Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-13, 18:57

Plan: Wheat Belly
Stats: 245/232/115 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Oh, if you're on potassium sparing diuretics you should check with your doctor before supplementing potassium. Yes, Nu-Salt is a salt-substitute with lots of potassium.

Thanks! I kinda thought so given the name of it, yeah I have to stay away from those. But I do add salt to my food which I have been told not too, but I do so anyhow. I cannot tolerate bland food
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-13, 00:06

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 165/154.3/148 Female 170cm
BF:No Thanks.
Progress: 63%

It does get confusing. I take meds for HBP and my doc says to use no salt. So I try not to, but I do use a lot of soy sauce and that is very salty. My BP never changed at any stage with or without salt. Potassium I try to stay away from there is some in my multi but other than that I don't want to add to it.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-13, 12:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 315/315/240 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

For me the huge amount of water I shed is related to not getting as much salt. Low carb is very, very low salt unless you are consciously trying to add more. Literally, I can lose 5 pounds over night (and pee ever hour) if my salt drops.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-13, 12:17
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitfuture
It does get confusing. I take meds for HBP and my doc says to use no salt. So I try not to, but I do use a lot of soy sauce and that is very salty. My BP never changed at any stage with or without salt. Potassium I try to stay away from there is some in my multi but other than that I don't want to add to it.

Not surprising. Salt really isn't the cause of high BP in most people.

Only some BP meds are potassium-sparing. Those are the ones you have to be cautious about when supplementing potassium.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-13, 12:25

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thinchix
For me the huge amount of water I shed is related to not getting as much salt. Low carb is very, very low salt unless you are consciously trying to add more. Literally, I can lose 5 pounds over night (and pee ever hour) if my salt drops.

That is interesting. I do add salt to my food because I cannot stand plain food, period. It has to have some sort of seasoning.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-13, 15:10
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Once glycogen stores are depleted the major diuretic effect of low-carb or going into ketosis stops. For me thats an incentive to stay on plan (in ketosis) all the time else I will have a bad night or two constantly going to the loo
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-13, 17:11

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
Once glycogen stores are depleted the major diuretic effect of low-carb or going into ketosis stops. For me thats an incentive to stay on plan (in ketosis) all the time else I will have a bad night or two constantly going to the loo

Well mine seems to have regulated, I still go more than I did before but I know it was because I am not used to drinking this much water. But the constant need to go has ceased now. Hopefully it was just a sign I am in Ketosis, since my appetite has disappeared I take it I probably am.