Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-10-02, 20:53
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Thumbs down High protein, low carb diets don't work, say nutritionists on 'No Diet Day'

Sunday May 5, 2002, 2:03 PM EST

By AMY CARMICHAEL

TORONTO (CP) - The array of options available these days to the desperate modern dieter are dizzying: plenty of protein with no carbs, apple cider vinegar capsules and ephedra extract, or slimming capsules dissolved in a cup of tea.

But to mark a 10-year-old occasion on Monday called International Don't Diet Day, dieticians are reminding Canadians that few weight-loss programs - many of them downright dangerous - can replace healthy eating and regular exercise, especially over the long-term.

"It's a money-making business," said Karin Davis, a program co-ordinator for the National Eating Disorder Information Centre. "The diet industry is smart, they know people are looking for another diet because they don't work."

The number of Canadian-based diet scams is growing, says a private investigator and former Health Canada inspector. Ron Reinhold is investigating some 13 weight-loss promotions, most of which operate out of Montreal and eastern Ontario, that he believes are related.

He said he's frustrated the government isn't cracking down on the scams.

"I've seen people try eight, nine different kinds of lose-weight-quick schemes and then get really down when they don't work," Reinhold said during an interview from his office in Black Diamond, Alta. "These scams really chip away at the dignity of women."

Jean Bosko, 62, has been struggling to shed pounds for years. She got an ad for such a weight-loss scheme in the mail. She participates in one well-known weight-loss program and has tried various herbal slimming pills to curb her appetite. None of it has worked. So when she got an offer in the mail for pills that promised to take off weight without requiring a change in diet, she gave in to the hope that it just might work.

"Both my son and I have a bit of a weight problem. I talked to him and we just decided to try it," Bosko said in a telephone interview from her home in Blind Bay, B.C.

After the tablets arrived, she carefully stirred them into her tea - and did indeed notice a change. "Both my son and I gained weight."

Bosko stopped payment on the cheque, logged on to the Internet to do some research and realized she'd probably been had.

Reinhold said those who sell such bogus products are very covert, using post-office boxes as business addresses and hiring a call centre to work as an answering service and take orders.

He said a direct-mail company is hired to clean out the post office box and do the banking, making it difficult to confront the culprits.

"There is a lack of a real dedicated enforcement group with the investigative skills to properly go after these scams and address health fraud in Canada," said Reinhold, whose countless letters of complaint to Ottawa have so far elicited no reply.

Even some of the most credible diets are just as ineffective, nutritionists say.

Dr. Rhonda Bell, an associate nutritional science professor at the University of Alberta, said the key to healthy weight loss is simple and just plain common sense. Exercise more and follow a nutrition program designed by a doctor, such as the Canada Food Guide, she said.

The Dieticians of Canada organization insists that gradual weight loss - no more than 1 to 2 pounds per week - is best, and more likely to be lasting. A safe exercise plan that can be permanently added to a person's lifestyle is key, they say.

Restricting food intake works against most dieters, said Bell. "When you have a very low intake your body senses a state of starvation. Metabolic rates slow and your body does what it can to preserve your stores. And for a dieter, a slower metabolism is not where you want to go."

She said even one of the most popular fad diets - low carb, high protein - actually makes it harder to lose weight.

"When you limit the amount of carbohydrates you take in, you force the body to try to convert glucose from other sources into amino acids," Bell said. "It's hard for the body to do that and often ends up breaking down lean muscle tissue to meet those needs."

( )

A dieter doesn't want to lose muscle mass, because that's the tissue in the body most able to burn calories, she added.

Many people don't realize or just won't accept that they are largely genetically bound to their shape and size, said Davis, adding that genes are 80 per cent responsible for setting a person's weight. By contrast, genetics are only thought to be 46 per cent responsible for a person developing breast cancer, she noted.

"Initially, it seems like we do have the power to change our shape because you will see initial success with dieting, but inevitably, people binge and end up gaining back more than they lost."

International Don't Diet Day was founded in 1992 by Mary Evens Young of the English anti-diet lobby group DietBreakers. She established the day to express frustration with societal standards of appearance that pressure people to be thin - often with devastating results.

