Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-08, 18:59

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
A lot of Atkinsites wander in here thinking it's another atkins forum I think.

Wish I could make sour cream out of coconut milk. *sigh* Surely there must be a way to ferment coconut milk...

I've heard of making kefir out of coconut milk, but it's not something I've ever tried personally. I think I've even heard of coconut milk yogurt, but I have no clue if that could be thickened up into "yogurt cheese" though.

And anyway, I can't imagine any fermented food being truly Paleo (not that this stops me from eating a few fermented veggies or drinking wine anyway. :lol
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-08, 19:26

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Sorry, I'm more Pragmatic than Paleolithic when it comes to food. I don't require the History of the food I eat to conform to the History of the foods my ancestors ate. Especially since the foods my ancestors ate probably adapted just as much as I did since then. I think it's impossible to find Ancestral Food so I'll have to do without and use what's available to me now.

Now that I think about it, my Ancestors didn't have Ancestral Food (from their point of view) either so they too had to do without and use what was available to them at the time. So perhaps I'm more Paleolithic than many here. At least in method.

One example: Wheat. If it had not survived us and other animals that could chew it, it would not have survived. Proof is in our inability to eat, chew and digest it without first using high tech machines to process it. Raw, it goes through our body unchanged and ends up surrounded by a pile of excrement. Incidentally, that's probably how wheat was able to survive us. By making sure it had enough to eat.

Anyway, I won't do it again. I promise.

Last edited by M Levac : Sun, Feb-24-08 at 19:32.
  #93   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-08, 00:41
LCing for health!

Plan: GF whole foods
Stats: 160/140/140 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthla
I've heard of making kefir out of coconut milk, but it's not something I've ever tried personally. I think I've even heard of coconut milk yogurt, but I have no clue if that could be thickened up into "yogurt cheese" though.

And anyway, I can't imagine any fermented food being truly Paleo (not that this stops me from eating a few fermented veggies or drinking wine anyway. :lol

Wouldn't it just be... old food? Meat or plant matter that had been lying around in the cave? At least that's how I try to justify it.
  #94   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-08, 10:31
Registered Member

Plan: Paleolithic
Stats: 233/169/170 Male 6'-0"
BF:
Progress: 102%

Quote:
And anyway, I can't imagine any fermented food being truly Paleo

I guess it depends on what it's fermented from, really. True, no one (that we know of) had yet discovered the fermentation process in the paleolithic era, but, since coconut isn't a grain, no problem.

I've just started using coconut oil, myself, after "discovering" it. It should help bring my blood sugar and blood pressure down even further.

Gary
  #95   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-08, 10:32
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:

I don't know, birds eat berries that ferment on the bush and get drunk. My Mom used to tell me stories about that.

Oh yeah, I used to make coconut milk yogurt and Kefir. I forgot about that. But it never gets really sour like milk does and it doesn't thicken up so much.
  #96   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-08, 12:16

Plan: VLC
Stats: 295/220/160 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 56%

Quote:
I don't know, birds eat berries that ferment on the bush and get drunk. My Mom used to tell me stories about that.

There's videos of all sorts of animals engaging in that behaviour. Elephants are known to seek out rotting fruit and have social drinking binges.
  #97   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-08, 09:39

Plan: Seven Deadly Sins (Paleo)
Stats: 155/110/110 Female 166cm
BF:

A new one I just created the other day:

Modern Paleo Apple Crumble
(Takes me 20 min to prepare and 20 min to cook)

Ingredients
15 Apples (peeled, cored and sliced)
2 Cups of Crushed Pecans
1 Cup of Almond Meal
125g Pitted Prunes
1 Tsp cinnamon

Method
1. Microwave Apples with cloves (I use one per apple) for 20 minutes on high. Stir at the half way mark. Remove cloves once cooked.
2. Blend Prunes in Blender until smooth and sticky.
3. Add Pecans and Almond Mean to Prunes. Blend briefly (helps to loosen Prunes off the edge of the blender) and pour into bowl.
4. Using hands, mix the Pecans, Almond Meal, Prunes and Cinnamon into a crumbly mixture. If too wet, add more Almond Meal. If too dry, add some juice (any fruit juice eg apple). Should stick together if crushed in palm but crumbly if rubbed between fingers.
5. Put apples into base of pie dish.
6. Cover with Nut and Prune Crumble.
7. Cook for 20minutes at 400degrees Fahrenheit.
8. Serve Warm

Last edited by ~centa*of* : Mon, Mar-03-08 at 09:47.
  #98   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-08, 09:18

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:

This is only the best meatiest breakfast you ever ate!

