Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 09:17

Plan: ZC Warrior | +40K Paleo
Stats: 200/180/180 Male 180cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack
Tarlach seriously PLEASE....

What? Am I not allowed to question anything you say? I am certainly not going to take one persons opinion as gospel.

I googled 'dietary magnesium' for an unbiased search criteria and then read the credible sources. If I typed in magnesium deficiency I'm sure I'll get a whole bunch of stuff that supports your argument. I want to know the facts from medical studies.

Your links say magnesium is important and I agree. I do not consider a link from magnesiumforlife as an unbiased reliable source though.

I still stand behind my original statement of "A diet low in refined foods should adequately cover any magnesium requirements"

Also I agree that meat, milk and eggs are poorer sources of magnesium than green veg, but the average person still gets almost 30% of dietary magnesium from these sources, so I would not discount them.

Trace element levels in soil can be quite lacking. That's why fertilizer is used to increase the levels of the deficient elements.

I would like to see magnesium content of a variety of current foods, determined by atomic absorption spectrophotometry. Then I could see exactly what current day dietary magnesium levels are like. Do you have any information like this?
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 09:38

BF:

Ok I found a decent source.

USDA Nutrient Database (nice resource actually)

My first search was: Beef, top sirloin, separable lean only, trimmed to 1/4" fat, choice, cooked, pan-fried
33mg of Mg in 100g

Next was: Nuts, almonds, dry roasted, without salt added
286mg of Mg in 100g

So my 700gm steak and a handful of almonds gives me 517mg and I didn't even get to any veg yet.

Now I'm defiantly not worried about magnesium deficiency.

I just looked up cabbbage and it has less than half the magnesium that beef does. Two whole large raw cabbages is still less magnesium than a 700gm steak. So much for green leafy veg!

Last edited by Tarlach : Sat, May-17-08 at 09:54.
  #108   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 09:54
Registered Member

Plan: paleo
Stats: 170/160/150 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 50%

yeah if you eat a good diet your probably not deficient .. but the interesting thing is once you become deficient in magnesium you lack the ability to absorb magnesium from food

its not only diet, but its there over all life styles the deplete mg even further, such as stress, loud music, prescription drugs, etc.

so unless your eating a very good diet from birth theres a chance one could be low in mg even though they eat healthy now.

but i believe magnesium is vital and everyone could benefit from more.
  #109   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 10:07

BF:

I checked out the nutrient list for magnesium and a lot of the stuff I used to eat is on the first page.

I shouldn't have to worry about historical Mg levels either.
  #110   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 11:57

Plan: No processed foods
Stats: 247.6/232.8/150 Female 5'5"
BF:yes
Progress: 15%

Isn't hard water one of the largest sources of magnesium (which we largely don't drink anymore)?
  #111   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 12:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/225/150
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Woo hoo - somebody told me today they thought I was 32. I'll take it! (I'm 42.) My son said, "oh mom - they were just lying - you look wayyy older than that." Sweet kid.

I always thought I looked way younger than many women my age. So a birthday girl Sunday confessed her age; and I added mine. (birthday approaching - 66th.) Another new friend popped in and said: "You wish!" I was floored! I don't need to lie about my age; but the new friend has met my grey-haired eldest daughter, and knows I'm a great-grandmother 3 times over. After I explained; she said -" You must have married young!" (I did).

But that'll teach me to be the slightest bit vain about my " youthful looks."

BTW, ignore kids. Mine used to twit me about things that happened millenia ago - you remember that, doncha Mom?
  #112   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 13:07
Registered Member

Plan: Paleolithic
Stats: 233/169/170 Male 6'-0"
BF:
Progress: 102%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProteusOne
I'd have to add that dry skin brushing, along with the nutrient-rich Paleo foods (like raw nuts), does wonders for the appearance of aging. I haven't lost all of the weight I want to, but I definitely look younger than I did a year ago.

I look at it this way: the body is in a constant regenerative process. If you facilitate elimination (and dry skin brushing is but one way) and replace depletion with positive nutrition, you can't go wrong.

Absolutely true. The old addage, "you are what you eat" is the literal truth. Supply your body with the building blocks it requires and it will thrive in good health. Supply it with crap and you'll look and feel like crap.

Gary
  #113   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 13:09
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinny
So a birthday girl Sunday confessed her age; and I added mine. (birthday approaching - 66th.) Another new friend popped in and said: "You wish!" I was floored!

Kinda reminds me of when I was pregnant. I weighed about 300 then and oddly, it "hid" inside me until about 7.5 months when it just popped up massively. I had to take the bus to my temp job and one day at a bus stop this little girl about seven with bright red hair was staring at me.

Finally she says, "You have a BABY in there?"

"Yes sweetie, I do," I replied, thinking to myself, isn't she adorable?

She pauses, looking at me a little bit more.

"How MANY do you have in there?" she asks.

The adults just busted out laughing all around me.

Stupid kid.
  #114   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 13:56
1 Corinthians 9:27

Plan: Hi-fat, low-carb
Stats: 241/239.8/199 Male 69
BF:Decreasingly so
Progress: 3%
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryR55
Absolutely true. The old addage, "you are what you eat" is the literal truth.

Yay! I'm made of dirt, water and sunshine!
  #115   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 14:39
Registered Member

Plan: Neocarnivore
Stats: 375/345/250 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryR55
Absolutely true. The old addage, "you are what you eat" is the literal truth.
That saying appears to be the only reason why some people say you shouldn't eat fat. "You are what you eat, if you eat fat you will be fat"
  #116   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 17:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/225/150
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baerdric
That saying appears to be the only reason why some people say you shouldn't eat fat. "You are what you eat, if you eat fat you will be fat"

Well, if we take that literally, I should be growing feathers and oinking any minute now! Who says pigs can't fly?
  #117   ^
Old Sun, May-18-08, 13:10
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack
yeah if you eat a good diet your probably not deficient .. but the interesting thing is once you become deficient in magnesium you lack the ability to absorb magnesium from food

its not only diet, but its there over all life styles the deplete mg even further, such as stress, loud music, prescription drugs, etc.

so unless your eating a very good diet from birth theres a chance one could be low in mg even though they eat healthy now.

but i believe magnesium is vital and everyone could benefit from more.

Even in my pre-paleo days, when I was eating less than healthy, I was taking a calcium-zinc-magnesium supplement daily, so I was probably still okay, then.

Gary
  #118   ^
Old Sun, May-18-08, 13:15
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baerdric

Yeah, I guess, in that particular instance, the words aren't literally true, but, the effect of eating fat is exactly the opposite, though. This has been proven, not only by our ancestors, but by several studies and lots of anecdotal evidence that shows that eating fat - especially saturated fat - contributes to weight loss and a lean body composition.

Gary