Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 11:13

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 271/217/186 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default The Lean, Mean, Fishn' Machine

Well, you have coerced me into starting a gym log, on top of the regular journal.

It always seemed redundant to me, but this Fitness Challenge has gotten the juices flowing, and I know that I will need all the support and motivation I can muster.

Got in a great workout yesterday, for my first day on the Challenge.

Regular Canadian Air Force routine prior to breakfast, done between 5:30 and 6:00 AM.

Then, after breakfast, 20 minutes of weight lifting, with an extra set of bench press to finish up. Got my bench bar set at 110 lbs, usually do 3 sets of 10, but sometimes only make 7 or 8 on the last set.

Then, 64 minutes on the Nordic Trak, attempting to sprint the last 4 minutes and build up a 2 minute plus oxygen debt. I also do 30 second sprints at every 10 minute interval, just to keep the heart rate up and make my lungs work on recovery while continuing to work. Watched "Lawrence of Arabia" while traking yesterday.

Had to take parents to clinic for a new prescription right after lunch, and after getting through that, I came home and did a 5 mile walk/jog on a county road. Did quite a bit of running as I was able to go with shorts, running shoes and just a wind breaker over a cotton tee. I can really feel the results in my lower legs and hips this morning.

Got in 4 sets of situps on the incline board during the day. (Part of them during CAF, and during weight circuit, but one extra set before supper, also.)

I have noticed that my body is attempting to adjust and get much more efficient. Would usually be great, but not when I want to burn more fat!

My pulse in the morning, on first arising, is almost never over 54 now, and has been as low as 46. But my blood pressure is good also. Reached a new low, for me, of 116/79 with a pulse of 46 last week. When I started Atkins, six months ago, my blood pressure was about 160/105, pulse about 68-70.

Amazing what the human body can do to make itself more efficient and conservative of fat stores, neh?

Keep on, keepn' on!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 13:30

BF:

Another day, another muscle worked.

Anyone know any specialized exercises to build up your fly casting ability?

My arms and shoulders were definitely stressed yesterday, so I took it pretty easy.

Just did my regular CAF before breakfast, worked in the garden and garage about 3 hours, and did two extra sets of incline situps during the day.

Also fixed up my old Tunturi stand, so now I can begin building up the chest and shoulders with pull ups, dips, and deep push ups.

I can't even do one pull up at this point. When I last had it out and using regularly, about 8 years ago, I could do 6, and could even do a couple of wide grip pull ups.

Much work to do in this area!

I am hitting it hard today though. Regular CAF, first thing, then 64 minutes on the Nordic Trak after breakfast.

Ate 609 calories this morning, then burned 800 calories on exercise.

That is the way to burn fat, neh?

Will hit the weights and the Tunturi this afternoon.

Going on a nice steep hike this coming Saturday, right after getting through the Health Fair where I will get all my blood work updated, plus a number of other test. Will be interesting to see those results!

Keep on, keepn' on!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 07:35

BF:

Well, another week gone, and starting to reach some new fitness goals.

I have added chinups, dips, leg lifts on the dip bar, and jumping rope during the week.

Did not get as much Nordic Trak time as I wished this past week, but the other additions are helping.

And, I have come up with a new perspective for carb counting for the low carb community.

The starvation diets focus on 1000 calories eaten per day as the surefire level to lose weight. (even though much of it is muscle, at those levels.)

I suggest that we LCers set a standard of BURNING at least 1000 calories through exercise every day, no matter what level of eating we may be following at the moment. Provided that a person is in ketosis, that amount will ensure that some stored fat is being burned every day. It will result in either weight loss, or redistribution of fat to muscle, and the result will be increased fitness.

Don't go to bed until you have logged 1000 calories burned on exercise for that day!

Here is my record for yesterday:

Canadian Air Force routine before Breakfast - 48
Nordic Trak skier for 69 minutes - 811
Light calesthenics, crunches, etc. - 48
3 mile jog/walk for 48 minutes - 199
Heavy calesthenics, chinups, dips, etc. -97

Total calories burned yesterday - 1203

I can really feel it in the upper legs, abs and shoulders this morning also. Should tighten up that big belly pretty quickly, neh?

Gotta go hit the Nordic Trak. Catch you later!

Keep on, keepn' on!

Last edited by wwdimmitt : Thu, Apr-10-03 at 07:37.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 08:57
The evolution of me

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Quote:
Don't go to bed until you have logged 1000 calories
burned on exercise for that day!

I'm scared of you! LOL
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-03, 16:48

BF:

Hi, Lisa!

Hey, I scare myself from time to time!

And I have not done too well the past week in getting my 1000+ burned every day. I have gotten some burned every day, and even made the K a couple of times, but not much consistency. Too busy, and my computer modem died. All better now though!

And today is a start on a new week!

