Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-18, 07:04

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default The Magic Pill documentary

We have heard a lot about Pete Evans new film while it was in production. It is now released in the US for rent or purchase on iTunes.
You can see the trailer here and consider hosting a film screening at a theatre. Or view it with a small group in your home.

The Magic Pill trailer – How to make food your medicine
https://www.dietdoctor.com/magic-pi...e-food-medicine

If you like Pete Evans recipes, Dr Mercola's new Fat for Fuel Book has a companion cookbook featuring Pete's Recipes.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-27-18, 19:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/195/188 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

Watched The Magic Pill last night with my wife, daughter, son-in-law and grand baby on Amazon Prime. Cost me $4.99 but it was definitely worth it. Very good and well-made movie, quite emotional, a tear-jerker at times. International in scope, covered the gamut of insulin resistance diseases, and featured many of the current low-carb stars. My wife was quite interested, even though she usually denies my viewpoints. Made my daughter, who is a low-carb supporter, very uncomfortable with her baby's diet especially when she's at daycare. I think this movie is worth seeing even by well-versed low carb advocates like we have on this board, its so well done.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-17-18, 22:31

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Bought and watched this today over lunch. Gotta agree with LCFP above, it touched on a lot of interconnecting points in a lot of different ways but it got the message through pretty well.

But boy, the Australian Medical Association sure don't like it very much, hehe.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-25-18, 13:15

Quote:
Watch The Magic Pill on Netflix
The great new movie The Magic Pill, featuring plenty of familiar low-carb faces (including me), is now available on Netflix in the US, Canada, UK, Australia and New Zealand. You can watch the trailer at the link.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/watch-th...pill-on-netflix
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-25-18, 17:01

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grav
Bought and watched this today over lunch. Gotta agree with LCFP above, it touched on a lot of interconnecting points in a lot of different ways but it got the message through pretty well.

But boy, the Australian Medical Association sure don't like it very much, hehe.

If the AMA was a genuine professional association with genuine intent to warn about genuine dangers to public health, it would not conduct a baseless smear campaign. Note how each point where they accuse Evans has no supporting argument. In this way, each of those points is allowed to float on public belief. For example, the reference to the comparision to the anti-vaccination movie Vaxxed and the reference to the imaginary "awards for the films least likely to contribute to public health". Or, Evans has already been warned not to dabble in medicine (I could argue that this means the AMA is in fact dabbling in medicine, and they're just trying to defend their turf, i.e. Hey, don't do that, that's our job!).

Here's the thing. Public belief is shaped by all these official-looking associations, or at least that's what they continuously try to do.

I'm about to watch the movie, and as I do, I'm effortlessly ignoring all official associations on the planet.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-26-18, 03:08

The production quality is superb, it is the type of film that could get a broader audience than a typical health documentary. The autisic child's behavior improvements, and health of older folks, Reversing Diabetes, etc. is in line with success stories seen on forums like this. The place where the film was pushing the limits was with the woman who declined all standard breast cancer treatments with kosher Keto. Dr Fine reined in that segment back to using Keto as adjuvant therapy, but to feature an extreme case which leaves the impression you can "cure cancer" with Diet alone is a setup for criticisms about dabbling in Medicine. For any low carber on this forum it is a must see
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-26-18, 04:56

Plan: LCHF / IF
Stats: 333/113/138 Female 5'6"
BF:BMI 56/18/22
Progress: 113%

Interesting!
I might have to watch that on Netflix tonight
Aussies in a bad light again? dayum!! hehe

edit: Back again -- I watched it tonight -- very very wonderful, even had me shedding a few tears for those beautiful outcomes various people had. btw I loved those beautiful Aboriginals *big hugs* to them - 40,000 years and all

Last edited by bluej : Thu, Apr-26-18 at 06:58.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-26-18, 05:59

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Janet, that woman clearly said she didn't get any chemo or surgery. If Dr Fine reined it in, he failed, cuz I didn't hear "adjuvant", I heard "only keto". Also, don't need to dabble in medicine to be accused of dabbling in medicine by the AMA (or by any other official and pseudo-official association for that matter), just need to advocate low-carb, especially by pointing out medically pertinent aspects like elimination of insulin or asthma pump for example.

The kid's behavior. The woman's elimination of insulin. The woman's improvements in cognitive abilities. The woman's tumor shrinkage. The woman's elimination of asthma pump. All of these people's overall physiological improvements. That's all medically and clinically pertinent.

The AMA's criticism is truly stupid, if not downright criminal. Put it this way. A doc who's genuinely trying to fix you up, is gonna genuinely consider all effective ways to do so, including a diet that is otherwise believed to be detrimental, i.e. the beneficial effects are weighed in light of side effects. Potent narcotics for a child? Insulin for a diabetic type 2? Diet alone allows those two medical treatments to be eliminated. Not only that, diet alone is more effective than either of those two medical treatments ever were.

No, the AMA should be like "oh emm gee, we gonna jump right in and do that too, cuz it looks real good, even if it helps just a few, cuz if we're honest about it all our other stuff also helps just a few, we're real glad you opened our eyes, and stuff, thanks buddy". Instead, the AMA is like "oh emm gee, he stole our shtick, that's our shtick!!! Thief Impostor!!! Call the cops!!!". Think about it. How many genuine medical practitioners have adopted fully diet as both primary and adjuvant therapy to treat patients, because it just works? Ima list a few. Eenfeldt, Eades (both), Atkins (can't forget him, right?), Fung, Bernstein. Add yours to the list. The point here is that the AMA can do the same without any shame, but doesn't for whatever reason, and instead condemns the treatment and its advocates and I'll go as far as say condemns the beneficial outcomes.

