Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Nov-01-16, 16:41

Plan: ZC (started w/Atkins)
Stats: 164/132.8/124 Female 5x2"
BF:27%
Progress: 78%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Do you track? I've found that not only helps me lose, it helps me maintain. Something about having to log that extra number keeps me from straying.

That is a huge no kidding!!!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Nov-28-16, 21:11

Plan: LCHF <20g
Stats: 206/182/170 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Welcome back Yabba and good luck on reaquainting your body with low carb.

Thanks for the link Ken (you are hugely inspiring), it was a helpful read for me.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Nov-29-16, 00:25

Plan: Atkins / Keto / ZC
Stats: 182/130/130 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 100%

Welcome back Yabba Dabba Doo! I have a similar story; I lost 20 lb and then got married, gained 8 lb back and then got back on track due to illness (believe it or not). I then lost that 8 - 10 lb, then quit drinking alcohol, and quickly lost another 20 lb. All up, I have lost about 55 lb over four years, with one hitch after getting married. Best thing I ever did was quit drinking alcohol. My backside disappeared! My husband loves my new girlish figure!
I am using the ketogenic diet (LCHF) to hopefully cope with a recent cancer diagnosis, and if I am around in six months time, I will declare a draw. If I am around in a year's time, in the stillness of the night, I will declare a quiet victory.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Nov-29-16, 09:41

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintaka
I am using the ketogenic diet (LCHF) to hopefully cope with a recent cancer diagnosis, and if I am around in six months time, I will declare a draw. If I am around in a year's time, in the stillness of the night, I will declare a quiet victory.

My thoughts are with you during this challenge.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Dec-02-16, 14:28

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

Yup, that was me -- the 'ol carb creep story.

I never completely went off the rails, because that would have been too obvious, but just added "a little here," and "a little there." Also probably never went over 150 carbs.

I got really frustrated when I went on traditional Atkins, lost weight at first, and then it all just completely stopped. So I let my carb creep come from the attitude of, "well, I'm not losing weight anyway, so why not have a few chips." I gained 65 pounds over 8 years -- so not really all that much at once, but it definitely piled on.

I have since read Gary Taubes and now Jason Fung and am a lot clearer on the role of insulin, and why I stopped losing weight on Atkins (my basal insulin probably never lowered enough). Knowing the science is very helpful to my motivation.

But I was glad to read your story (we all learn from it) because I am using IF to lose weight now, and I can imagine using the same idea once I get down to my goal weight -- that I can always use IF to make up for carb creep -- sounds like the type of justification for eating carbs that I would use. I will have to remember that, and I appreciate you mentioning it.

Welcome back, and remember that so many of us have experienced the same journey -- time to learn from us, and from yourself.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Dec-02-16, 16:44

Plan: Atkins / Keto / ZC
Stats: 182/130/130 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 100%

Thank you Were Bear. I have read a very interesting book on the use of keto diet and supplements to knock cancer on the head. I have used keto diet, herbal supplements, hydrogen peroxide and detoxing to try to mop up the malignant cells lurking in my body. I will post once in awhile somewhere on this board.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Dec-08-16, 13:17

Plan: Atkins 72
Stats: 178/178/147 Female 5ft8.5
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintaka
Welcome back Yabba Dabba Doo! I have a similar story; I lost 20 lb and then got married, gained 8 lb back and then got back on track due to illness (believe it or not). I then lost that 8 - 10 lb, then quit drinking alcohol, and quickly lost another 20 lb. All up, I have lost about 55 lb over four years, with one hitch after getting married. Best thing I ever did was quit drinking alcohol. My backside disappeared! My husband loves my new girlish figure!

Aww thank you and my thoughts are with you Mintaka. Sending you strength and hoping that LCHF helps to improve your quality of life. Love the "Yabba dabba doo!" *Big huggles*
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Dec-08-16, 13:27

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmeyster
Yup, that was me -- the 'ol carb creep story.

I have since read Gary Taubes and now Jason Fung and am a lot clearer on the role of insulin, and why I stopped losing weight on Atkins (my basal insulin probably never lowered enough). Knowing the science is very helpful to my motivation.

Thank you for your words and it's nice to know we're not alone in our experiences.

I know of Fung and Taubes - I follow a guy Ted Naiman who explains insulin in diagrams which is so easy to absorb. Though haven't read their books or anything really detailed. Have you an useful links on the role of insulin?

Thanks again! )
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Dec-08-16, 13:40

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Happened to me at a 20 pound weight gain, and that's when I can't wear my pants, and that's when I declare a DefCon ONE.

Do you track? I've found that not only helps me lose, it helps me maintain. Something about having to log that extra number keeps me from straying.

Hey WereBear!

Yes, I am soooo tracking now thanks to your advice!
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Dec-10-16, 09:09

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabbaranks
Hey WereBear!

Yes, I am soooo tracking now thanks to your advice!

Glad I was helpful I am currently sticking with a 4-6 eating window rather easily, and this seems to work well for me, especially in my current state of health. In fact, I think it could help me get better!
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Dec-10-16, 13:38

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.8/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

I'm the queen of backsliding.

Atkins is the only thing that works for me. Period. I'm very very carb sensitive, and when I've gone carb crazy for a time, I always come back to Atkins '72 induction type eating. Why? It is a very basic, easy to remember program and this time around (after 6 months of backsliding and a 13 lb. weight gain) I got back into ketosis in just 3 days, with zero cravings and a 4.5 lb water weight drop in 3 days. I had a headache for the first 2 days (carb withdrawal), but that was it. As long as I stay away from any and everything that is NOT on Atkins '72, things go swimmingly. I feel great, lots of energy, digestive system working perfectly, and by the end of 3 days my appetite is really muted and I'm eating less as well. AND...happily back on track. I get steady weight loss eating this way....I don't lose every day, I can pop back up here and there for no reason, but I always remember that the human body is 60-70% water and water levels/water retention varies. This can be affected by food, but it can also be affected by weather and who knows what else. As long as you are eating correctly, there is no worry. The most important thing of all is CONSISTENCY. CONSISTENCY. Did I mention how important CONSISTENCY is?

I'm sure you can lose weight with virtually any program out there. What I've learned is I like the Atkins advantage and how it kills off your hunger and cravings, and this fact makes sticking with this WOE so very much saner than other diets. I'm not thinking about food all the time. I don't ever feel that hungry.

One thing I will say is that what also works best for me is choosing my foods from a very limited group of foods. How I eat is very very boring, but when you want to lose weight, boring is good. A lot of your food cravings are in your head, so it's not only physiological. I don't spend time making a lot of fancy foods to approximate the way I used to eat....the way that made me gain weight, to be precise. That keeps my cravings alive. So I eat simply and I eat boring.

I have the most success when my meals are simple and predictable. My breakfast is always exactly the same: bacon and eggs, coffee w/cream. Mostly I'm not even hungry for lunch so I skip it. Dinner is a meat and a salad or veggie with butter. This makes shopping very simple as well. Everything is predictable and boring. And it works.
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Dec-16-16, 20:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/182/170 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 60%

You are not alone! I am ashamed of myself now that I've gained the 20lbs back, I'm so dissapointed and discouraged all with myself. I keep saying I'm going to start again and yesterday I tried and I failed...but I have to I can't be addicted to food. I'm an emotional eater and I have to beat this. I will support you and others as God knows I need your support. Wish me luck...tomorrow is my day!