Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#226   ^
Old Tue, Apr-07-09, 16:41

Plan: vsg/low carb
Stats: 306/153/150 Female 5'6.5"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I had nail fungus on my two big toe nails and I used tea tree oil on them. I just covered the nail with it. I used it everyday for months and months then switched to grapeseed extract and did the same thing with it. It took about a year or so for the nail to grow completely out which is the only way to get rid of the bad nail. I never took anything orally. It was about a year or two before I heard about coconut oil. HTH
Sponsored Links
  #227   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-13, 05:56

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 285/282.2/180 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:

I know this is an old thread, but I am wondering if anyone is still doing this and what are the long term results?? I have been doing this for four days now, and while I have tried to watch some what I eat (As in not as MANY sweets) I really haven't "dieted" per se. I have 100 lbs to lose, so I have been eating 5 TBS CO a day, drinking lots of water and thus far I have lost 5 lbs.

I know many would say this is water weight, and I normally would too. Thing is AF visited me day before yesterday, and every month since I was 10 I have gained 5 lbs water weight which lasts the entire time AF is there, then leaves the following day. I not only didn't gain my 5 lbs, I lost 5 lbs exactly. I feel hungry a lot more frequently (I never feel hungry before noon) and I am eating stuff like greek yogurt, or some cheese, etc and I have loads of energy. Not sure if this is all in my head, but I am willing to give it a try a couple of months longer!
  #228   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-13, 08:07

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I have used VCO for almost three years and never have noticed any impact on weight loss whatsoever. I use it for most cooking, add a T to morning coffee before working out, and sometimes just eat a T to quell hunger...it is a healthy, natural fat but no magic.

Dukan is a LC and low fat diet so 5T of CO does not fit into that program at all.

With 100 pounds to lose, it is possible to lose 10 pounds of water weight in a few days. Read this from the Best Of forum: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=365499

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Aug-14-13 at 12:20.
  #229   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-13, 11:35

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 160/156.4/130 Female 69
BF:36%/33%/25%
Progress: 12%

JEY100, thank you so much for posting all the links to such good research! I catch you only "here and there" and can't find where you have a personal journal but still wanted to say Thank you. I am interested in adding the coconut oil myself for satiation...I am finding myself hungry sometimes on this Atkins induction,,,not all the time and not everyday but when I do, I don't know what to eat to solve it....I am going to try a TBL of the cocunut oil in my hot tea and see if that helps!
  #230   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-13, 12:25

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Your are most welcome. I "moved here" from another forum rather far along toward my weight loss goal, so never started a journal.
I wake up early and usually am hungry, but don't want to eat before exercise, so the CO in coffee will keep me full for quite a while. Give it a try.
  #231   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-13, 14:34

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

I've started using CO on my face and body as a moisturizer - it really does make my skin feel softer and......... dare I say the classic nonsense comment on face cream adverts "reduces the appearance of wrinkles". But actually, it does seem to help!!!

Jo xxx
  #232   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-13, 10:15

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 160/156.4/130 Female 69
BF:36%/33%/25%
Progress: 12%

I am liking all the sounds of using coconut oil,,,,both externally and internally! Looks like it will definitely be a "go" for me! Thanks ladies!
  #233   ^
Old Sat, Aug-31-13, 09:30
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 206/200/150 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Just a note..keep the co in hot coffee..doesn't work so well in iced coffee. Unless you like globs of co LOL
  #234   ^
Old Sat, Aug-31-13, 11:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerful♥
Just a note..keep the co in hot coffee..doesn't work so well in iced coffee. Unless you like globs of co LOL

Thanks for the AM giggles!!!!!!
  #235   ^
Old Sat, Aug-31-13, 12:23

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyRay
I make my own peanut butter at my local health food store. They have a machine which crushes peanuts for you. No preservatives or additives. Tastes great too.

They have that at a little Dutchmans store, but I have to stear clear for a while. I love PB!
  #236   ^
Old Wed, May-28-14, 08:23

Plan: Keto
Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5ft 3.5 in
BF:
Progress: 78%

I don't mean to be negative, but coconut oil hasn't done a thing for me and i use it everyday.
  #237   ^
Old Wed, May-28-14, 08:41

Plan: Atkins/Keto-Queen
Stats: 257/151.0/150 Female 5-8
BF:
Progress: 99%

I cant say if its working for me or not, but something is, still losing a pound every now and then. One thing that it is doing for me is the skin on my arms is clearing up....I have Actinic-Keratosis very bad and have been spreading it on, everywhere, even my hair (works great for the frizzies)....cant see much of a change on my legs....but nice to see improvement on my arms...oh and face too.
  #238   ^
Old Wed, May-28-14, 20:11
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh6251
I don't mean to be negative, but coconut oil hasn't done a thing for me and i use it everyday.

I put a little in my morning coffee for a little twist of flavor. To me, it is just another way to get a little more fat and have a satisfying breakfast. I like it as part of my diet and I'm glad I learned about using it from this forum.

IMO - I think it is more of a help to those who get a little carried away with low calories in combination will low carb. I've read several posts where experienced low-carb members suggest CO to bump up the fat in their diet. If adding a little CO to their diet helps break through a stubborn stall, I can see why they would swear by it.
  #239   ^
Old Wed, May-28-14, 20:26

Plan: Zero
Stats: 95/95/95 Female 50
BF:0
Progress: 36%

CO helps my hunger levels, especially on my down days (JUDDD) where I keep my calories less than 500. I also low carb through those days, so the controlled fat is helpful.
Dr. Lara suggests 2 Tbs CO daily for Intermittent Fasting, so this is why I began using it in broth. Since it has been warmer, I have made fat bombs with it. I use the kind that does not have a coconut flavor. It helps me to significantly curb hunger. Because I enjoy eating leaner meats like chicken without skin and fish, it is an easy way to help boost/supplement my fat intake. It has a higher smoke point as well, so it is easier to avoid burning things when frying with it.
  #240   ^
Old Sun, Dec-28-14, 21:01

Plan: Atkins/Duke diet
Stats: 267/173.8/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 76%

You can take it in your coffee in the morning.....like the bullettproof coffee that's made with coconut oil and butter. It dissolves in the hot coffee.