I could lend noble intentions to the AMA, but seriously.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-26-18, 06:09
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

For those of you that want to watch it for free:
here is a link: The Magic Pill

On Youtube, too: The Magic Pill on YT

Last edited by PilotGal : Thu, Apr-26-18 at 06:23.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-27-18, 13:51

Plan: Keto, IF
Stats: 224/136/124 Female 64 inches
BF:44%/23%/20%
Progress: 88%

Wonderful movie, I'm recomending it to all who I' tried to explain my WOE to but failed....
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Apr-27-18, 17:49

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

I think it would probably be worthwhile to see which other therapies all of the people in the movies were using in addition to keto. I did a bit of research into the woman with cancer. Her blog is excellent. Concise factual etc http://www.kosherketogenic.com/. She didn't have radiation or chemo or traditional surgery but her tumor was small. 8mm. She was having yearly mri's and caught it super early and then eradicated it with cryo ablation. The keto came later.

I enjoyed watching the movie but I'm concerned that they aren't telling the whole Truth.

I know from first hand experience with my son how important diet is to kids on the autism spectrum. It was really good to see the story about the little girl with autism who had improved so much. There are a lot of parents in the autism community who roll their eyes at anything diet related but in my experience, cutting gluten/dairy/anything artificial and making sure that there is protein with every meal or snack made a world of difference for my son. Anyways maybe there won't be so much eye rolling from people who have watched the movie.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Apr-27-18, 17:55

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Sebo
Wonderful movie, I'm recomending it to all who I' tried to explain my WOE to but failed....

I have yet to do anything but fail in trying to explain to others my WOE---THey are the ones not listening.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Apr-27-18, 17:57

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by walnut
I think it would probably be worthwhile to see which other therapies all of the people in the movies were using in addition to keto. I did a bit of research into the woman with cancer. Her blog is excellent. Concise factual etc http://www.kosherketogenic.com/. She didn't have radiation or chemo or traditional surgery but her tumor was small. 8mm. She was having yearly mri's and caught it super early and then eradicated it with cryo ablation. The keto came later.

I enjoyed watching the movie but I'm concerned that they aren't telling the whole Truth.

I know from first hand experience with my son how important diet is to kids on the autism spectrum. It was really good to see the story about the little girl with autism who had improved so much. There are a lot of parents in the autism community who roll their eyes at anything diet related but in my experience, cutting gluten/dairy/anything artificial and making sure that there is protein with every meal or snack made a world of difference for my son. Anyways maybe there won't be so much eye rolling from people who have watched the movie.

By trial and error I too found that protein at every meal makes a HUGE difference, as much of an effect as the meds. Ive been on my own trying to make my sons life easier.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Apr-28-18, 05:58

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by walnut
There are a lot of parents in the autism community who roll their eyes at anything diet related but in my experience, cutting gluten/dairy/anything artificial and making sure that there is protein with every meal or snack made a world of difference for my son.

As I understand it, there's a whole network of diet/vitamins plans that claim they can help while charging ridiculous prices. It is these marketing schemes which has triggered the scorn about using such an approach.

Part of it is the misconception that autism happens to "normal" people and can be "cured." This is completely untrue; the autistic brain is wired differently and is usually struggling with too much input, the wrong input, and high sensitivity to the input.

I find it fascinating that protein, especially in a growing child, would turn out to be so vital. Because my own theory is that the autistic brain is always juggling all these extra functions and uses up neurotransmitters as a higher than normal rate. This could be why protein, especially meat which has all the amino acids, could make a such a difference.

I use pregnenolone for its hormone precursor and its neurotransmitter precursor qualities; it's been extremely helpful.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Apr-28-18, 06:12

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear

Part of it is the misconception that autism happens to "normal" people and can be "cured." This is completely untrue; the autistic brain is wired differently and is usually struggling with too much input, the wrong input, and high sensitivity to the input.

I find it fascinating that protein, especially in a growing child, would turn out to be so vital. Because my own theory is that the autistic brain is always juggling all these extra functions and uses up neurotransmitters as a higher than normal rate. This could be why protein, especially meat which has all the amino acids, could make a such a difference.

I use pregnenolone for its hormone precursor and its neurotransmitter precursor qualities; it's been extremely helpful.

THank you for noting this. WHen I talk to the doctors about how my son can blow thru his meds and needs a booster doses sooner than expected, they think I am totally nuts. THis is not possible according to them. I have seen it happen to my son--a four hour ADHD ritalin gone in1 hr of intense work composing a 48 ish line rhyming poem. THAT was a rough night. 6 hrs.

In myself, due to rewireing after a couple strokes, if I cry the connections are broken. Isnt that striking? If I take a nap, the connections are re-established. Since I am prone to crying, I have trialed many supplements tosupport the brain, as I did figure out this is a brain thing thanks to Dr Daniel AMen's tireless work. ( He also supports a good carb diet for the brain.) St Johns Wort and 5 HTP make a huge difference.

I used to be the sappy kid that cried at every episode of Lassi.....