Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-17-04, 18:39

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 290/272.5/200 Female 57 inches
BF:49%/48%/??
Progress: 19%
Default Number of Carbs per Meal

I'm new to the board and have a question about Protein Power. I know the initial phase of PP allows 30-40 carbs per day and they recommend 7-10 carbs per meal. How closely does one have to follow the carbs per meal guideline? Most of the time I can follow it easily, but there are other days, say when I am going out to dinner, that it would be nice to go over the 10 carbs per meal, possibly up to 15 carbs for that meal, as long as I was not going over my 30-40 per day. Is that not a good idea?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-17-04, 20:03
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

If it's only once in a while, sure, it's not going to hurt you in the long run. At worst, it might slow down your weight loss a tad. That's part of making it a way of life, not a diet.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-18-04, 09:39

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

i agree with kristine.....that is what makes this plan work so well, it is flexable to real life needs.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-21-04, 10:13

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I agree, too. I will say that the first time I did PP (meaning, obsessively), I stuck to the 7-10 carbs per meal and spread them out through the day. This is when I had the most success with the program. The Eades want you to do this to keep your insulin levels as even as possible throughout the day.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-06-05, 13:01

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/210/160 Male 5' 7"
BF:31%/31%/24%
Progress: 0%

My Super Paleolithic Punch breakfast (recipe available at Nutrition Recovery) is 13.6 carbs. It's a complete meal, though, with three different types of fats, which slows absorption, which moderates the insulin spike. That's a good tradeoff for me.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-06-05, 16:03

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 166.5/146.5/145 Female 67 in.
BF:23.21%
Progress: 93%

If you are only planning on splurging by 5 extra carbs, I wouldn't even worry about that. It just won't make that big of difference if you do it occasionally. My meals vary by quite a bit. I try to stay between 15-20g carbs per meal, but I know I sometimes go up as high as 30 or so, and it doesn't really cause any major problems. An all-out carbathon, that's a completely different matter Play around with the level of carbs a bit. I found personally that I FEEL better and LOSE better at 15-20g per meal. It helps me keep my blood sugar fairly stable. Some people do better on 10g per meal. Listen to your body and you will know what is best for you. Good luck!