Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#181   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-04, 22:00

Plan: carb/cal cycling
Stats: 176/136/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 78%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessara
I just want to know one thing: What about the cravings? Don't you get them bad on the carb down time? or heck half way through the carb up time?

i don't seem to get cravings, but i can get pretty hungry on 1200 cals a day.
i think as long as you stay away from foods that trigger cravings you should be fine. foods with gluten seem to trigger cravings for me, that includes oatmeal. i do fine though with a little bit of rice and lower carb fruits as well as nuts on my carb ups.
Sponsored Links
  #182   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-04, 23:05
Princess Perseverant

Plan: general LC - pregnant
Stats: 250/157/157 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

i found that when i ate fruit at more than one meal a day i got cravings and felt too hungry, so i quickly stopped that. on carb up, i therefore basically plan on eating higher carb veggies - more tomato/eggplant type things, fruit with one meal, and maybe some lc chocolate - which doesn't trigger cravings for me the way fruit does!
  #183   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-04, 23:14

Plan: Atkins-CKD
Stats: 175/158.9/130 Female 5'2
BF:??/29.6/19
Progress: 36%

Now would you recommend doing induction first then carb-cycling.......or just carb cycling right away.
  #184   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-04, 23:37

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198/194/150 Female 70 inches
BF:?/34%/25%
Progress: 8%

I would say induction just cause you body needs that time to change from burning carbs to burning fat. and you do USALLY get a lot of wight loss during that.
and i am sorry for any misspellings i am a little druged from migraine meds.
  #185   ^
Old Thu, Sep-09-04, 06:04
Thank You Dr. Atkins

Plan: Atkinsmyway/Carb Cycling
Stats: 185/135/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:yes

Hi everyone! I don't have cravings at all, probably because I stay away from trigger foods which are grains and sugar for me. Like nepeta, I do sometimes get hungry on carb down, but all I want is meat and cheese!

I think it's important to know your trigger foods and to stay away from them.

For those of you just starting to low carb: Do the standard induction as called for in your plan. Then, if Atkins, work your way up the carb ladder as he suggests. Many people never need do more and have easy weight loss! If, eventually, you stall, or your weight loss slows to a crawl (like mine did) you might want to try cycling. There are OTHER things to try too: raising calories, lowering calories, raising carbs, eliminating dairy, alcohol, caffeine, nuts or all fruits, or increasing exercise. There are lots of ways to tweak your plan. But FIRST you should work it as written.

On a personal note: I carbed up yesterday, although didn't get the cals or carbs particularly high, and lost the little I had gained, PLUS another 1/2 pound! Go figure!! I'm still planning on having a good, long carb up.

Also: I went shopping yesterday. I HAD to have a few new clothes. What fun! I bought stretch, boot cut jeans!!! They look great! DH loves them. I haven't worn clothes like this in more than 10 years!! Woo Hoo!!

And for me: 13.5 pounds to goal!!

Anita
  #186   ^
Old Thu, Sep-09-04, 07:07

Stats: 244/244/150 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 0%

How exciting! I hope to have good luck with this like you!
  #187   ^
Old Thu, Sep-09-04, 08:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/148/135 Female 5'5
BF:?/26%/21%
Progress: 35%

Hi Everyone, I'm thinking about trying carb cycling for the rest of the month with something like a 4 days carb down (1700 cal, 20 carb), 3 days carb up (2100 cal, 30-35 carb) kind of thing, but here's what will be the odd part for me: I'm not planning on using a scale or taking measurements for the next month. So the only way I'll know if it's working is if my body feels like it's been making changes... and if it shows up when I weigh/measure in October. What do you think? Should I give it a try even though I won't be monitoring my progress as close as all of you do?
  #188   ^
Old Thu, Sep-09-04, 13:13
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS DIET
Stats: 123/122.5/110 Female 5 something
BF:
Progress: 4%

For carb cycling how many carbs for up can you consume? is it low fat or low calorie diet?
  #189   ^
Old Thu, Sep-09-04, 15:00
Thank You Dr. Atkins

nfb02001 - Hi! I don't know how you would do this without a scale. I weigh every morning and based on how I'm doing decide whether to carb up or down for that day. I guess you could do this without a scale, but I would be worried that I would gain too much weight on carb up, so I don't know. I would proceed with caution.

xotcbabe - This is basically Atkins Induction cycled with Atkins Maintenance. Go back and read the first post and then as much of the thread as you need to understand what we're doing. This is a low carb diet on both the up and down cycles. It is definitely NOT lowfat.
  #190   ^
Old Thu, Sep-09-04, 20:04

Ok, I've decided to give this a try for one week to see how I feel about it. Today I ate some peanut butter, yogurt and fruit to help up my carbs, but everything else was normal. I'll do this again Friday & Saturday, but then starting Sunday I'll be back to "good behavior" through Wednesday again. Depending on how I feel over the course of the next few days, I may either go through the cycle again, or just up my carbs slowly. We'll see. Again, I don't have a scale, so who knows. I might buy a scale this weekend (I hear Target is having a sale), we'll see...
  #191   ^
Old Fri, Sep-10-04, 06:19

BF:

Ok guys....I need help. I am still on carb down. I have been losing slowly, but losing. So should I carb up this weekend? I like to carb up on the weekends and then carb down during the week when I have more control over what I eat.
  #192   ^
Old Fri, Sep-10-04, 07:37
Thank You Dr. Atkins

twistermom: If you've been on carb down for 5-7 days, then I would switch back to carb up for at least a few days.
  #193   ^
Old Fri, Sep-10-04, 07:42

Plan: carb/cal cycling
Stats: 176/136/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 78%

twistermom. - the carb up cycles are just as important as the carb down. i'd say go ahead and do your carb up now since it is the best time & fits better with your life.

nfb - yeah maybe you can find a cheap scale at target.

twistermom and nfb, good luck
  #194   ^
Old Fri, Sep-10-04, 08:03

BF:

Thanks ladies! I will carb up this weekend until the 2 lb. gain and then carb down. I will keep you posted. You know....I think I am afraid of the carb up and weight gain. I have to get past that, I have done it twice so far....geez! I know it works!!!
  #195   ^
Old Fri, Sep-10-04, 18:33

I went to Target today and bought a scale. Nothing fancy, just the cheapest digital scale I could find (so that I won't have to figure out where the little needle is pointing). I screwed up today so badly with my eating.So, tomorrow I'm going back to carb down to clean out all the bad stuff, and once I'm feeling back to normal, I'm going to try this carb cycling stuff. And I'm going to do it properly.... what I did today was not carb cycling, it was pure, unadulterated binging. Fortunately it didn't go too overboard, but worse than I would like (which ideally would include no bad food).

Anyway, I'm rambling. I'll be back next week at some point to let you all know how things go.