Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-01-02, 16:21

Plan: 40/35/25
Stats: 160/160/155 Female 5'10
BF:25/23/18
Progress: 0%
Default Starting BFL Challenge 1, anyone else?

okay,
I am really excited about joining the BFL group here!
I'm the kind of person that has been active for years, but like Nat had said in a previous post, was doing cardio all the time and not really seeing results. I feel great from cardio, but have never really seen much for weight loss results no matter what kind of eating I have been doing.

I'm starting BFL for the first time this Monday, is there anyone else starting too?

Also, I have a question, I'm beginning to train for a half marathon~ will all the running be too much cardio and affect the BFL plan? I will use my runs for the cardio days, however certain days will require longer runs (max distance 18-20km)...

any feedback, or anyone else beginning too?

I'm excited!!!
d
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-01-02, 16:25

Plan: VLC
Stats: 248/188.8/148 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 59%
Talking ME! ME! ME!

I'm starting tomorrow!!!!! I'm completely psyched about it too!!!

Lots to do tonight to get prepared... leaving work now, will try to check in again tonight, otherwise, I'll be back tomorrow.

= )
Kate
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-01-02, 16:30

mnokat!
cool, lets check in with each other!
I have to figure out all my measurements and BF.. will go the the Y tommorow to see if they have calipers. I am reading through the book this weekend and getting myself psyched up.

I would like to do LC while on BFL as well, how bout you?

also borrowing a dig camera from the library for fun so I can take the 'before and afters'!!

good luck for tommorow!!
d
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-02, 10:23

Plan: LC & BFL
Stats: 214/175/150 Female 5'6
BF:will/update/:)
Progress: 61%

Hi deze & mnokat!

I am gearing up to start Body For Life "officially" on 11/11. I have read the book & I am using this week as a practice-run & to get myself better prepared.
(I'm sort of neurotic that way)

I am very excited to do this & I am going to measure myself everywhere (fingers/toes included) & take those before pictures.
<gulp>

We can do this!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-02, 14:15

Plan: scaresdale and now Protien power
Stats: 160/137/128
BF:
Progress: 72%

Not sure what BFL is but my girlfriend and I have been going to the gym and working out 4 times a week. and do about 12 on each machine and some times 24... Then we do water arobics twice a week and some half hour pailates twice a week and sometimes reg arobics.. then we walk 3 or 4 time a week.. I think the weight room is the best for turning fat to muscle.. but we need all.. Well it works guys... I lost 21 lbs from 160 to 139 and I just bought two pair of jeans size 6. WOW I never wore this si ze when I weighed 115 once when I was younger... and I am wearing some jeans I did wear then... when I weighed 115 from then.. I have firmed up and just got back from cruise.. When I started they measured my lean and fat .... with a machine they hook you up to.. and my fat was only 19.68 percent.. which was good.. but after working out 10 days on cruise in ghm them took this again and I dropped to 18.6. even though my weight didn't drop my size did and I stayed the same weight wize... But after getting home dropped 6 lbs in a week.. SO work out guys I was not a believer but all this has happened for me in 2 1/2 months.. I eat about 50 carbs a day.. and on cruise ate 100 to 125 a day. but eat good carbs.. am eating 50 carbs again and trying to get 130... But I will not go below this cause I will be at perfect body fat for a soon to be 50 year old.. WOrk out and low carb... guys it is worth it and in short time... Hope this helps
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-02, 16:05

Yesican,
glad you are starting too, I am reading through the book this weekend, bought some protein bars and shake stuff, have been organizing a book with tabs and photocopied sheets so it is all ready for easy use!

I tryed finding a way to accurately measure BF
I used the CKD parameter calculatorhttp://www.users.voicenet.com/~petrizzi/fitness/ckdcalc.html

and the formula:

hips+thighs-(2xcalf)-wrist= %BF

and then averaged the 2 results....

so, I have 22.08%BF right now... I dont really have goal in mind, but will read on and see.

Also bought some glutamine which was suggested!

cant wait to check in with you both, mnokat and yesican!

