Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-28-16, 05:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/185/155 Male 5'7
BF:
Progress:
Question Strength Training Question

Hi Everyone, I am new to the site, figure this would be a good place to ask for some help.

I am plagued with an issue of Atkins and Strength training. Everywhere I look, it says that I can't do it, but else where says go for it, the protein in the diet will build muscle.

Just to be clear, I am not looking to bulk up but to tone up and have definition. Yea show a 6 pack down the road but not have a 12 pack

Advice?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-28-16, 22:05

Plan: LCHF/ketogenic
Stats: 163/132/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Hi. I'm pretty new too, but I know the answer. You can do it, but might need a few days to a week to adjust. After that, you will probably have an easier time at it.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-29-16, 03:01

Plan: dr. Boz Keto Continuum
Stats: 265/226/165 Female 175 centimeters
BF:53/46.8/21
Progress: 39%

You can absolutely do it. Lots of very successful athletes are and I have, too. In the first few weeks of the diet you may find you're not at your best, actually many experts recommend not starting an exercise program for a week or two after starting the diet. According to Volek and Phinney, full keto-adaptation (getting to where you can train more vigorously again) can take about three weeks, and you have to stay strict with the diet. You should read their book "The Art and Science of Low Carb Performance".

I'd start real slow (I follow Mark Rippetoe's training instructions in "Starting Strength", another great book), and expect a boost in strength and performance after about week three/four. Make sure you eat/drink enough salt, by the way, this diet has a diuretic effect and low salt can make you feel weak!

Endurance athletes are doing it too, by the way, Chris Froome of Tour de France fame, for instance! I saw that in the news today.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-30-16, 16:57
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox
Endurance athletes are doing it too, by the way, Chris Froome of Tour de France fame, for instance! I saw that in the news today.
I didn't know that after watching him win again.
Quote:
The UK may still be reluctant to advocate the low-carb diet as its official diet policy, but the evidence of its success is overwhelming, in people with and without diabetes, and it is continuing to gain nationwide recognition.
http://www.dietdoctor.com/chris-fro...won-tour-france

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blog/2016...-france-titles/

I was wondering if/when a racer or team would try low-carb for that grueling race. Past studies have shown it helps cycling endurance better than carb-loading.

They can call it "Fat Doping" and test for ketones as it gives bike racers an unfair advantage

Last edited by mike_d : Sat, Jul-30-16 at 18:02.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-30-16, 18:33

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 212/169/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 69%

I started doing strength training three days per week after three months of nailing my low carb healthy fat regime. On days I lift, I do eat more protein/fat, whether it's larger meals or hemp hearts, couple tablespoons real peanut butter and MCT oil. Works like a charm.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-30-16, 22:36

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

I just starting working out the last few weeks (been low carb for 5 months now), mostly strength training. I like to fast on those days, and I seem to have a lot of energy in a fasted state -- bonus is that I don't get sore muscles the next day.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-31-16, 07:38

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Jeff Volek did some studies years ago showing that low carbers are not immune to the effects of weight training.

On bodybuilding keto boards, I see people talking about Atkins like it's just for overweight people, not for building muscle--and then advocating a macronutrient ratio (usually around a third protein, two thirds fat) that's right smack in the range that many people are likely to fall into following Atkins by the book. I feel this is just plain anti-Atkins snobbery combined with fitness professional writers/trainers feeling the need to rebrand an old approach in their own image.

If you google Jacob Wilson on Youtube you'll get some reasonable talks about the ins and outs of a ketogenic diet with bodybuilding, he's been involved in some studies looking at the subject. In particular, the idea that periodic carb ups are necessary or even desirable for weight lifters on a low carb diet has been thrown into doubt. There are plenty of anecdotes going the other way--but anecdotes in agreement are just as easy to come by.

Earlier studies showed greater lean mass gains on higher carb than lower carb--but again, more recent studies that include a post-diet carb up wipe out this difference--the slight advantage to higher carb in those earlier studies was likely due to differences in glycogen storage between the two groups.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-31-16, 22:17
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Here's another article that deals with keto adapted atheletes:

http://www.mensjournal.com/health-f...nverts-20130618
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Aug-01-16, 02:35

My post where I mentioned Chris Froome is apparently too old for me to edit, so I'm putting the article link here instead:

http://www.businessinsider.com/chri...?r=US&IR=T&IR=T
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-01-16, 03:52

Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

#11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-03-16, 06:42

Stats: 185/185/155 Male 5'7
BF:
Progress:

Hi everyone, thank you for your responses. This truly does give me a lot to go on and I will definitely do my research on the provided links.

Thanks again.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-03-16, 09:07

At any rate, don't ever think you can't exercize, or even win, on low carb. You can.