Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#496   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-17, 05:37

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-39070183

Quote:
Fasting diet 'regenerates diabetic pancreas'

The pancreas can be triggered to regenerate itself through a type of fasting diet, say US researchers.
Restoring the function of the organ - which helps control blood sugar levels - reversed symptoms of diabetes in animal experiments.
The study, published in the journal Cell, says the diet reboots the body.
Experts said the findings were "potentially very exciting" as they could become a new treatment for the disease.
The experiments were on mice put on a modified form of the "fasting-mimicking diet".
When people go on it they spend five days on a low calorie, low protein, low carbohydrate but high unsaturated-fat diet.
It resembles a vegan diet with nuts and soups, but with around 800 to 1,100 calories a day.
Then they have 25 days eating what they want - so overall it mimics periods of feast and famine.
Previous research has suggested it can slow the pace of ageing.
Diabetes therapy?
But animal experiments showed the diet regenerated a special type of cell in the pancreas called a beta cell.
These are the cells that detect sugar in the blood and release the hormone insulin if it gets too high.
Dr Valter Longo, from the University of Southern California, said: "Our conclusion is that by pushing the mice into an extreme state and then bringing them back - by starving them and then feeding them again - the cells in the pancreas are triggered to use some kind of developmental reprogramming that rebuilds the part of the organ that's no longer functioning."
There were benefits in both type 1 and type 2 diabetes in the mouse experiments.
Type 1 is caused by the immune system destroying beta cells and type 2 is largely caused by lifestyle and the body no longer responding to insulin.
Further tests on tissue samples from people with type 1 diabetes produced similar effects.
Dr Longo said: "Medically, these findings have the potential to be very important because we've shown - at least in mouse models - that you can use diet to reverse the symptoms of diabetes.
"Scientifically, the findings are perhaps even more important because we've shown that you can use diet to reprogram cells without having to make any genetic alterations."
Separate trials of the diet in people have been shown to improve blood sugar levels. The latest findings help to explain why.
However, Dr Longo said people should not rush off and crash diet.
He told the BBC: "It boils down to do not try this at home, this is so much more sophisticated than people realise."
He said people could "get into trouble" with their health if it was done without medical guidance.
Dr Emily Burns, research communications manager at Diabetes UK, said: "This is potentially very exciting news, but we need to see if the results hold true in humans before we'll know more about what it means for people with diabetes.
"People with type-1 and type-2 diabetes would benefit immensely from treatments that can repair or regenerate insulin-producing cells in the pancreas."
Sponsored Links
  #497   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-17, 16:39

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Dr Longo said: "Medically, these findings have the potential to be very important because we've shown - at least in mouse models - that you can use diet to reverse the symptoms of diabetes.
"Scientifically, the findings are perhaps even more important because we've shown that you can use diet to reprogram cells without having to make any genetic alterations."

Not to be too cynical here (I will be sarcastic, however), but there are good findings that this works for people as well. Dr. Longo would do well to understand the many who have shown how a diet change can eliminate T2 symptoms and help balance T1 blood sugars and insulin requirements. There are a few experts including Bernstein, Fung, Westman, Hallberg, Eenfeldt, Noakes, and others who can attest to this in clinical settings eschewing rodents in favor of actual homo sapiens.

As for the "do not try this at home" recommendation, come on! He's kidding, right? I guess when you are dealing with this extreme level of complexity requiring lofty levels of intelligence, it can be very dangerous for the plebeians to even think of messing with this . . . .
  #498   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-17, 16:51

BF:

Yes, all he's talking about is a 1000 calorie diet for a five day period, that's really not that big a deal. Warnings of the possibility of Atkins flu are probably all that's really necessary.
  #499   ^
Old Thu, Mar-16-17, 06:04
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%
Default Amazing

I'm sure you received this already by email this morning, but what an amazing story.
https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/keith-harmon/
  #500   ^
Old Thu, Mar-16-17, 06:40