Here is my effort for today, so far:

Canadian Air Force before Breakfast - 48 calories burned.

Nordic Trak - 63 minutes, 736 calories burned.

Weight Lifting - 20 minutes, 137 calories burned.

Gardening - 1.5 hrs, 433 calories burned.

Total for the day, so far - 1354 calories burned.

Now, that is the way to burn fat, even for an old guy, neh??

Keep on, keepn' on!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 12:42

BF:

Another day of good effort!

Got in my CAF, 64 minutes on the Nordic Trak, with a good 4 minute sprint to end the session, and 20 minutes of abs exercise afterward.

A little sore from some of the lifting and yard work yesterday, but feeling great.

Burned 892 calories so far today, and have only eaten 449 calories. Where, oh where, could those other calories come from??

Burn, fat, burn!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 10:52

BF:

This is a great week, so far. Really getting into the pattern.

Today:

CAF before breakfast - 48 calories

Nordic Trak - 65 minutes - 759 calories

Weight lifting - 20 minutes - 137 calories

So, 944 calories burned, for 489 calories eaten at breakfast.

Another fat burning day.

Gotta do a good set of abs later, but the garden is calling to me at the moment.

Keep on, keepn' on!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 14:44

BF:
Default One Month on the Fitness Challenge

You want the good news, or the bad news, first??

OK, the semi bad news is that I still weight 224# this morning upon arising. So, I only lost 2 lbs for the month of April.

The very good news is that I am in better shape, and really improving right now. Part of the springtime regeneration, neh?

I had the best workout today that I have had in the past 11 years. Felt good doing it, and I will definitely feel the effects come tomorrow morning.

Here it is:

My usual CAF before breakfast - 48 calories burned
Nordic Trak - 65 minutes - 759 calories burned
Weight lifting 30 minutes - 206 calories burned

For a total of 1015 burned, while eating 1227 calories for breakfast and lunch. And with a total of 9 grams of net carbs.

Burning me some fat! I did all the exercise prior to eating lunch. But, I was hungry when I got to it.

Please note that I have been doing this level of physical effort without any extra carbs, in fact I have cut carbs a little bit over the past week or so.

I am moving some of that fat in storage into energy for growing muscles.

I am really looking forward to the next month on the fitness challenge. More muscle means more fat burning in a shorter amount of time.

Yeee Hawww!

Will post my measurements this evening when M is here to measure me.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 14:45
The evolution of me

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Man you kick ass WW!!!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 15:07

BF:

Hi, Lisa!

It has been a great day, and a great week.

Kinda sad that it took me the whole month to get revved up, but at least I am revving now!

And, I think that part of it is just paying better attention to my own body and what it is telling me. Sometimes it needs to rest up a little before making another big push.

Also, it is real clear to me now that on the OWL phase of Atkins the bod is either losing weight, or redistributing components, but very rarely does it do both at the same time, once the initial, big fat loss has taken place.

It has been a pretty steep learning curve for me, but I think I am catching on now. Not caught up with you yet on these perspectives, but I making some headway.

Now contemplating just weighing at the end of the month, for instance!

Good to see you. I am going to send you a private message, for some help with my pictures. See ya!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 14:48

BF:

Well, as you can see, Lisa K helped me out with my picture for an avatar. Now working on posting a set for the Fitness Challenge.

Speaking of which, my summary for the month of April:

Lost 2 pounds of fat.

Lost 9.75 inches in measurements. BUT, lost nothing on the measurements for the fat gut!!

I was feeling the results from yesterday's super workout, also! Doesn't feel bad, just very clear that a bunch of muscles are rebuilding at the moment.

Did not deter me from working hard today, though!

Got in my CAF before breakfast, then 65 minutes on the Nordic Trak. Very good 5 minute sprint at the end, plus I added a 30 second sprint at each 10 minute interval.

Been watching "Lonesome Dove" the past two morning while Traking. I love that movie, and love the bood even more. Truly the great, American novel, in only 1100 pages or so!

Sure keeps my revs up while trakking, anyway. I got in 6.6 miles yesterday, and 6.3 miles this morning.

Yeeeee Hawww!

Keep on, keepn' on!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 15:17

BF:

Another good workout day. Not quite up to the standard of Wednesday, but still a very good and effective workout.

CAF 5 minutes
NordicTrack 65 minutes, with a good 2 minute oxygen debt from the end sprint.
Weight lifting, 30 minutes

I am getting so that I miss my CAF if a little late doing it.

Replacement for caffiene??
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 17:42

Plan: ?
Stats: 1/1/1 Male 1
BF:
Progress: 37%
Talking Working Hard

HI WW,
just checking in, sounds like your training hard, I like the film watching, I have been working out to Meatloaf's new album and that gets me moving.

Still haven't tried beef jerky but will soon, anyway thats all for now, thanks for the support.

Graeme