Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-19-18, 17:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 305/211/160 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default Is keto less effective the more and start and stop it?

I know medications for instance can be less effective and not work the same as they did at first. I'm wondering if its the same for keto? Or should keto produce the same results if done the same way every time?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-19-18, 18:48

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi, ImAllAlike. Are you asking if being in a state of ketosis will always result in losing weight? ...or if being on a particular diet which previously put you in ketosis and enabled fat loss will give the same results again?

If that is what you are asking, I will say that following the same diet, in the same proportions and amounts that got me to lose weight a few years ago, will not bring exactly the same results because I am older, and my health conditions and sensitivities have changed.

I need to eat less food now to stay the same weight, or even less, to lose, than I ate a few years ago. Also, when I weigh less, I have to eat less, as I need less food for a smaller body.

There are supplements that help.

Does that answer a part of what you wanted to know, at all?

Or did you want to know something else?

Last edited by SilverEm : Thu, Apr-19-18 at 18:55. Reason: corrections
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-19-18, 19:01
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEm
Hi, ImAllAlike. Are you asking if being in a state of ketosis will always result in losing weight? ...or if being on a particular diet which previously put you in ketosis and enabled fat loss will give the same results again?

If that is what you are asking, I will say that following the same diet, in the same proportions and amounts that got me to lose weight a few years ago, will not bring exactly the same results because I am older, and my health conditions and sensitivities have changed.

I need to eat less food now to stay the same weight, or even less, to lose, than I ate a few years ago. Also, when I weigh less, I have to eat less, as I need less food for a smaller body.

There are supplements that help.

Does that answer a part of what you wanted to know, at all?

Or did you want to know something else?

Yeah I was just asking for instance if I ate nothing but spinach, pork and beef and lost 100 pounds. Is it possible for this to not produce the same results?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-19-18, 19:16

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImAllLike
Yeah I was just asking for instance if I ate nothing but spinach, pork and beef and lost 100 pounds. Is it possible for this to not produce the same results?

I was going to write a bunch of stuff but my answer to your specific questions, "if I ate nothing but spinach, pork and beef and lost 100 pounds. Is it possible for this to not produce the same results?"

Answer: YES, it is possible for this NOT to produce the same results, in fact I suspect it would be likely.

Ask your question in a different way. What are you really trying to get it?

For instance, "If I stop doing low carb and eat with abandon back to the weight I started at, will doing the exact same diet over the same amount of time get my back to my current weight?"

Something like that...
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-19-18, 19:23
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
I was going to write a bunch of stuff but my answer to your specific questions, "if I ate nothing but spinach, pork and beef and lost 100 pounds. Is it possible for this to not produce the same results?"

Answer: YES, it is possible for this NOT to produce the same results, in fact I suspect it would be likely.

Ask your question in a different way. What are you really trying to get it?

For instance, "If I stop doing low carb and eat with abandon back to the weight I started at, will doing the exact same diet over the same amount of time get my back to my current weight?"

Something like that...

Why would it be likely? I mean its induction.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-19-18, 19:26

BF:

Quote:
Why would it be likely? I mean its induction.

Because EVERYTHING has changed since then. You will not even be able to exactly reproduce what you ate, when you ate, etc.

It might even work BETTER and FASTER this time. You will be the only one to know

I wish you well.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-19-18, 20:27
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I lost and regained in excess of 50 pounds nearly a dozen times over 3 decades. Twice I lost more that 70 (and regained the loss plus more), once I lost 90 pounds (and then regained again), and this last time I lost 250 pounds. I regained some since reaching goal, but since I've made LCHF my permanent way of eating the bounce after goal was limited. I know that women can have some other issues (hormones, etc), but when I'm following a strict LC program I always lose. It was hard to lose the last 20 pounds on a diet in my 20's, it was hard again when I was 53. The closer to goal weight that I got the slower the weight came off and the more focused I needed to be to make the scale keep moving. It has never been as simple as "eat when hungry, stop when full" for me. My problem since reaching goal has been finding the will to put in the work to get this last 20 pounds back off. I'm still working on that.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-19-18, 22:16
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
I lost and regained in excess of 50 pounds nearly a dozen times over 3 decades. Twice I lost more that 70 (and regained the loss plus more), once I lost 90 pounds (and then regained again), and this last time I lost 250 pounds. I regained some since reaching goal, but since I've made LCHF my permanent way of eating the bounce after goal was limited. I know that women can have some other issues (hormones, etc), but when I'm following a strict LC program I always lose. It was hard to lose the last 20 pounds on a diet in my 20's, it was hard again when I was 53. The closer to goal weight that I got the slower the weight came off and the more focused I needed to be to make the scale keep moving. It has never been as simple as "eat when hungry, stop when full" for me. My problem since reaching goal has been finding the will to put in the work to get this last 20 pounds back off. I'm still working on that.

Yeah I went from 310 to 210. When I got to 210 I was happy and I was excited to get down to 170. But when I got down to 210 while eating the same way I did to get down to 210, the next day I went up to 212 then i was up to 218 before I knew it and seemed to stabilize at that weight. And I just sort of spiraled into a carb frenzy due to frustration of stalling. My question is when you do have those final 20 pounds to go and the weight wont seem to budge what more can you do? I was drinking diet soda, eating spinach and pork or beef with butter and sugar free bbq sauce. All the carb counts were below 20 i'm sure but i just stopped losing. What could I have done differently to have been able to get down to 170 like i planned?
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-20-18, 03:42

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi, ImAllAlike. Would it be ok to phrase the question like this: "What can I do now to make progress?"

I have found that the healthier the source of the food is, such as eating grass-fed, organic beef, rather than buying whatever factory-farmed beef is on sale this week, that I feel better, eat less, and can eat without worrying what happens to me after I put that food in my mouth.

I am one of those who must avoid processed meats, factory-farmed meats. Same for butter and cream; it's got to be grass-fed organic.

There are so many things which can disrupt our metabolism, our biochemical balance.

The folks in the Atkins support thread might be able to say more. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=479802

I am sending you good though and wish you a very lovely morning.

Last edited by SilverEm : Fri, Apr-20-18 at 03:58.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-20-18, 06:01

BF:

Quote:
Yeah I went from 310 to 210. When I got to 210 I was happy and I was excited to get down to 170. But when I got down to 210 while eating the same way I did to get down to 210, the next day I went up to 212 then i was up to 218 before I knew it and seemed to stabilize at that weight. And I just sort of spiraled into a carb frenzy due to frustration of stalling. My question is when you do have those final 20 pounds to go and the weight wont seem to budge what more can you do? I was drinking diet soda, eating spinach and pork or beef with butter and sugar free bbq sauce. All the carb counts were below 20 i'm sure but i just stopped losing. What could I have done differently to have been able to get down to 170 like i planned?

First; wait. Sometimes that's the best thing you can do. That and be able to be friendly and accept the weight you are at today. The body is difficult to control so you have to let it do what it do. Your mind decided that you needed to be 170 - your body can have other plans.

Be patient