BF:

Like it. Also like the Terry Crews video. You see headlines about various celebrities being Paleo or fasting etc., but it's obvious from how he's talking that he really drank the Kool-aid. Or wouldn't go anywhere near the Kool-aid.
  #501   ^
Old Sun, Mar-26-17, 16:36

Plan: keto, looking into IF
Stats: 185/185/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:
Default Question on non-water liquids / coffee replacement

I don't drink coffee and tea gives me heartburn/reflux, so I wanted to find out if replacing coffee/tea with Kaffree Roma Roasted Grain Beverage is ok? (it's roasted barley, roasted malt, roasted chicory, roasted rye)

A scan of the label is on the product listing on Amazon here - https://www.amazon.com/Kaffree-Roma...91497516&sr=8-2

It does have some calories (I think coffee has 2 calories per teaspoon, and this has 10), and I'd take it with a tablespoon of heavy cream.

Thanks
  #502   ^
Old Sun, Mar-26-17, 16:50

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

One rounded teaspoon has 1.7g carb. See http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/beverages/10529/2 for the rest of the nutritional data.
  #503   ^
Old Thu, Apr-06-17, 06:04

BF:

https://intensivedietarymanagement....ic-restriction/

This graphic from Fung's latest blog sort of says it all. The real challenge of course is to create a calorie deficit without eliciting a compensation--whether due to reduced metabolism, reduced activity, reduced appetite, whether we want to call it "hunger" or "head hunger" or "craving."
  #504   ^
Old Thu, Apr-06-17, 06:28

BF:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDEw561NFto

Show with Michael Mosley and Roy Taylor (he did the Newcastle studies showing that giving people a diet similar to what gastric bypass patients eat for eight weeks reverses diabetes). Mosley has a book out based on Taylor's plan, but with real food instead of diet shakes.

At one point a fellow from Diabetes Australia gives the critique that people with diabetes can be prone to depression, and that this might be just one more thing for them to feel like failures about, if they don't manage to do it. I think the last thing a depressed person needs is for a health care provider to have the same dim view of their abilities that their depression might make them prone to.
  #505   ^
Old Thu, Apr-06-17, 07:32

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
This graphic from Fung's latest blog sort of says it all.

It must be true because I agree with it Calories DO matter - but that's not very useful information. Sort of like saying "The Sun is Hot"

For me;

IF or Extended Fasting = fewer calories, lower appetite
One Meal A Day = fewer calories, lower appetite
Morning workouts = fewer calories, lower appetite
Net carbs under 25 = fewer calories, lower appetite

I guess the common thing I see is "lower appetite" when you can sustain this you will loose weight no matter what strategy you use.

That. Is. My. Opinion.

Last edited by thud123 : Thu, Apr-06-17 at 11:00. Reason: added :sunny:
  #506   ^
Old Thu, Apr-06-17, 09:08

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

But it isn't calories that drive up insulin. It's carbs.

I once tracked over a few months. I dropped my carbs from 32 to 22. This brought my average calories from 1800 to 1852.

And I lost weight.
  #507   ^
Old Thu, Apr-06-17, 09:15

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
But it isn't calories that drive up insulin. It's carbs.

I once tracked over a few months. I dropped my carbs from 32 to 22. This brought my average calories from 1800 to 1852.

And I lost weight.

But protein can drive up bg (at least in diabetics - don't know about you normal people). When I started low carbing I thought I could eat all the meat I wanted. Turned out I couldn't. I'm not sure what meat does to insulin, but I would assume it goes up, too. I also had to reduce the amount of fat I was eating - too many calories meant I couldn't lose weight.

So the upshot for me - as an overweight diabetic - is to reduce carbs, reduce protein, and reduce fat. Overall, a reduction in calories.
  #508   ^
Old Thu, Apr-06-17, 09:53

BF:

It probably doesn't have to work the same for everybody, though.

