Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 17:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 266/266/118 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Pork Chops with Sour Cream Rosemary Sauce

Another something from epicurious.com.
I made it last night with rosemary instead of dill and I really liked it. I made a few alterations that I noted below the recipe.
I really hope somebody else finds this tasty!
Beanie

SAUTEED PORK CHOPS WITH MUSHROOMS, DILL, AND SOUR CREAM

My changes:
I used thick chops so I seared them and then baked them to ensure that they would cook all the way through and be very tender. If you have a cast iron pan, use it so the searing and the baking can all be done in the pan. Otherwise, it will be necessary to transfer back and forth to a baking dish.

Salt and pepper thick (1") pork chops. Sear pork shops in a pan with butter (a minute or two on each side). Transfer to baking dish and add about 1/2 c. chicken broth. Cover with foil (or lid) and bake at 350 degrees F for about 40 minutes.

While meat is cooking, saute yellow onions and mushrooms in the pan you seared the meat in (so any residual meat drippings will be kept.

When meat is done baking, transfer meat to a plate and keep warm. Transfer the broth and meat drippings back to the pan with the veggies and reduce it until it's thick and carmelly looking. Now.....this is the good part.....add sour cream and mix it up. I added more than the recipe called. I then added the rosemary and served the sauce poured over the meat.

Last edited by Kristine : Sat, Jan-08-05 at 13:32. Reason: Copyright violation. Post links only, please.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 17:07
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Beanie:

This looks awesome. I don't really like dill so the Rosemary sounds good. I'm always looking to find pork recipes without some kind of fruit in them.

I hickory smoke my pork in my dandy "stovetop smoker". I'll let you know how this turns out.

Wanda
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 19:17
Registered Member

Stats: 266/266/118 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

YES! I am always looking for pork recipes without fruit too!!! I had defrosted the pork yesterday and then spent so much time looking for something good to make that didn't call for some sort of fruit glaze or compote. It was driving me a little crazy.

One idea is to use white wine instead of chicken broth because the alcohol should all burn off so no alcohol calories. But the wine would have to be dry so there would be no sugar. I have more pork defrosting so I think I will try substituting vermouth for the broth since this should have less sugar.

Let me know what you think and if you have suggestions.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 17:16
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Beanie:

When I started preparing the sauce I realized I had no onions. So I used some smoked leeks that I keep in the freezer. The sauce was to-die-for. Thanks for the recipe. It's much better than BBQ sauce, which isn't very filling.

Wanda
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 06:54

Stats: 135/121/124 Female 66 in
BF:
Progress: 127%
Thumbs up

Hi, I've been here about a year, but haven't posted before. I tried this recipe last night, following the modified version. The chops were extremely tender, and the sauce was RICH! Very good. My husband, who is a ketchup fiend usually, loved it just the way it was.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 08:18

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 286/207/115 Female 5' 0"
BF:
Progress: 46%
Thumbs up A Must Try

I made this last night for dinner. Delicious!

I made the original recipe using the dill instead of rosemary (next time I will try the rosemary). Boy, was it good! My husband went back for seconds and polished off the leftovers that I was going to save for my lunch today! I used a pork tenderloin and had planned to grill the 2nd one tonight (marinated in Italian Dressing and then grilled... this is my Husband's favorite way to eat pork tenderloin.) I made extra sauce last night and had plenty leftover so I gave him a choice. I told him that we could grill the second tenderloin tonight or I could make it the same way I made it last night since I have enough sauce left over. He opted for a repeat of last night. You have to realize how big a deal this is... he usually doesn't like to eat the same thing two nights in a row! So, needless to say, it was a huge hit!

My Modifications:

I used a pork tenderloin instead of pork chops. (Because I already had a package thawed, waiting to be marinated and grilled.) I sliced the tenderloin into medallions about an inch thick. I placed the browned pork into a covered casserole in a 300 degree oven to finish cooking while I made the sauce. I used all the mushrooms that I had on hand, which were about 5 fairly large ones. I used more sour cream than called for because I wanted plenty of sauce. I did not add the water (because I was in a hurry and didn't want to wait for it to cook down) but I did add some cream to thin the sour cream a bit. I used salt, pepper, and garlic powder on the pork and in the sauce. I used the dill instead of the rosemary in the sauce; and I didn't have fresh so I used dried. When I took the pork out of the oven, I didn't realize how much juice would be rendered, so when I added the juice into the sauce it thinned it considerably. I didn't have time to wait for it to cook back down so I added some xanthium to thicken it quickly.

Give it a try... it's really good. The sauce is like a stroganoff so it would be good with beef, venison, and, in my opinion, chicken. It would also be good over lc pasta.

Phyllis
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-08-05, 12:30

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 286/207/115 Female 5' 0"
BF:
Progress: 46%
Default Great on Hamburger

When I made this the second night, I decided to make more sauce (and a lot of it) so that I could use it on hamburger patties at lunch. Yesterday I cooked up some hamburger patties, heated the sauce, and poured over the hamburger. Very Very Good! This will be a great thing to have on hand for quick lunches. Heat up the hamburger and the sauce in the microwave... team it with a salad or vegetable and lunch is ready to eat.

Phyllis
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Dec-09-06, 20:23

Plan: my own thing
Stats: 350/269.0/199 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 54%

I just wanted to bump this because we made it for dinner and it was amazing. I would say this could be a dish worthy of entertaining. Make sure to use broth or wine to give more flavour to the sauce.

I used bone-in pork chops but I will surely try this with chicken breasts.

Enjoy and thanks for posting this recipe, it is a keeper!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-12, 16:50
Memere to 4

Stats: 227/199/150 Female 5ft 3in
BF:Too much
Progress: 36%

Bumping this recipe up. It's really rich in flavor and easy to make. ( I made the original recipe with dill.)