Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-24-18, 05:54

Plan: Whole food, semi low carb
Stats: 165/165/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Back after over 10 years....

Hello all,
Back in 2007-2008, I lost all the weight in my goal and felt great. I maintained it for several years, eventually finding my happy weight to settle around 140-145 (had gotten down to 128). Now I'm in my mid 40's and carbs have creeped back into my diet. I gave up on the scale a couple years ago since I felt I had become obsessed with it. I don't even own one right now but will be buying one. I would guess I'm about 165. I'm one size larger than I was at 140. I'm resetting my numbers in my profile to reflect this return.

I've also been dealing with out of wack hormones, which is what made me turn back to this woe. Severe migraine headaches during tom that lasted for days and responded to no amount of tylenol, advil, aspirin, etc. As I began researching, many things pointed to change in diet, replacing carbs and sugar with protein and fats. A bell went off in my head! I know this woe and I need to find it again. I've spent the last couple of days getting re-acquainted with this woe and a trip to the grocery yesterday to fill the house with lots of the right foods.

Btw: My name is Louisiana, but 3 years ago, we moved to the Ozarks of northern AR.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-24-18, 10:12
Registered Member

Plan: Carnivore-ish
Stats: 265/255/190 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Welcome back! It happens, we are human and it's hard to stay away from carbs in this carb-centered society we have. Don't be too tough on yourself. You're getting back into it since you are feeling uncomfortable and that's what matters - how you feel, not a number on a scale. Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-24-18, 17:57
Registered Member

Plan: Keto + IF
Stats: 260/300/165 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -42%

I'm just back after about 10 years too. Looks like my account here still works. Starting over, all over again, for like the tenth time. Second time on low carb. The first time when reasonably well but then all sorts of life (read shit) happened. I'm glad I even remembered about this site, and that it still exists. Currently on Day 24 of this reboot.

Reading food labels again. They are getting cleverer and cleverer. I had to laugh out loud at "Organic Evaporated Cane Juice". Five different kinds of sugar to push them down to the bottom of the ingredients list.

Discovered I had "very severe" sleep apnea last year. Didn't even know what sleep apnea was before that. Apparently I've had it for years without knowing it. All I knew was that I was miserable and it was all my fault. Found out after I had a minor stroke in my eye which in the end turned out to be a blessing.

Feeling much better on CPAP now, and finally feeling good enough to try this again. Been watching some Jason Fung videos on YouTube. I'm going to try adding some IF into the basic Atkins approach I did last time.

Also on some blood pressure meds now, hopefully they don't interfere with weight loss.

Really struggling without pasta as an Italian.

Gonna try hitting the gym again at some point too, but this go-around my knees hurt just going up steps.

So I kind of feel like Rip Van Flintstone here. What have I missed in the low carb world over the last decade?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-24-18, 18:14

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyHW
I'm just back after about 10 years too. Looks like my account here still works. Starting over, all over again, for like the tenth time. Second time on low carb. The first time when reasonably well but then all sorts of life (read shit) happened. I'm glad I even remembered about this site, and that it still exists. Currently on Day 24 of this reboot.

Reading food labels again. They are getting cleverer and cleverer. I had to laugh out loud at "Organic Evaporated Cane Juice". Five different kinds of sugar to push them down to the bottom of the ingredients list.

Discovered I had "very severe" sleep apnea last year. Didn't even know what sleep apnea was before that. Apparently I've had it for years without knowing it. All I knew was that I was miserable and it was all my fault. Found out after I had a minor stroke in my eye which in the end turned out to be a blessing.

Feeling much better on CPAP now, and finally feeling good enough to try this again. Been watching some Jason Fung videos on YouTube. I'm going to try adding some IF into the basic Atkins approach I did last time.

Also on some blood pressure meds now, hopefully they don't interfere with weight loss.

Really struggling without pasta as an Italian.

Gonna try hitting the gym again at some point too, but this go-around my knees hurt just going up steps.

So I kind of feel like Rip Van Flintstone here. What have I missed in the low carb world over the last decade?

Welcome back to you too!
Pasta is evil, grill you some meat (chicken or beef) and top it with the sauce and cheese as a meal.

I wish I could hit the gym too but the nearest one is an hour away. I've been doing lots of yardwork though.

I will be writing in my journal again this go around.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-24-18, 18:15

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashta
Welcome back! It happens, we are human and it's hard to stay away from carbs in this carb-centered society we have. Don't be too tough on yourself. You're getting back into it since you are feeling uncomfortable and that's what matters - how you feel, not a number on a scale. Good luck!

Thank you! Yes, this is a carb society, no wonder obesity is such a problem. I feel like I've should know this diet easily since I did it for many years, it's all coming back slowly.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-27-18, 06:28

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi, LAwoman. Welcome! I, too, eat low carb to keep away migraines. Best wishes to you.