Around the world, health-care workers use the occasion to educate people about eating and dieting disorders.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/020505/6/m7w1.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-10-02, 22:00

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 229/185/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 59%

hmm I wouldnt mind betting (I wont eat Wa'ils hat twice in one day ) that Ms Author has either never been overweight or is and isnt willing enough to do anything about it
Either looking for excuses to stay fat and feed there carb addiction Id say, or dont have one and therefore dont understand.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-10-02, 22:13
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Default Re: High protein, low carb diets don't work, say nutritionists on 'No Diet Day'

Quote:
Originally posted by doreen T

Dr. Rhonda Bell, an associate nutritional science professor at the University of Alberta, said the key to healthy weight loss is simple and just plain common sense. Exercise more and follow a nutrition program designed by a doctor

That's great, Rhonda! I follow a diet designed by Doctors Edes and Atkins

Quote:

"When you limit the amount of carbohydrates you take in, you force the body to try to convert glucose from other sources into amino acids," Bell said.

Dear Rhonda, amino acids come from protein not from carbs. That's o.k., don't be embarressed, we won't take away your Phd.

But you really should read some research before making such statements, just to avoid looking like an idiot.

Wa'il
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-10-02, 22:26
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

What made me boil is the way they lump in low-carb/ hi-protein diets with the Apple Cider Vinegar pills/ Phyto-trim scams. Pffffllltt

Notice that there's no mention of ultra-low calorie programs offered at "medically supervised" clinics, where a person eats 800 cal. per day and has to get vitamin injections, and the lifetime maintenance is still low calorie forever.

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 02:30
Registered Member

Plan: Little of everything
Stats: 293/247/200 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%

Quote:
She said even one of the most popular fad diets - low carb, high protein - actually makes it harder to lose weight.

Fad Diet? Over 30 years of success and it's a fad. I'll tell you what will be considerd a fad 100 years from now....low fat high carb.

Quote:
Many people don't realize or just won't accept that they are largely genetically bound to their shape and size, said Davis, adding that genes are 80 per cent responsible for setting a person's weight.

Sorry Rhonda, genes are more likely 80 per cent responsible for you insulin reaction to carbs. Somehow I doubt there were very many heavy people 10,000 years ago, before agriculture, not nearly enough time for there to be an evolutionary change to have genes that just cause you to be plain old fat for no reason.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 02:52
Registered Member

Plan: Little of everything
Stats: 293/247/200 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%

Hmmm, I scoped out the internet on Dr. Bell and found that she has recieved a grant in May 2001 for studying

"Dietary induction of insulin resistance"
http://www.ahfmr.ab.ca/press/nserc.shtml

which I think means figuring out what foods can cause insulin resistance...

You'd think she would know better, or maybe grant money no come if low fat not way to go.

Note it's an associate professer making these statments, most likely all the full professors know better.

Ok I'll stop now.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 09:39

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

Mr F--100 years? Try 3 million!

These people can think (okay, here poorly, but thinking I must admit it is) because their ancestors ate high protein diets. Kinda ironic, when you stop to think about it.

No-diet day is a great idea, tho--diets don't work, as we all know. A permanent change in WOL is the key.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 09:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/205/110 Female 58"
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Doreen - The Clinic You Mentioned

As a recovering former member of the diet clinic you mentioned earlier, Doreen, I am strongly in favour of these articles exposing the dangers hidden there, rather than misrepresenting the low carb way of life.

I can personally attest to following DrB for 6 months and being told from them that it was a 900 calorie/day diet. After watching the CBC expose you learn that the diet isn't even reaching 500 calories a day!! Yet the clinic adamantly states that it is 900.

And, to top it all off, this is a "medically supervised" weight loss program designed by a doctor!!

It is certainly more dangerous to someone's health to go to that clinic than to follow a lowcarb lifestyle.

Deanna
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 10:15
Forum Founder

Default Re: Doreen - The Clinic You Mentioned

Quote:
Originally posted by deelight_99
As a recovering former member of the diet clinic you mentioned earlier, Doreen, I am strongly in favour of these articles exposing the dangers hidden there, rather than misrepresenting the low carb way of life.

I can personally attest to following DrB for 6 months and being told from them that it was a 900 calorie/day diet. After watching the CBC expose you learn that the diet isn't even reaching 500 calories a day!! Yet the clinic adamantly states that it is 900.

And, to top it all off, this is a "medically supervised" weight loss program designed by a doctor!!

It is certainly more dangerous to someone's health to go to that clinic than to follow a lowcarb lifestyle.

Deanna

Deanna, good for you!

Please keep us posted on your progress and recovery using PP. I'm quite interested in seeing how your metabolism adapts to normal calories. It's doable.

I'm really happy for you!

