Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 09:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 148/148/126 Female 5 feet 5
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default REALLY demoralised!

hello everyone!
can i just say that i'm so glad to have found this site - it has provided me with a great deal of help and encouragement these last few months!
Anyway...i started on atkins in April after 10 or so years of yo yo dieting (always low fat) - when i was 21 i could lose weight soooo easily (i dropped 42 pounds once in 3 months!) unfortunately though as i've approached my late 20's it has gotten harder and harder and i have gotten more and more desperate....then i heard about this plan - so excited! - loads of people going on and on about how much weight they had lost and i thought "i'll have some of that"! - this could finally be it! - okay i wasnt very big but i was not happy at where i was (154 pounds)...i wanted to lose about 21-28 pounds - so i began induction in earnest. It was strange at first, eating eggs, red meat, cream and butter - naughty food after years of rice cakes and skinless chicken breasts (resembling newborn rodents!) - within a couple of weeks i had stopped craving sugar and embraced low carbing wholeheartedly! - i lost 3 pounds (must admit i was a bit disappointed as people had told me that they had lost up to a stone in that time but i reassured myself that it was because i didnt have a great deal to lose) - so to cut a long story short (i'm a terrible chatterbox!) after 4 weeks on induction (stuck to it religiously) i had lost 7 pounds (147).......then nothing for over 5 weeks!!!!!!! - big fat stall (i could almost smell the tumbleweed!) - well actually i PUT ON a pound!(148) - that's when this forum came into it's own - you were all saying to be patient etc etc and i was - i was a bit discouraged but i told myself that this was normal and that it would 'whoosh' away soon...still nothing, even after my T.O.M no 'whoosh'. So i tried Dr Atkins' Fat fast and lost 2 pounds (146) - only to regain it (back on induction) within a couple of days (148)
Something had to be done so i tweaked it here and there - i would be strict with my water intake (i'd been a bit flaky at times not having enough) - i would begin to exercise each day and would eat my main meal around 7.30pm (previously i'd be having dinner at 10!) - also i would have all my salad quota for my evening meal (with some meat or fish mixed in) and for brekkie and lunch i'd have just straight protein (eggs, ham, bacon, cheese) - i started this last monday with hope and anticipation only to find 4 days later (this morning) that i had PUT ON!!!! - i now weigh 152 pounds!!! - thats 4 pounds on!!! - i feel cheated not to mention fat! - a couple of pounds off where i started in the first place! - i'm slowly giving up hope! - why? - where do i go from here? - do i cut out all carbs and just eat straight protein?....i'd be soooo grateful for some advice as i know you are a wise bunch!!!! - just pleeeeze don't give me the old chestnut about muscle weighing more that fat!! - call me old fashioned but i have to see those numbers going down on my bathroom scales (the same scales that i nearly broke my big toe kicking this morning) - many many thanks in advance!!! - ax p.s can mayonnaise stall you?

managed to lose 7 pounds! - Hurray! - i had gotten down to 147
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 09:18

Stats: 148/148/126 Female 5 feet 5
BF:
Progress: 0%

me again....erm...ignore the phantom bit at the bottom about getting down to 147 pounds!!! - it was a typing error from when i wrote the thread - no such luck...i'm still 152 pounds. Damn.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 16:33
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
just pleeeeze don't give me the old chestnut about muscle weighing more that fat!!

Well Adrix, the thing is, it's not an old chestnut. It's God's honest truth. Muscle does weigh more than fat, and many, many low carbers find that they lose inches before losing pounds.
Have you measured yourself? The other thing we suggest is to use a "pant-o-meter" - an item of clothing that is too tight at first then gradually becomes looser. Often while the scales are staying the same.

Many low carbers (including yours truly) were eating fairly low protein diets before finding LC. And just adding adequate protein alone will increase your muscle content, whether or not you add exercise.

Okay.
How about posting some of your actual menus? Do you use Fitday? Because I'm also wondering if you are eating enough. Many folk have found that their weight loss slows or stops if they undereat.

And mayonnaise is great LC food, as long as it's pretty low in carbs. Dr A says mayo with less than 2 carbs per serve is okay. Remember it's mostly oil and egg, so very unlikely to stall anyone.

The other thing to remember is that the people with the big losses are always those with large amounts to lose.

I hope this makes you feel a little better, Adrix. Hang in there!

Rosebud