Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-19-17, 01:41

Plan: ≤ 20 carbs & IF
Stats: 292/235/170 Male 72 Inches
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Odd BG Spike?

I don't normally consume soft drinks at all. I especially don't like diet sodas, they always seemed to upset my stomach or have a bad aftertaste, with one exception:

When I did drink sodas, I liked Mtn. Dew and once purchased a diet one by mistake, and did not even realize it was diet until after I had drank it. It was pretty good!

Tonight on my way home I stopped in to the corner market to see if they had the diet version at their soda fountain so I got a medium size and felt strange after I drank it, checked my BG and it was 192! The past few days my BG has been 110 - 130, (it has continued to improve), and has not gone over 140.

I know the guy at the store so I called him and asked him to check if someone goofed and hooked up regular where the diet was supposed to go, and he said it was marked diet, but would change it out anyway.

I have hot black coffee every morning, a high caffeine light roast, and my BG has not gone over 140. Any ideas on this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-19-17, 03:53

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Same idea you had...someone hooked up the sweet concentrate. The concept of "unsweet" iced tea is still so foreign in NC the waiters here just don't hear the UN, or they do bring me glass but then refill it later with sweet tea. Buy a bottle of diet Mt Dew to test it at home though, maybe you are super-sensitive to whichever sweetener used?
You can occasionally get BG spikes even when fasting, as energy is being released from body fat stores, but the simple explanation above is more likely.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Aug-19-17 at 05:01.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-19-17, 20:22

BF:

OK, I followed your advice and got a 12oz bottle of diet Mtn Dew and guzzled it all down on an empty stomach, with a starting BG of 115. I sat at my computer doing my emails and reading the news and 30 minutes later my BG was unchanged, 115. I then went for my evening walk for 30 minutes and as soon as I got back my BG was 135 - pretty much what I'd expect immediately after my walk. I think you are right, the soda fountain had the one from last night mismarked.

I am kinda curious though, I was reading on the Atkins page that diet sodas can cause weight GAIN. This makes no sense to me. From what I can tell, for some people, it triggers their sweet tooth and makes them hungrier and crave carbs or something - ie not a direct result of the diet soda. Is that correct?

Kinda makes me wonder because Atkins sells all these low carb candy bars, (for outrageous prices...), wouldn't they do the same thing? Like... maybe Atkins wants you to buy their expensive sweets instead of getting a cheap diet soft drink?

Seriously, is there something in artificial sweeteners that can cause weight gain? I have read a few articles that contradict each other. It's confusing.

Bill
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-20-17, 03:59

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Atkins Nutritional, the company and official website is a for-profit corporation. They will sell you anything that makes makes money. https://www.dietdoctor.com/atkins-fairy-tale-candy

The three doctors who wrote the 2010 Atkins book advise eating real food, but the editor added bars and shakes to the menu. The Atkins books since have added even more branded food-like products, but last I looked, there was still an option menu based only on real food. Stick to that.

As for artificial sweeteners causing weight gain, this is a question that results in strong opinions on both sides here and just about everywhere in the diet research world.
Here's one http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...41&page=1&pp=15
When I read new studies about AS, I rarely post them because the same arguments will result

The latest research is that the artificial sweeteners disturb your gut microbiome and do have a direct impact on obesity. A brand new Canadian study:
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...ain-poor-healt/

https://www.nature.com/nature/journ...nature13793.pdf

Many posts on similar studies here: https://www.dietdoctor.com/?s=Artificial+sweeteners

PS: there are Stevia sodas now, a Stevia flavor drop called STUR, extracts and plain essence flavored sparkling waters. Enough options to satisfy a sweet tooth with herb based sweeteners.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Aug-20-17 at 04:12.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-20-17, 08:41

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

One of the AS theories behind being the cause of an insulin spike is that as soon as a sweet taste enters your mouth, receptors start the insulin response. Janet is right, we've debated this ad nauseum on this forum, and others are constantly going back and forth based on studies and hypotheses. In the end, it all comes down to how the individual responds to AS that will determine whether consumption is appropriate for you. You are taking the steps to determine BG response, and you'll likely conclude that you're good with AS. I'm not, and the recent research Janet has cited with disruption of gut microbiome and my negative reaction to aspartame keep me away. Many others who have made great sustained progress do fine with AS.

As for the Stevia-sweetened sodas and drinks now available, I can consume these without any issues, but . . . I find them too sweet. So, if there's one downside to LCHF in eliminating sugar addiction, it's that many no longer want anything sweet to the degree we did before LCHF. Yeah, it's a real problem . . .
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-20-17, 08:46

Plan: I eat all of the eggs. :)
Stats: 600/400/160 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 45%

You would be better off NOT drinking those diet sodas and drinks. Stick to water. It is what your body needs and craves. Coffee and tea are fine too as long as they are unsweetened. Cream optional.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-20-17, 09:15

BF:

I've been doing more reading and I see how this debate is ongoing. A recent article I read I think made the most sense, It basically said:

"If you are eating an unhealthy diet, then the diet sodas are probably not going to do you any good. If you are eating a healthy diet, having a diet soda now and then probably won't do you any harm."

I think that makes sense.