Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-19-04, 09:30
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180/138/130 Female 155 cm
BF:
Progress: 84%
Default Has anyone experienced Dandruff?

Hey all, sounds like an embarrassing subject but the last 3 months I have experienced some really bad dandruff...I see alot of threads about hair loss but my hair is SO thick I am welcoming the shedding of a few extra hairs.

I have began taking the essential oils in a pill form (3/day) for the last week and it doesn't seem to be helping. Suggestions? I have spent about $300 trying to get rid of this...I have very black hair so it's pretty noticable and most of my wardrobe is black. At the very least I have been able to introduce light colours in my wardrobe!

Help me!

lucia
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-20-04, 01:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/210/160 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 0%

When I restarted Atkins in January I experienced terrible dandruff. Started out as dry patches on the sides, then spread to the top. It was horrible and so itchy. My hair is pretty thin and you can see my scalp. While I had the dandruff my hair had stopped falling out though. Dandruff lasted a while but it's better now. I used Nizorol. No more dandruff but once again I lose hair in the shower.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-20-04, 08:52
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Here's a thread by a member who used coconut oil for dandruff with excellent results

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...ht=dandruff+oil

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-04, 09:06

Plan: my own
Stats: 151.5/142.0/125 Female 5ft 3.5in
BF:?
Progress: 36%

Also AFWife uses oil of oregano in her shampoo. She says that works
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-04, 09:08
PuertoRican Princess

Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginga
Also AFWife uses oil of oregano in her shampoo. She says that works

Yes indeed it did. No more dandruff, WOO HOO!

I put a dropperful of OoO in my T-Gel shampoo and use it twice a week. And no I don't smell like a walking pizza.

Good luck.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-04, 12:05

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default More essential oils

I take 10 caps a day and if I don't, I get really nasty cracks in the ends of my fingers in the winter. YMMV, but I'd suspect a lack of some kind of useful oil or fat in your diet. What might you have quit eating, fat-wise, when you started LC?

It takes more than a week for my body to incorporate new vitamins.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-25-04, 08:06

Stats: 199/177/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

lucia,
Check with your Doctor. There is a chapter in the Atkins book that talks about yeast. It causes alot of things and one of them is dandruff. It can also cause a rash after you have been on Atkins for awhile. My Doctor told me to use Selsun Blue and believe it or not it actually works. Let me know how things work out. Good Luck.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jun-25-04, 15:14

Stats: 213/170/155 Male 6'
BF:26%/17%/8%
Progress: 74%

I use a shampoo called Roffler. It's great!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jun-26-04, 21:57
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180/138/130 Female 155 cm
BF:
Progress: 84%

Hey there Arizona...I really have tried everything...seems a touch better lately since introducing the 3-6-9 oils in a supplement form.

I have tried Nizoral, Selsun Blue, apple cider vinegar, Phyto shampoo for dry dandruff, a special treatment from Phyto (seems to work the best, expensive), coconut oil, baby oil, Neutrogena T-Gel, Head and Shoulders...crazy huh? I went to my Dr. and she said to try Dove...made it worse! The only thing that gave me a week of no flakes was getting a colour thru it at the salon, probably burnt all the flakes away!

The fact I have black hair doesn't help....

Always up for suggestions from anyone tho! Already spent a tremendous amout so why stop trying stuff!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 06:22

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Go further uphill

It looks like most of your efforts have been aimed at your scalp.

When I get conditions that don't get fixed by surface treatments, I have to go back up the metabolic chain. What can I do to affect the cells before they become dandruff (in this case; dandruff has not been my problem).

My intermittent acne clears up because of changes in my diet more than any topical treatment I have tried. Ditto weak fingernails.