Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-02, 17:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/224/195
BF:
Progress: 61%
Default MAjor league stall!!!

Hi all,

I have been stalled for 8 months. I was losing at a very steady rate until the last. I increased my carbs to about 50-60 a day, mostly peanuts. I maintained over teh summer. Come fall I tried to lose again. I began induction all over again. Nothing happened. I went very deep into ketosis but no weight loss. At this time, as was also running 8 miles per week which I have gradually increased to 17 now and plan to get up to 40-45 by the end of the summer. Also, I was and still am lifting heavy weights 5 days per week. I called 800-2atkins several times for help and tried all of their suggestions. Just 2 weeks ago I tried a fruit fast, yuck, I gained 6 pounds in 3 days and hated the food. I was always hungry. I started induction again after the fruit fast and lost the 6 pounds and maybe 1 more, 1 week ago.

I eat eggs, bacon, decaf cofee(16oz), heavy cream 2 tbs, splenda 1 tsp, rib eye steak and chicken. I eat salad and brocolli. I weigh everything and count calories which equal 2400-2500 per day.
I drink in excess of 10 16 oze glasses of water a day. I take atkins vitamins 3 per day.

I dont know what else to do...I could cut calories to 2000 or less butr I really want to do this forever and dont want to start a habit I will have a hard time maintaining over teh long term.

I read in atkins new book about hypothyroidism; he suggested taking your temperature 3 times per day is less than 97.7 you may have a problem. Mine was never more than 97.7 ranges from 96.6-97.7. After my fruit fast and during I actually measured at 98.6?

Where do I go from here? More carbs? less? more food? less? thyrodi medicine?

I open to anything. I appreciate your support
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-02, 01:48
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I would try two things. One is what we call Stillman or lean protein days. All you eat is lean protein. Chicken breasts, trimmed with no skin, turkey breast, egg whites, fat free broth etc. There is a modified version of it in our first Low-Carb Study Project here. The other is the Atkins Fat Fast, which has been slightly modified as well for the project. Atkins goes into more detail on the Fat Fast in DANDR.

Fat fast is kind of weird though, so I would try Stillman first. You could also incorporate two fat fast or two Stillman days or a combination of the two into your weekly regimen.

There is also a certain amount of "psychology" that goes along with weight loss. At certain points, we may simply not be ready to let go of the fat. It's something worth examining too.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-02, 21:18
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/blend
Stats: 250/210/150
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default its OK

well, You are doing so good not to cave in and go starchy.
you have lost 50 pounds. That is fantastic. and to keep it off no matter what, you can be really proud of all you have done so far. I have read that after a period of time the body needs to adjust. could be days, months, years. Relax. you are adding muscle with all your workouts and muscle weighs twice as much as fat.
drop the peanuts. switch to macadamias. do some stress relief. I know stress causes high sugar in diabetics, could be slowing you down. what about your clothes? getting loose in more places? fitting better? what about energy..sounds like you have a bunch. has it stayed at high levels? could you be working out with heavy weights too much? not giving your body time to recoup between workouts. it might be so busy building muscle and such its not metabolizing correctly. don't obsess. you will get there when the time is right for you..after all, you have the rest of your life to lose those last few pounds.
Jane
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 07:36
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 208.5/168/125
BF:
Progress: 49%

I too have hit a major stall. I lost 40-45 lbs within the first 8mos of low carbing, but for my height (5'1) I need to lose another 40 lbs, however, haven't had any significant weight loss since August. I've tried induction several times with no results. I'm in ketosis as the stick indicates "moderate". I cannot continue eating this way with no results. I am very very discouraged. I've been on induction since the first of the year and keep bouncing up and down on the scales between 2-3lbs. Does the body just reach a point where it says "no more!" ?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 10:24

Stats: 290/210/199 Male 6ft 1
BF:
Progress: 88%
Default Hello MDukes

I too have hit those stalls. Their sooo frustrating, I know how you feel.

I have found, when you stall for a while, 4-8 weeks or more, that this is a weight, on the way up, you were at for a long time. Yes, the body seems to remember and stops losing. (set-point) I wait it out and if nothing changes, no weight or measurement losses, I up the carbs a little for a day or two, then go right back on induction. Usually this mildly shocks the system to break the stall. I got stuck at 225-lbs for 2-months! Augh! Then finally, blew thur 8-10 lbs in a couple weeks.

So, give it a little time. I will happen for you.

Cheers, John
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 10:28

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

John's right, mdukes. If you go over everything you've been doing to make certain there haven't been any unintentional 'slips' (too many calories, not enough calories, stalling foods like LC bars, coffee, too many nuts etc) and you truly have plateaued out then it's time for a plateau buster.

Atkins discusses them in his book - there are a few. Fat Fast, Stillman days, A revesal diet. They are all inteded to shock the body and get things moving again. Check with your book - it may be just what you need now.

