Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-02, 09:06

Plan: it was Adkins
Stats: 137/137/120
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Has this happened to anyone else?

I tried the Adkins diet and by the third day of induction, I was so shakey, jittery, and couldn't think (it was so bad that I almost called the emergency squad) that I broke down and ate a piece of bread and a glass of milk. I was eating like I was supposed to, took vitamins, drank lots of water... so I don't know what happened. Has anything like this ever happened to anyone else? I am thinking about doing the Sugar Busters diet. Any adivce?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-02, 09:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Seems like you were going through carbohydrate withdrawl. As long as you were eating on plan and had no longer than 5-6 hours between meals, I'd say it is a classic case of withdraw symptoms.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-02, 10:03
Registered Member

Stats: 222/168/135
BF:41/33/20
Progress: 62%

Sounds like sugar withdrawl to me - you can break thru that barrier - Try again - and eat protein if it happens again. The first time I broke thru that barrier I did nothing but sleep for 3 days!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-02, 10:11

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Ditto what they said.

Typical carb withdrawal. It normally only lasts for 4 to 6 days then you are fine

Give it another shot and next time you feel dizzy/weak instead of grabbing for the bread and milk, instead grab some cheese or protein snack
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-02, 10:48
Registered Member

Stats: 186/160/135
BF:
Progress: 51%

That happened to me too at 1st. I agree it may be carbhydrate withdrawl. Try upping your carbs JUST A LITTLE & don't forget to make sure you are eating enough veggies!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-02, 13:03

BF:

thanks for all the input! I thought I was the only one to go thru that horrible ordeal! I was thinking about trying the diet again and GRADUALLY cutting back on carbs. That way I won't shock my system so back. I asked my doctor about it, also. He said to cut back gradually... isn't so hard on your body that way. I'm thinking between the Adkins and the Sugar Busters, there should be a happy medium somewhere!
Thanks again!!!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-02, 13:47
Registered Member

Stats: 275/237/210
BF:
Progress: 58%

Carb withdrawl can be a pain.. for me... (i dont like that I know about this from going into in more than once).. I have about 2 stupid days... really.. once I start induction.. about 2 days into it, my motor skills slow and my brain seems... slow..... I have learned that it (for me) best time to start (or re-start as the case may be if I have had a loooooooooooong break) is in the middle of the week so I wont lose my job giving people bad advice.. lol..

We all react diff to the carb filled lifes we have had... our bodies are trying to fight off because we have taught it to crave and need and fuel us with the junk.

You will pull through... if you want it.. and it is worth it...
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-02, 16:40

Stats: 279/235/190
BF:
Progress: 49%

Well I felt like crap for 2 days but since then I am a ball of energy.

I think you may have been trying to NO Carb instead of low carb.

Have you read Dr. Atkins Book?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dandr.jpg (65.7 KB, 161 views)
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-18-02, 11:14

BF:
Default Dr. Adkins

Yes, I read Adkins book... I did exactly what he was saying to do. I called the # in the back of the book and spoke to someone about what happened to me. He said to just up my carbs a bit more and make sure I take vitamins.

By the way, did you know that Dr. Adkins had a heart attack supposedly because of his diet?
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-18-02, 11:27

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 265/258/129
BF:48/48/20
Progress: 5%
Default Not a heart attack

Dr Atkins did NOT have a heart attack. he has a heart infection and that was the cause. For a complete story, see the home page or go to www.atkinscenter.com.

Amazing how quick people will believe something.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-18-02, 12:36
Registered Member

Stats: 186/160/135
BF:
Progress: 51%

I hear ya! I saw him interviewed on the Today show by Katie C. and it made me so mad. She was obviously totally misinformed both on the subject of heart attacks and heart infections as well as the Atkins diet.

A heart attack and a heart infection are two totally different things!!! I used to audit patient charts at a hospital and I know this for a medical FACT!

She was asking him how a diet that does not include vegetables could be efffective. OH PLEASE? No veggies. Read Katie before you look like an idiot!