2 so no insulin. I am diabetic due to weight so hoping to get rid of that. Nuts do have carbs but yes I think that is the winner. Worried bacon my go bad in the heat while out on the excursions. Is that a worry. Even beef jerry has carbs but got the lowest carbs I could find. So taking that as well. I will get some gallon size bags for the nuts. Also my wife heard order some breakfast in room to put in the bags and then go eat breakfast as well. So excited hoping to lose while on the cruise.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-17, 05:29

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Hi Nate, I've not worried about a few hours not refrigerated and I'm still here. Another LC tip..the sliced deli meats, cheese and cut vegetables often at lunch/salad bar. sometimes cheese is at tea if that is served an afternoon snack and as dessert at dinner. Snag them for future

When arrive, have your mini-fridge cleaned out of all booze and soda, and use to keep your LC foods somewhat chilled. They never seem as cold as a real fridge, but it will do for cheese, HB eggs, cooked bacon, veg. I refuse to drag food to a cruise, of all things room service breakfast is a great idea. Also Get your waiter on your side, tell him your needs first day. Many lines offer a "classic menu" at dinner...don't like what is on offer? Then usually steak, salmon and chicken are available, ask for extra butter. (The funniest one for us is always the bread basket...we ask for it to be removed, and numerous wait staff of all ranks will rush over to give us another, sometimes reacting with concern when we say no bread but bring more butter)

Diabetic or not, if you stay VLC (are you still at 20g like the clinic diet? that is no nuts, but small servings for travel do help) and eat a large breakfast, you may find you don't need snacks for BG control since you are not on meds. Try it at home before you go, first only 3 meals no snacks, then two meals no snacks in a contracted eating window, or a large bacon/egg breakfast and large dinner, no lunch. And enjoy your cruise, a lack of food is not a worry! Really

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Jan-28-17 at 05:49.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-29-17, 06:02

BF:

It is only a concern due to us missing lunch time during our excursions. I am feeling good about it. I have been doing good. I will be careful of the nuts. Was worried since. I want VLC I have a lot of weight to lose. Thanks phone off after today till I get back. No Internet.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jan-29-17, 12:32

BF:

The lunch the first day about to be shutting of my phone... hamburger...the grade of meat tasted very cheap and nasty. They had some kind of roast tasted bad added salt grossed out. Ate some chicken... it grosses me out, but I ate it. Hoping the food improves... or something happens.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-17, 09:12

BF:

Doing good so far.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-17, 09:39
On my way to goal

Plan: General lower carb
Stats: 220/210.4/180 Female 68 inches
BF:Top Weight = 323lb
Progress: 24%

Good job Nate! I hope you're having fun.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-17, 09:51

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsnd
My wife is telling me that we're going to be on some excursions off the boat for long enough that will need to be able to have some kind of a snack. She's mentioning protein bars. I thought protein bars have carbohydrates I will look into that. Is there anything else or any suggestions for when you're in another country that might be easy to carry around as a snack until you can get back onto the boat?

Looked for canned kipper snacks (King Oscar is the brand I like). Or baby bonbell cheese with celery - will the boat provide any thing for you, can you make requests for a your eating plan friendly snack pack?