BRAISED BEEF SHANK

ingredients:
-----------
1 cross cut beef shank with marrow bone (about 1.25 lbs)
pinch sea salt and tons of coarsely ground black pepper
4 peeled garlic cloves
2 small sprigs (or one big one) of rosemary (this is optional, but nice)
half a bottle of red wine (I used cabernet sauvignon)

Dump everything into a casserole type dish with an oven safe lid. Cover it and stick in the oven at 225 degrees Fahrenheit just before you go to bed. When you wake up you will be greeted with a delicious aroma and meat so tender that it falls apart into the wine reduction when you touch it. If you don't want to eat right away, you can turn off the oven and just let it sit in the oven til about 30 min before you want to eat; just turn it to 300 degrees and let it warm up for 30 min.

Make sure to shred the meat and fat into the cooking liquid, mash up the garlic, and scoop out any marrow that didn't melt and spread that on top too. Heaven.
  #99   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-08, 12:00
LCing for health!

BF:

^^That sounds so good and easy! Now if I could find organic beef shank for less than $12...

Creamsicle Shake
1 egg yolk
1/2 scoop egg white or whey protein powder
2T orange zest
1t lemon juice
splash of vanilla extract
sweetener (optional)
1/8t xanthan gum (optional)

Blend with enough water and ice to make it shake-like and eat! Tastes like a creamsicle. Or an orange julius. The xanthan gum really makes it thick like ice cream.
  #100   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-08, 12:04

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:

Woah, it's that much around you?? I only picked up a beef shank here because it was the cheapest cut of beef they had at Whole Foods...it was like $3.50/lb.
  #101   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-08, 12:42
Experimenter

BF:

Sounds like that'd work in a crockpot too!
  #102   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-08, 23:39
LCing for health!

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallyn
Woah, it's that much around you?? I only picked up a beef shank here because it was the cheapest cut of beef they had at Whole Foods...it was like $3.50/lb.

Cheapest clean meat I can find is organic grass-fed ground beef for $8 and Maverick Ranch "all natural" buffalo for $6 a lb. Organic Prarie beef liver is $4.50 with a coupon, but I have to force that stuff down. Any good cuts of grass-fed are much higher ($10-$20!). We only have a locally owned health food supermarket, Publix, and Sweetbay here. Maybe Wal-Mart will start carrying it organic meat. They already sell the cheapest organic eggs (Eggland's Best Organic for $3.50).

You're so lucky to have a Whole Foods!
  #103   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-08, 15:46
Experimenter

BF:

I've invented a new recipe.

Chinese Chicken Salad

Raw cabbage (green or savoy, recommend savoy but green is ok)
Chicken
Sesame Oil
Rice Vinegar
Red pepper flakes

Chop up cabbage, throw cold or hot chicken in there too. Douse with sesame oil and rice vinegar and sprinkle with pepper flakes.

Divine!
  #104   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-08, 02:17
Registered Member

Plan: Paleolithic
Stats: 233/169/170 Male 6'-0"
BF:
Progress: 102%

Quote:
I've invented a new recipe.

Chinese Chicken Salad

Raw cabbage (green or savoy, recommend savoy but green is ok)
Chicken
Sesame Oil
Rice Vinegar
Red pepper flakes

Chop up cabbage, throw cold or hot chicken in there too. Douse with sesame oil and rice vinegar and sprinkle with pepper flakes.

Divine!

Sounds good, but I question whether the rice vinegar is paleo or not.

Gary
  #105   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-08, 09:33
Experimenter

BF:

Probably not. Adapt to suit your degree of strictness. It was really the seasame oil that gave it the Chinese flavor. I bet lime juice would also be good.

I think I'm going to stop posting recipes here. I am rarely purely paleo any longer.