Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-07, 05:34

Plan: Protein Power/Paleo
Stats: 188.5/169.5/145 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:way/too/much!
Progress: 44%

I'm not on vacation either, just swamped with everything that had to be done immediately after returning from Mom's funeral. Had to send DD off to college and get my 2 high schoolers ready for school and started my homeschool this week. It's been busy!

And every night I dutifully read a little PP. I did all the measurements and found out my LBW. The horrific details are in my journal. Now, I'm trying to find the time and the energy to meet my protein requirements and STOP EXCEEDING my carb allotments! I think I'm even going downstairs for a few minutes to lift a few weights.

Sorry about your kitty, LisaZ. That must have been difficult.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-07, 11:57

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I'm sorry about your kitty Lisa- it's really hard to lose a pet. I'm sorry about your mom Sara- it's even harder to lose a person.

I'm doing OK. My oldest and youngest don't start school until Sept 6th, so that's when I'll start officially homeschooling my middle child as well. In the meantime, we're busy decluttering and organizing the house. So far we've gone through all the books on the bookshelves and decided to give away about half of them. We also went through the clothes, and have 3 huge bags worth to give away- a mixture of outgrown children's clothes and "outshrunk" women's clothes. Somebody from Freecycle (who works for a women's shelter and is bringing them there) is coming in about an hour to pick up ALL the stuff.

We still need to put the "keepie" books back on the bookshelf, then we need to clear off DD's desk and set up the homeschooling materials, and get the other two set for school (buying supplies, packing bookbags, etc.)

I was getting frustrated with my diet and decided to add another 10g carbs per day- so I'm at 50g per day now and I lost more weight last week than I did the weeks when I was feeling frustrated and deprived.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-07, 13:54
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaSara6
I'm not on vacation either, just swamped with everything that had to be done immediately after returning from Mom's funeral. Had to send DD off to college and get my 2 high schoolers ready for school and started my homeschool this week. It's been busy!

And every night I dutifully read a little PP. I did all the measurements and found out my LBW. The horrific details are in my journal. Now, I'm trying to find the time and the energy to meet my protein requirements and STOP EXCEEDING my carb allotments! I think I'm even going downstairs for a few minutes to lift a few weights.

Sorry about your kitty, LisaZ. That must have been difficult.

Oh Sara, that's so sweet of you considering what you've been through. I lost my Dad (10 years ago this coming January, when my baby is due actually). I'm still caring for my Mom and it's getting more challenging. You've been through alot. Cut yourself some slack, but keep at it and take good care of yourself, ok?
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-07, 17:59
Taking MY Turn

BF:

With sadness in life also comes great joy and blessings. Not long after one came the other for me. Today I saw my baby via ultrasound and it was utterly unreal and absolutely wonderful! It looks like we're having a boy. Details and pics are in my journal. Just thought I'd share the news with my PP friends!
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Aug-25-07, 06:28

How beautiful! I'm happy for you, Lisa. I hope everything continues to go well.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Aug-27-07, 11:14

Stats: 215/164/158 Female 68 inches (5' 8")
BF:much/less/now :-)
Progress: 89%

Lisa - caught the ultrasound pic on your journal. So awesome! Congrats on things going well. Sorry about your kitty. I could go on and on about having to put my childhood cats to sleep when they were 18 (I was around 28 at the time - can remember it like it was yesterday) but just wanted to say that my thoughts are with you.

Sara - thinking of you also. We lost D's mom in November. I truly cannot imagine how one deals with this...even having seen him and his family struggle with it these past 10 months. My thoughts are with you as well.

As far as PP goes: I've been on a summer "maintenance" plan trying to keep my weight as is while working, traveling, and negociating a lot of family BBQs. I plan to go back to counting carbs and protein in September when I also plan to give up dairy for a few months. I've been on this odd dairy craze of late: low carb milk, cream, tons of cheese...I think its not only stalling me out, but that I've got some addtional bloating and intenstinal distress because of it. Want to see what happens when I totally eliminate it like I did 4 years ago (for different reasons).

Things are good. Work has calmed down and I'm catching up on some things I've put off. My younger kitty has a cold, but seems ok (other than the sneezing and tiny cough that woke me up a dozen times last night). We've put our household on a tight budget for the next three months (as a test) to see if we can pay off some lingering debt and have the kitty's teeth cleaned of tartar buildup (400$ yikes). I've pledged to cut around 150 dollars out of the household expenses which is a real challenge for me since cooking is my only hobby these days and we eat nearly entirely organic. Only 80$ is coming from the grocery budget - so I warned D that we are going to be eating a lot more chicken and less pork and beef. I'm ok with that - I also stopped eating red meat for a while and adapted fine. D gets a bit surly when I serve chicken more than two times in a week. lol. This weekend I found some of my personal care items on the internet for half of what I have been paying retail - this will help a lot too. Most of the budget cuts are coming from entertainment and meals eaten out - this is D's contribution since he likes to eat out so that he can have a carby pasta meal now and then, and while I'm fine with a movie night at home with a DVD, he really likes to see first runs in the theater with a giant bag of popcorn. To compensate a bit, I'll be cooking some special request carby meals for him on weekends and I may be watching more Michael Mann films and Godfather DVDs (for like the 10th time! lol.) on movie night.