WE CAN DO IT!!!

lotwm, thanks for your enthusiasm, glad the plan is working for you, sounds like you love it!!!!!

cant wait to feel the results!!

d
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-02, 22:07

yeah Robin,
another one, this will be so much more fun knowing there are other 'newbies' at this!

d
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-02, 08:49

How is everyone today?

I did a dry run for the UBW. I posted some questions in another thread...I'm confused about the two sets of 12 reps at the end of each set...I have no idea which exercise (s) we are supposed to use for those & also if we do them at the end of every body part (ex...shoulders, chest, biceps)

Have a great day!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-02, 10:48

Day 1,
well, it was a good workout, but I missed a couple of exercises because I couldnt remember how to do them, and was too shy to ask someone at the Y... also saw about 4 other people there with the same photocopied sheets of exercises and were all doing the same stufff... thats funny, great to see though!

I am looking forward to my 'second' breakfast!!!!!

will check in tommorow, I guess this will just take about a week to really start 'getting' it!

hope everyone else had fun too!

ciao,
d
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-02, 23:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/220/166
BF:36.9%/28.6%/23%
Progress: 53%
Default I'm starting

Week 10. It is a great program. Next time I do it I'm going to try and be more careful about my diet, but I'm not sure I will try to low carb my way through it.

I haven't lost much weight, but I've firmed up a lot, and have lost fat and gained muscle. Wearing size 16 pants today. Down a size or two.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-02, 23:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/220/166
BF:36.9%/28.6%/23%
Progress: 53%
Default Yesican

The pattern of the excercises is that you do each body part in the following manner:

12 reps at a fairly low weight (like carrying groceries upstairs)
10 reps at an increased weight
8 reps at an even greater weight
6 reps at the heaviest weight
reduce the weight and do the same excercise for 12 reps
then do 12 reps of a different excercise but working the same body part.

I think the idea is that you do a compound excercise for the first 5 sets, and the one set that is different is supposed to be a more isolated excercise.

Compound excercises use more than one body joint. Work more than one body part at a time. The last set works just that muscle you are attempting to strengthen, such as maybe doing a bicep curl on the last set if you were working biceps.

I hope that makes it a little clearer.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-02, 08:58

BF:
Talking C1W1D4!!!

Hi Everyone!!!!!!

Sorry I haven't been online.. Had myself a nice long weekend and was too busy to get on the puter. Plus, the power outage on Saturday definitely didn't help.

Anyway. Progress so far is good!! My UB is finally recovering from Saturday's UBWO! LOL My LB, on the other hand, is SCREAMING at me today from yesterday's WO. Cardio today should be interesting. Not sure my calves will ever loosen up enough again to allow me to jog!!!

Still working on the food situation. I went a little high carb over the weekend, trying to see how my body will react to it. Definitely need the high carb after the workout. The rest of the day, I am going to try to go lower though. Need to go food shopping tonight after the gym, then I can start planning my meals a little better. Eating 6 times a day is really hard for me though!

I'm more convinced than ever that I can do this though. Just think... as of Survivor on Thursday, I will have completed week 1!!!!!! If I can do one week, I can CERTAINLY do 11 more!!!!

Need to tweak a couple of my excercises.. other than that it's great so far!!

How y'all doin'?????

#13   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-02, 15:42

Sherry,

Thank you! That clarifies that question for me.

Great job mnokat, Sherry & deze!

I am doing my trial run still. I did 20 minutes of aerobics today.

I will start "for real" on Sunday! I was going to wait till Monday but thought, "Why?"

Our free day is going to be on Saturdays so I have changed the entire schedule accordingly starting Sunday.

I am feeling good & psyched about this.

I am still not 100% sure of how many extra carbs I will eat. Right now, I'm at about 35 a day.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-02, 22:00

hope everyone had a great day!!

my cardio was great, really fun actually!

ready for LB tommorow!
d
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 07:58

BF:
Unhappy C1W1D5

My cardio yesterday sucked. My legs are STILL killing me from my LBWO Monday. I got 3/4 of the way through my treadmill and threw in the towel... walked the rest of it at a very moderate pace. Calves hurt. Bad. if I sit for too long and then stand... OWWWW. Today is only UBWO so at least my legs will get a rest until the cardio tomorrow.

LOL And to think I didn't think I was getting anything out of my LBWO!!!!!!