Type of calories do matter--change one type for another, and insulin will go down. But also, taking fat, carbs, and protein, keep any two at the same absolute level, but lower the third, and insulin secretion probably goes down. Also there are interactions between the three. The insulin index for various foods shows that if you give 200 calories or so of very lean beef or fish, mostly protein, there'll be a higher insulin response than if you give eggs or cheese, with roughly the same calories but two thirds fat--but if you work it out as insulin per gram of protein, in that respect the insulin response is greater. This is more obviously true with carbohydrate and fat, absorption of the carbs might slow down, but the insulin requirement per gram of carbohydrate is greatly increase by the fat, even though if you were to eat the fat alone, going from a completely fasted state, there'd be practically no increase in insulin. I'm sort of skeptical about bulletproof coffee--but if you look at it, not only does it minimally break a fast, not much insulin requirement, it also sort of separates some of the day's fat calories from the rest of the diet--does the day's intake of carbohydrate and protein then require less insulin?

I've been eating more ketogenically since Christmas, and I've lost about 15 pounds. I seem to do this almost every year, after a summer of barbecues, although most times previously, I've done it with higher protein intake. I've been eating 16-1800 calories, similar to previous times, but with protein mostly between 60-70 grams (including protein from my veggies) instead of probably 100+. It's just easier. Lowering protein to lower insulin and lose weight makes a lot of eyes roll even in low carb circles, but it does seem to make things easier for me.
  #509   ^
Old Thu, Apr-06-17, 15:24

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
I've been eating 1600-1800 calories, similar to previous times, but with protein mostly between 60-70 grams (including protein from my veggies) instead of probably 100+. It's just easier. Lowering protein to lower insulin and lose weight makes a lot of eyes roll even in low carb circles, but it does seem to make things easier for me.
I've come around to the same way of eating as being easiest, because I am never hungry. When I was eating 100g protein/day I would sometimes feel hungry in 2-3 hrs, instead of 5-18 hrs later. vHFvLC fits perfectly with a 5-6 hr IF eating window, which feels natural for me and allows me to do a lot more living every day.
  #510   ^
Old Fri, Apr-21-17, 07:33

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

His latest blog post on hunger and ghrelin could not have come at a better time for me. I am living it this week. https://intensivedietarymanagement....lin-fasting-29/
Always learning something new with Dr Fung.

I have listened to every FastingTalk podcast since it started and Megan Ramos has been a wealth of Fasting knowledge. This past Friday she and Jimmy (could do without but he provides the platform) that when you fast you fast, when you feast you feast, i.e. clearly OMD is just another form of calorie restriction and you need to shake things up. OMD works in maintenance but not if you want to lose weight. At the same time, in a recent interview, Dr Seyfried is leaning more to fasting than a steady Ketogenic diet for prevention of cancer (treatment is a totally different situation). And Dr. Fung on Fasting and Cancer: http://www.fastingtalk.com/14-dr-ja...ing-and-cancer/

So, back to the post, using all the Tips from 15 episodes of Fasting Talk, getting through the waves of hunger in day 2 and 3 was easy and they became progressively less, and then hunger was gone...exactly as Megan has been advising many times on the podcast. Exactly as in Dr Fung's latest blog post.

Also, The Fasting Book (that I previously wrote I wouldn't buy) is offered New at $9.99 with free shipping from a "Just Launched" Amazon re-seller. After hesitating to trust one with no reviews, I clicked buy yesterday and it has already shipped (or so email says..will let you know when it shows up at my door.

I feel great, am exercising more this week than since my little knee surgery last October, BG was 57 this morning, no hypo symptoms, so much for dawn phenomena, urine ketones deep purple (dating myself, makes me think of the band, singing Smoke on the Water) bursting with energy, am buoyed by Prof Noakes victory, it's a gorgeous day and life is good

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Apr-21-17 at 11:18.