Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-05-16, 18:07

Plan: Dr. Bernstein, low carb
Stats: 200/178/155 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Should I be asking doc for armour/synthyroid?

I will see my doc on Friday to discuss new test results, mainly thyroid. I am not sure if I should push for meds if he does not offer. Any advice welcome.

Here is my story:

I am diabetic controlled with metformin and diet. I requested a thyroid test mainly because after almost 2 years of strict low carb, I have terrible cholesterol numbers: high LDL (200), extremely high particle count (2500), high small LDL. My trigs recently went up from 106 to 159 and my HDL is 57 (down from 63). After researching why this may be on Dr. William Davis site, the culprit could be hypothyroid.

So down this path I went. My results:

TSH - 2.1
ideal is under 1.5 so over ideal, but in accepted range of 0.3 - 4.0

free T3 = 2.2
range given 2.5 - 4.3, no doubt this is low

free T4 = 1.11
range given is .9 - 1.70, so borderline and below the ideal which would be anything above 1.4

No rT3 or antibody test done because I didn't request them.

My symptoms (some of which could have other causes) would be:
1. Dry skin (but I suffered eczema before)
2. Thinning hair all over head(started as an undiagnosed diabetic 2 yrs ago, has not improved after 2 years)
3. Lack of libido. I had a hysterectomy, so post meno since 2009, but libido seemed ok until the last year which also coincides with longer commute and my MIL living with hubs and I
4. Early morning body temp ranges from 97.0 - 98.2, so low but not that low. My lifetime normal is 98.6, but I've never monitored a waking temp before now

I have not had issues losing weight, nor am I particularly cold unless I am fasting which I don't do very often these days. Energy seems fine, about right for amount of sleep I get.

I started supplementing iodine just before the test (as soon as I read my thyroid could be contributing to the LDL particle number and size). I had been mostly using kosher salt and having fish maybe 1 time per week.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-05-16, 19:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Mycie, is your doc an endocrinologist? If not, I'd certainly request a referral to one. That barely normal T4 and below normal T3, combined with a normal TSH means that your pituitary isn't getting the message that your thyroid hormones are out of whack: it's the pituitary that makes and sends the TSH.

My guess is that, if s/he puts you on anything, it'll be levothyroxin--Synthroid--unless you have an unusual doctor. It you'd prefer Armour thyroid, then it's a good idea to come armed with reasons WHY. Too many doctors, including endos, still believe that synthetic stuff is better regulated, etc, etc, despite evidence that Armour and other porcine thyroid supplements are actually more consistent from batch to batch.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-05-16, 22:21

BF:

My appointment is with a primary care doc. I can't get in to the endocrinologist until December which I did schedule as a self-referral. Maybe if my primary care doc refers, the endo will fit me in, or I could look for a tier 2 provider (higher co-pay). I'll see what he says, and then decide I guess.

I only know about the different meds from reading here and on Dr. Davis site. Seems like people who have tried both prefer armour, but this is all relatively new to me.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-06-16, 04:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

I understand. But treating thyroid issues that are NOT straightforward, like yours, is, IMO, beyond the knowledge base of most primary care docs. So if it were me, I'd want to see an endocrinologist.

Mine is pretty straightforward, as these things go, and I still would not go to my brother, a family practice doc who's very good, for my thyroid care.

As for the Armour, I prefer it, myself. But I'm just warning you that most doctors do not, so if you want to use it, you need to know why. Many people do fine on the synthetic, including people here. Me, I didn't.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-06-16, 08:10
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Endocrinologists are probably no more likely to prescribe thyroid with those numbers than a GP. Maybe even less so.

If you want to experiment with thyroid hormone go see a NP or ND -- nurse prac, or naturopathic doctor. You can probably google one up. Taking synthroid probably won't help the low T3 since it is T4 only.

I never really had good results from armour or natural thyroid medications. I'd start off feeling fantastic then a few weeks in I'd feel just horrible.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-13-16, 14:21

BF:

As expected, my GP would not prescribe anything. He did listen, but still said he thought my low free T3 was an anomoly! I am looking for a good integrative medicine or NP or ND, though around here, their assessments are quite pricey. I still have an appointment with an endocrinologist in December, but like you said, I doubt he will be concerned with my numbers.