Wa'il
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 10:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/205/110 Female 58"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Thanks Wa'il,

It's terribly difficult....I gained 20lbs back! The hardest thing is that I let myself get sucked in when I THOUGHT I was smarter than that!

However, that's all part of life's experiences, in my opinion.

Now I am incorporating weight training and cardio into my regime, which I should have done all along.

Thanks again,
Deanna
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 10:55
Forum Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by deelight_99
Thanks Wa'il,

It's terribly difficult....I gained 20lbs back! The hardest thing is that I let myself get sucked in when I THOUGHT I was smarter than that!

However, that's all part of life's experiences, in my opinion.

Now I am incorporating weight training and cardio into my regime, which I should have done all along.

Thanks again,
Deanna

That might actually be good, as I don't think most of those 20 lbs are fat.

Not sure if you're interested iin starting a journal, but if you do, I'll keep you company there. As you know me, I'm sure you know my first recommendation, take measurements

Wa'il
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 17:59

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Re: High protein, low carb diets don't work, say nutritionists on 'No Diet Day'

[QUOTE]Originally posted by doreen T
Sunday May 5, 2002, 2:03 PM EST

By AMY CARMICHAEL

"When you limit the amount of carbohydrates you take in, you force the body to try to convert glucose from other sources into amino acids," Bell said. "It's hard for the body to do that and often ends up breaking down lean muscle tissue to meet those needs."

A dieter doesn't want to lose muscle mass, because that's the tissue in the body most able to burn calories, she added."

Of course it will...especially if you aren't getting adequate dietary protein following a high carb/low fat diet.

"Many people don't realize or just won't accept that they are largely genetically bound to their shape and size, said Davis, adding that genes are 80 per cent responsible for setting a person's weight. By contrast, genetics are only thought to be 46 per cent responsible for a person developing breast cancer, she noted."

Genetically predisposed to being more than 100 lbs. over my ideal weight? I don't think so! If that were the case, I wouldn't have been able to lose as much as I have as I would have been fighting my "preprogrammed" weight the whole time.

"International Don't Diet Day was founded in 1992 by Mary Evens Young of the English anti-diet lobby group DietBreakers. She established the day to express frustration with societal standards of appearance that pressure people to be thin - often with devastating results.

Around the world, health-care workers use the occasion to educate people about eating and dieting disorders."

A wonderful idea and a worthy pursuit. Let's also educate people on the effect of carbs on insulin production and how it leads to insulin resistance and diabetes/heart disease. Why include Atkins and other low carb plans in the list to be attacked? This is not a diet...it's a permanent change in lifestyle leading to permanent weight loss and increased health. Atkins also encourages excercise as part of the lifestyle. Sounds pretty healthy to me!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-04, 12:57
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 250/237/150 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 13%

this article irks me as well. diet's recommended by doctors have not been particularly effective for me in the long term. they have all been very low calorie and while the weight come off nicely, sometimes painlessly (when injections replace the nutrients you can't get on 500 calories a day - Dr.B) it just doesn't stay off. helpful family doctors have given me phen-phen and amphetamines to decrease my appetite (weight comes off with ease when you don't eat anything because your brain chemistry is altered). the sole diet advise from my family physicians over the years has been to eat more veggies. diet doctors have charged me buckets of $$$$ for medically supervised low calorie diets that left me thinner (and paler for the most part) for a while - but not for long after leaving. wholistic/alternative medicine has not been much better (big focus on the 'good' carbs - not much focus on my inability to stop eating carbs in massive quantities good or bad).

atkins is the first diet that i have not felt deprived or food obsessed on. my skin has improved. my energy levels have improved and i am not eating massive quantities of food (nor do i have the desire to). and as an added bonus i am losing weight.

i am not convinced that 80% of weight is genetic. all the women (and most of the men) on my moms side of the family are overweight and many have thryoid problems - HOWEVER - they eat a typical north american high fat, high carb, high protein, high calorie diet. i am not convinced it is genetic. not convinced at all.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-04, 13:21

Plan: Atkins+
Stats: 386/285/200 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 54%

If one's weight is genetic, why the worldwide increase in obesity in the last 30-40 years? Fortunately, I'm not doing one of those high protein diets, I'm doing an adequate proein, high fat one (Atkins). Nyah Levi
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-04, 15:06

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/170/170
BF:
Progress: 100%

Dohhhh.

And people wonder why we on this board DON'T LISTEN TO DIETICIANS.

They don't get it. And what the DO get, they get WRONG.

RD = Real Dumb