Jen
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Aug-27-07, 13:37
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Jen, it's so great to see an update from you! It sounds like you're doing so well. Thanks for the commiseration about my kitty. I think God was truly watching out for me in the timing of it though...allowing me great joy with viewing my son just a week later, you know? And how impressed am I about your budget. That's not easy to do but boy will you reap the rewards with that kind of conscientiousness. Have you made Dreamfields pasta for hubby at home? The price is decent enough and the quality is incredible. When I make ziti bakes or lasagna (sometimes in the form of single noodle wraps, whichs bake more quickly) that's all I use. I don't even tell Mom or DH about it and they love it. As for the movie choices, I can't help you there! LOL
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-07, 09:17

Hey Lisa - yeah, I've got Dreamfield's linguine and and penne in the cabinet. The challenge for me is thinking that I can eat the stuff too...lol. I'll likely make something I can eat the protein out of or just have a splurge once a month. D likes alfredo with shrimp or chicken. No dairy for me, so that will hopefully stop me from chowing down - I'll stick with the chicken part. He also likes ravioli, so I'll probalby keep some regular frozen ones around as a meal for him.

And just so you don't think I've given up on exercise: a friend convinced me to do a pilates class with her once a week starting September 20th. I plan to get back to walking and using my exercise ball to work up to that....should be interesting. I've only been walking the past three months, but stopped the past four weeks because its been unbearably hot and humid. 90 is considered a "break" otherwise its been 100 or close to it for the entire month. The high pressure has been hangin over North Carolina and points south. We've broken every state temp record. Even the cats won't go outside.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-07, 10:02

BF:

Bleh. My fibromyalgia is acting up again today- I was completely unable to fall asleep last night and I only slept from abut 6-11 AM. It's hard to focus on eating right when it hurts to move.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Aug-31-07, 08:20

I'm getting one last post in before September!

WOW. where did this month go.

I've got a Breakfast/cookout/lunch to do on Sunday:

I'm having my fiance's family over on Sunday for an overnight stay, and I normally have tons of ideas for what to cook. Here's the deal: Uncle and Cousin coming from New Jersey - cousin had bariatric surgery, as did her mom, and they lost a lot of weight. She does a higher protein lower carb, but not nessesarily low carb all the time. Fiance's father was diagnosed pre-diabetic 8 weeks ago and doc told him if he wanted to avoid medicaitons he needed to cut the carbs. Amazingly he has followed through on this becasue he hates the idea of being on more meds (well, really in paying for them but whatever gets him going is great). He's not strictly adhering to a low carb diet, but he has really really reduced his carbs, cut out the sugar, and exercises daily. He's lost nealry 20 pounds and plans too keep going. Me - PP all the way. Fiance and Uncle not doing low carb and a bit annoyed by the whole thing. LOL.

D and his family also do not eat nuts and seeds. A couple are alergic and never grew up eating them, so even the ones who can just don't like them.

I was thinking of doing something on the grill - I have hamburger and chicken breasts/drumsticks on hand, but can shop for anything I need on Saturday.

Breakfast: I thought I might make a crust less quiche with ham or sausage in it. And have a melon or some other fruit on hand. D always keeps some bread around so there is toast if folks want it.

Any suggestions for the cookout? Mostly for side dishes. I just don't want to make low carb AND high carb stuff if I can avoid it. So no potato salad for example because leftovers won't get eaten. I could grill some potatos however and toss with fresh herbs...maybe a nice cucumber and pepper salad...

Folks what's your favorite cookout dish?
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Aug-31-07, 09:09

BF:

For a cookout, we usually do a tossed salad, hot dogs and burgers on the grill, and buns available for those who want them. Generally, we only buy hot dog buns because none of the grownups eat the bun (Dad doesn't like it, Mom's watching her calories and I'm watching carbs.) The kids generally don't eat the burgers, except for DS who sometimes wants one with a knife and fork like the rest of us do.

We usually also make corn on the cob OR baked beans OR baked potatoes OR baked sweet potatoes. Sometimes we'll do beans plus one of the other starches when DD1 is home, since she's a vegetarian (most of the time anyway) and I don't feel good about feeding her highly processed meat analogues.

With the crowd you've got, I'd suggest offering buns to go with the burgers and maybe bake a small potato for each of the people who are annoyed with LC. Just wrap in foil and pop on the BBQ. Leftover buns freeze very well!
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Aug-31-07, 11:59

Thanks Ruth!

I like the baked potato on the grill idea.

Buns are already in the freezer! LOL. When I was gone for two weeks D bought some buns and sliced bread and was surprised to find that they molded in less than a week (South, summer, duh.). I think he thought I kept them in there so I would not be tempted to eat them.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Aug-31-07, 15:58

I love cole slaw for a cookout. You can buy the packs already shredded and make up dressing that's mayo/vinegar (I use red wine or cider vinegars) and some splenda to taste. Recipes are easy to find, just substitute splenda and leave out anything else objectionable.

Lots of grilled veggies---zucchini sliced longways, onions, peppers.

Have fun. We're going to a cookout on Sunday and I don't know what they'll be serving besides the gigantic chocolate cake they asked me to bring!
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Aug-31-07, 18:27

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

End of the month already? Wow

It's been a busy one, and next month is going to be also. I've sold my house....now I have to find a new one, pack and move!! yippee!! I'm so looking forward to it!
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Aug-31-07, 20:45

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi, everybody!
The earth hasn't opened up and swallowed me, it just feels that way.
To late to say much,
sorry about your mother Sara,
Lisa, I have had to say goodbye to several pets - never easy!
Cindy, ah yes, moving is SUCH fun!!
That is all I can do now, brain fog is closing in.