Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-01-13, 23:57
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 166/166/000 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Best lower body exercises for bad knees?

Does anyone know of a good program? I really need to work my bottom half but I get pains in one of my knees when I do too many squats and lunges.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-02-13, 07:24

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

I love pilates. It reshapes your muscles in a very refined way - working from the inside out. It was also designed as a rehab program and can, with a good instructor, be modified to suit any sort of weakness or injury. I would recommend, if at all possible, you learn from a live person sensitive to your needs and willing to help you modify. Once you've got down the basics of what your body can do, you may feel comfortable working from a video or a book.

I would quit the squats and lunges before you do real damage - again a personal trainer might help you modify. It may just be a matter of adjusting your form.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-02-13, 08:48

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Walking is probably best. Yoga and Pilates are likely to be almost as good.

I'm a firm believer that most gym type exercise is not really good for you (too abusive) and most trainers don't know what they are really doing for long-term effects on the body.

What's the problem with your knees? Arthritis? Strain?

Bob
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-02-13, 12:57
Registered Member

BF:

I have never been medically diagnosed with anything concerning my knees. I just get pains in the left one from time to time, like when going down stairs or after doing squats. I guess I should get a medical opinion at some point.

Are wall sits safe for the knees?
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-02-13, 15:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238.0/238.0/170 Female 5"3"
BF:

Wall sits are better than lunges and squats for sure, although imho squats are doable (for me). Be very careful not to put your knees over your toes.

Lunges involve movement that stretches my damaged meniscus (sp?), as does going down stairs. My best suggestion is get a stationary bike. I have a recumbent one and have no excuse for not sitting down and reading a book for half an hour a few times a week!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-13, 09:28

BF:

Squats are not good for the knees. Neither is 'step' and I wouldn't do either.

Squats and step are an example of why I think most gyms and trainers are not looking at the long term effects of what they are doing. Another is the aerobic room with the music at 110 to 120 db - which chips away at your high frequency hearing, little by little so you don't notice it until you need closed captions on your TV set. Anything over 85 db causes permanent damage to the ears.

My left knee bothered me for 40 years after squatting on the football field playing a song in the marching band.

It's about 99% better now. I fixed it by (1) not stressing it (2) an arthritis/bursitis diet and (3) pulsed magnetic therapy.

I'm not a doctor, but the first thing I would advise is not to do any exercises that stress the joint. If you keep stressing it, it will only get worse.

Bob
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-13, 10:56
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I have bad knees too and I love my inexpensive Pilates Reformer because I can do leg exercises without putting too much stress on my knees.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-13, 11:35

Where did you find an inexpensive reformer, Nancy? I'd love to have one. The great thing about the reformer is you can adjust resistance and gradually build up as you progress. And the lighter the weights your legs are resisting, the more you have to use abs for stability. It's a win-win.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-13, 11:51
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I got the Stamina Aeropilates reformer for under $200 (IIRC) on a Groupon. I like it! It seems about the least expensive out there.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-13, 12:22

Thanks! + a few more letters
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-13, 18:18
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the advice. No more squats for now.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-13, 10:43

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Yikes! I wouldn't put weight on squats if you have pain, but it's not always the "squats". It could be mechanics or cartilage or even muscle imbalances.

Teresa Tapp's programs are rehabilitative for knees. They use isometric strength training. Very amazing, I've done them and they're size friendly too. They are killer but don't look like it, and are bodyweight only.

Also see Mistress Krista's site on weight training for women. She breaks down myths about squats and knees.

http://www.stumptuous.com/lurn-to-squat-good-e-zy
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Nov-29-13, 12:28

Plan: Intermittent Fasting, LC
Stats: 242/215/130 Female 5'7.5"
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 24%

I've messed my knees up. (fell on them) and I use an indoor rower/erg. We bought one, but there are gyms that have them. You can get a log card for $7.00 at concept2.com. You sit on a sliding seat, so you can, or I can anyway, control how much stress you put on your knees. You can buy used ones and I personally think it was worth it for me. It has been something I have been able to stick with and adjust instead of having to stop like with walking.

Also, a friend of mine (a personal trainer) did show me a side lunge which is not so hard on your knee. It's just what is sounds like, you have one foot pointing forward, and step the other out sideways with the toe pointed off to your side. Lunge over the knee just like forward. It's not quite like the usual side lunge. Your knee points OUT to the side, like you're changing directions. I don't understand why it's easier on the knee, maybe because the bracing foot is sideways and there's less "keep your balance" stress.

I also found a lot of walking on flat ground helpful for my knees. I've had several injuries to my knees. I've been kicked by a horse and ran into a fire hydrant (playing volleyball, not watching where I was going), and just plain fallen on them. And I've been rowing daily for months now (well except for the day before Thanksgiving and Thanksgiving) for 30 minutes at a time with no problems. (c:
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Nov-29-13, 16:36

Plan: High protein/HIIT
Stats: 234/197/174 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 62%

Biking. Cycling. Spinning. My arthritic knees don't bother me (much) unless I'm not getting in my biking. I think it's all that non -weight bearing use of the joint that keeps them feeling good.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-13, 11:19

BF:

Yes, you don't want to stress out already damaged joints. And even if your joints don't hurt, lunges, squats, and step are harmful. It's your choice, but for me, I avoid them.

Cycling, elliptical, walking, treadmill OK with me.

Bob