Nat
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 18:05
Registered Member

BF:
Default I never thought of that

John, I swear, you have so nailed this. I bet your body does remember. The numbers I get stuck at are numbers I have been at the longest. and I have even said to myself, I don't know how many frustrated times AGAIN....I am this AGAIN?? then I sweat it out awhile, it still doesn't move, and then the old "rationalizing" happens. well, I might as well eat bad, I am not losing anyway. you know what I mean? and in one simple explanation I GET IT. Thank you so much, you have really made a difference with this new mental weapon. I would love to lose a bit more before summer vacation. Hey, do you think you have to stay at the plataeu level for as long as you were at that weight? (PLEASE SAY NO!!! )
Jane
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 19:14

BF:
Post carbavoidr

No, you don't stay at that weight for the same amount of time. I "stalled" at 225 for close to 8-weeks myself. I believe I was at that weight for at least 2-3 years.

In the end, I upped the carbs to about 40-50 a day. (I've stayed at induction level since I began) A day or two at the higher level, lots of water too. Then right back on the 20 or less again. I don't know if this was the reason I finally broke thru the stall or not, but shortly after this, I started losing again. Did this a couple times with a week in between.

Just wait it out and don't go wild on the carbs, just at enough to shock the system a little, is my only advice.

Cheers, John
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 11:39

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 223/173/155-160
BF:
Progress:
Talking

I'm at a huge plateau also, I've pretty much stayed on the induction phase since I began in July. This is my thid plateau....I'm drinking more water again, but due to a hip injury I'm not exercising right now. Can the LC bars really stall you? I enjoy the EAS blueberry bars....I'd hate to give them up but if this could be a cause I most sertainly will! I live on buffalo wings and chicken salad, with salads thrown in....I could eat buffalo wings every day....should I cut down on them???
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 13:12
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks John, I always seem to stick at 200, and stay. but since I feel pretty good at that weight its not a big deal till I want to go on vacation and maybe drop a few more. then I find that after the first big drop of water and stuff at the beginning I drag. Now, though more than ever aging has shown me I need to get more serious about losing than this last year or so where I have been content to just maintain.
Jane
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 13:20
Registered Member

BF:

rklein
I am not sure for everyone, of course, but yes, the LC bars can be dangerous to weight loss for me. I think they do some mighty funny math to get those numbers. plus munching away on snacks is NOT learning how to eat correctly and healthy, you are in danger of trading one bad eating habit for another. ( did that)
NO food is unlimited. you can eat too much of the right kinds of food. are you eating the LC bars as a meal replacement or as a snack? and with the wings, are the sauce and spices low carb? cause even at 1 carb each wing you can add up a bunch of unseen ones. except for pure protein and pure fat almost everything else has some carb. it may say zero on the label but its not true. there is a thread somewhere read that explains hidden carbs and how carbs are counted on labels by law, it really interesting and teaches you a lot..does anyone have the link to that site? Jane
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 13:20

BF:
Post Hello Rklein

Most people have said the "bars" have more carbs than listed. (15-22) I too liked a few of the different types, but them up. I have one, maybe every 3-4 weeks now. Just for a quick treat or if I missed a meal, but not often.

I had a 3-day run on chicken wings, a couple weeks ago myself. I really enjoy them too. It's probably better to get a mixture of foods and veggys, than to live on wings. Not that I couldn't live on them myself! Had such a boost in energy that weekend too, maybe the wings, who knows.

Again, everybody is different. Try giving up the bars for a week or two and see what happens. More water is always a good thing.

Had a few stalls myself and I know what it's like. It's the worst. Stick with it, it will pass and you'll get going again.

Cheers, John
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 13:33
Registered Member

BF:

John,
How do they get away with saying thos bars are low carb then? some of that has to be processed by the body. a lot of things are like that. they say liquor is zero carbs..yes, technically, wondered why I was stalled one time and found out that alcohol while it has zero carbs is burned like sugar in the body. and is as much as 20 carbs ratio per shot. hmmm suddenly Jack Daniels wasn't my favorite guy any more. good luck on getting to your goal, you have come so far and I bet you have learned a bunch too. thanks for sharing
Jane
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 14:10

BF:
Post Hi Jane

The listings on the label : Some ingredients in the bars are not considered a "carb" per say. Thery are fillers and stuff like maltiod (sp?) that is technically not a "carb" but effects your insulin levels and glucose levels. I believe it's up to the FDA, for what is considered a "carb". I've heard their changing their tune recently from another post.

Quote:
wondered why I was stalled one time and found out that alcohol while it has zero carbs is burned like sugar in the body.

I don't know much about this, but there are very few drinks that are not, high in sugar. I've heard some folks saying a "lite" beer or two is ok from time to time. I'd check around a little on this one. I personally gave up drinking approx 3-1/2 years ago, so I've never researched it much.

Thanks for your comments on my path. I'm getting close to goal and the weight seems to be coming off more slowly now. I was getting used to having to buy new clothes all the time or tightening the belt. Now, not that I'm complaining, the clothes shopping has slowed / stopped.

Cheers, John
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 12:25
Registered Member

BF:
Default so right

I also read that the filler in splenda, asparteme, etc is only process 25% in your body, which is why they can say 0 carb. when I count them, I count them as 1. sigh, like its not hard enough with out having to deal with decet both un and intentional. I also have an issue with cost one some of these products. I personally never could get into the bars and meal replacement shakes and stuff...I like to eat too much I guess.
you bet getting this close to goal will cause a slow down, just imagine, you are NOT carrying that extra weight to burn those calories when you walk or breathe or anything, but I imagine with the muscle build up, you will even out and then begin to actually burn calories more efficiently. and HOW can you think of not shopping as a bonus!!!
jane