Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-05, 15:11

Plan: modified southbeach
Stats: 146/141/125 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress:

I did end up starting metformin after all, started at 500 mg once a day for a week, then twice a day. I've been on it for a month now, and have noticed less cravings for carbohydrates and sweets, I feel fuller now, and my appetite has gone down so I'm taking in fewer calories. I'm not starving either!! I've lost about 5 lbs in the past month since starting it. The only side effects I've experienced are nausea & bloating for a few days when I start the higher dose. Every so often, I'll get a little paranoid about the dangerous side effects (lactic acidosis), when I feel a little flu-ish, with muscle aches, but it goes away after a day or two so I know it can't be the metformin, probably just a virus.
I don't have PCOS or diabetes, but I agree that I think metformin is a tool for weight-loss in people who have tried diet/exercise/low-carb and it's still not helping.
It does help women with infertility due to PCOS, so I'm sure it's ok in pregnancy because women might not know they're pregnant at first while they're on it. Also, I do know it helps with central obesity (apple shape) more than pear shape, so that's why it's used on kids.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Apr-25-05, 09:45

Plan: Atkins variation
Stats: 218/196/150 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

I'm on metformin for PCOS. Some of you who have been prescribed met for weight loss are on such low dosages that I'd be stunned if the met was making a difference to your weight loss even if you are insulin resistant.

Also - I think it takes quite a long time usually for enough met to build up in your system to really have an effect (my doctor said 4 weeks on 1600 mg A DAY) before we'd see real results.

That said - well done to those of you losing!

Whatever works...
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Apr-28-05, 09:01

Plan: 1200 Calorie diet
Stats: 212/212/150 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default symptoms from glucophage

hi, i was just wondering if anyone else is experiencing any certain symptoms from taking the glucophage for weight loss. i have had stomach cramps, but its mainly that i have been so incredibly tired its ridiculous. i normally am up around 6:45 every morning to excersice eat breakfast and take a shower to be at work by 8:30. now im lucky if i am up by 8:30 and thats after going to bed around 11 or so. just wondering if anyone else is having this before i talk to my doctor.
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-05, 06:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290/234.8/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 39%

I was just diagnosed IR and put on Metformin a few days ago. The stomach cramps and diarrhea were so bad yesterday I was convinced I was allergic or something. I've also been super tired and had a real lack of energy. A call to my doctor confirmed that this is totally normal in the first couple of weeks. He said it eases after about a week and pretty much disappears by the second week.

Let's hang in there together, we'll get through it!
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-05, 06:09

Plan: Atkins variation
Stats: 218/196/150 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

I have the poos from my met. I've been on it for two weeks.

I don't feel splendid, that's for sure. I find that if I take the met in the middle of my meal, the side effects aren't as bad...
  #36   ^
Old Sun, May-01-05, 11:56

Plan: 1200 Calorie diet
Stats: 212/212/150 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 0%

thanks im glad to know im not the only one feeling draggy all day long. and im glad to know its not going to last. i do have to go back to the doc at then end of my first month which will be in about a week to see my progress. and without being able to excersice cause i cant wake up early enough, im not sure if i have made any.. but its ok!
  #37   ^
Old Mon, May-09-05, 10:21

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 253/245/160 Female 6FT 2 IN
BF:
Progress:
Default Glucophage - Nausea

I was on glucophage about 5 yrs ago and it made me feel just awful, stomach ache, running to the bathroom, just feeling like I had the flu. But I started taking it again last week. 850mg twice a day after meals. I am doing lo carb this time and I have no symptoms at all. I think that the more carbs you have in your system the worse you will feel on this medication. just thought this might help some of you.
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Nov-08-05, 11:59

Plan: 1200 calorie
Stats: 200/190/125 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default glucophage

I have been taking glucophage for about a month now, after killing myself in the gym, I noticed I wasn't losing a pound actually gaining. I went to my doc for help and found out I was prediabetic....which was the reason I was trying to shed pounds in the first place. I haven't had any side effects I take 850 mg once a day during or right before a meal. I didn't notice a difference in my weight until I bought a gown for a ball......and there was room to spare!!! Now this may seem a little selfish, but I can deal with the diabetes, I just want to lose weight. What I am struggling with is the portions, they have me on a 1200 calorie intake with very limited carbs, how do you guys do it. I'm a southern cook everything comes with bread and rice. Some pointers would be great.
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Dec-03-05, 10:18

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 277/253/165 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 21%
Question

What type of side effects did you experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilw
Just wanted to post a quick note about my success with taking metformin. (I'm not diabetic, nor do I have PCOS, just taking for weight loss. So far I've lost 6 pounds in 8 days. My weight is staying off. I've lost my craving for something sweet after each meal. It feels really good to be able to maintain a weight loss. I've cut out bread, except for the ocassional slice of whole wheat, along with pasta, potatoes etc. I plan to continue taking metformin. The ill effects I initally experienced have pretty much subsided. Woohoo.
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Dec-20-05, 17:01

Plan: My Own Evil Plan
Stats: 260.0/250/130 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 8%

Honestly if I didn’t have PCOS I wouldn't take Met. The side effects were a serious nightmare when I first started the medication.
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Dec-21-05, 04:41

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 277/253/165 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 21%

OMG. You all have me totally scared now.

This sounds like a terrible medication. I've gotten my blood work back and I am barely IR but have PCOS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennlee
Honestly if I didn’t have PCOS I wouldn't take Met. The side effects were a serious nightmare when I first started the medication.
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Dec-21-05, 16:40

Plan: My Own Evil Plan
Stats: 260.0/250/130 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 8%
Smile

If you have PCOS the benefits can greatly outweigh the discomfort. The first few months I was on Met were horrible, however not everyone has it so bad. On the plus side your body will adjust and the side effects usually fade. Overall I’ve had great success on Met and don't regret taking it. My periods normalized and I was finally able to get pregnant twice and carry both babies to term.
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Dec-21-05, 17:38

Plan: zeroish carbs
Stats: 388/300/150 Female 66inches
BF:unfortunately
Progress: 37%

I take metformin also for weightloss. I have all these side effects regularly however to tell the truth because of my weight I can not be certain that these are medication side effects or do I feel lousy because I am so overweight. Initially I had an extreme increase in hunger but eventually I am finding it helpful to curb appetite.
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Dec-22-05, 09:25

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

This is all interesting and I wanted to post a note about IR.

I had IR (and I probably still do) before I went on low carb. The way they found out was by accident...they were testing me for diabetes and noticed that my fasting blood sugar was 109 and after I had taken the glucose it dropped to in the 70s range. The first time, the nurse argued that I had eaten before I came in even though I was supposed to fast (I hadn't) the second time, this nurse was more astute and brought it to the doctor's attention.

That's an absolute sign of IR/pre diabetes apparently.

So I borrowed a meter and started testing my sugar every morning when I first got up and it was always between 100/110.

Also, I was told its a sign of IR if you get very sleepy after a normal carb load meal...not overload, but normal, when most people would get energetic from it.

I was never offered either met or glucophage...curious.
  #45   ^
Old Fri, Dec-23-05, 09:09

Plan: 1200 calorie
Stats: 200/190/125 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress:

I have been taken met for about two months now and haven't had any side effects, I do notice when I skip a dose the sweet cravings come back in full force and after eating I feel completely drained...... I think it's a trial and error process you have to find what works for you.