Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-29-02, 16:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/218/144
BF:48/42.3/22
Progress: 26%
Default Climbing Mount Doug

Day 12

Have been faithful every day to climb that mountain. Today I went higher than ever....got so high I could see the city, and the ocean...it was just beautiful. And the smell of the forest after a rain is so lovely....I got so high I could see Ray on the other side and waved to him...he was shocked...and later said he was worried he would have to come get me. ( It's that fear of hights.) But by golly I did it!!!!!!! I managed to take another trail down that was not so steep. When I got to the fork at the mid point I jogged almost all the way back...that is so funny...me jogging...my dad would roll over in his grave...he would never believe it...but then maybe his is helping me, getting me going. I did a lot of stretching today...It felt so good...I feel great!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-30-02, 09:42

Day 13

Today we plan on doing something different...we are going to take puppy to the swap meet and walk all around there...she loves the walk...then we are going to check out the trails at Theitis lake...

Feeling a bit sore after jogging yesterday...but it is a good sore...I think a little break from the big mountain will be good tho...give the muscles a day to rest.

I can't believe how much energy I have. I worked last night, and this morning still don't feel like sleeping....will probably get to bed early tonight tho...need my beauty sleep...hahaha
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-02, 09:40

Day 14

Did not go to Theitis...but went to the swap meet...then to Sidney market...spent about 4 hours walking...and stopping, and walking...So it was a good day.

This morning heading off to Theitis to check out the trails there...hope I get a bit of a challenge...will be heading to Beacon hill park this afternoon for Canada day Celebrations. Then will be back in town tonight for "Big Sugar" concert, and fireworks...This life sure beets the hell outta sittin' in front of the TV.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-02, 18:55

I did the trail at Theitis and loved it. I don't think R and puppy were quite as impressed...it was not near as challenging as Mount Doug...but would like to start doing it every other day...that way when I am finished the hike...(we could always go around twice too)...then I could go for a swim...that would be awesome...I love to swim...don't have a bathing suit...and will not buy one now...they cost a damn fortune when you have to buy from the fat lady store. But could just wear shorts and a T...I could carry a towel and change of clothes in a back pack too...that would probably burn more cals while walking...Well time to get my butt in gear...or I won't find a place to stand for the concert.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-02, 14:49

July 2

Went to Mount Doug today...Did not go as far as I went last time I was there...but I give myself credit...because I didn't want to go at all. Today is a sad day for me...I have been thinking about a lot of shit that has happened in my past...so I walked along time...I am glad I did it...I stayed mostly on flat ground...let R and Puppy go up...I just wanted to be by myself...and with god...and think...I felt a bit better after the walk...but still feel very blue...

Walked a good hour and fifteen mins...proud of that!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 20:16

July 3

Again today did not want to go...it was a battle from the minute I got up...that lazy side of my brains telling me it wasn't going. The other saying yes you are! The other side won...and we went. Hope tomorrow this arguing stops. I just want to get out there and do it. I can really notice a difference in myself...for the first time in years. And it is all due to the exercise. I will not stop doing this just because that lazy side of me is afraid of change. This is going to be the best damn life that I can make it...and that requires physical exercise.

I do hope that this struggle will subside soon.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-04-02, 19:04

July 4

Got lost trying to find Theitis turn off today...duh. Ended up on some back road with trails. Did about 1/2 hour, then had to head home to go to Dr Daves...yahoo...down another 5 lbs...I know it will not be a steady loss...but I think I can manage the ups and downs this time around...when I am not showing on the scale, I will just measure.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-05-02, 15:44

July 5

Went to mount doug...did my usual distance up...jogged back down...then walked the short trail...couldn't do as much today as I was very tired...did not sleep well yesterday...and working these grave shifts....ugh...I feel like they are killing me! Just a couple more months hopefully...then a different position is coming up...gawd...I hope I get it...would then be able to walk to work and home as well as all else.

Been thinking about starting weight training...wanted to wait until the fall, but may do it soon as I really don't like the look of my arms,,,and the fat does not seem to be coming off there much either...just a quarter inch at last check.

Begining to feel like I need to mix things up a bit...I think my body is adjusting to this exercise...so I would like to throw it for a loop again...It amazes me how well my body responded to the walking...imagine what some weights would do!!!

Perhaps will look into a gym membership...must find a place where I am comfortable tho...that could be tough...there is the womans only. Maybe there....it is close to mount doug...so altho it is a drive...If I can get to MD I could make it to the gym.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-06-02, 13:13

July 6

I got to the top of mount doug today....it was not easy....but I pushed and I pushed...I climbed for 5 mins...rested for 3.....climbed for 5.......rested for 3 ....etc.......it took me almost an hour to get there......but I did it......and told all the people that were standing on the look out that I had finally done it......everybody was smiling.....(kinda like....way to go... ya weirdo...lol).......I didn't care....man I was doing a happy dance and everything.....R gave me a big hug....I got tears in my eyes....I guess to some it is not that big a deal.......but for me....it was the ultimate......can't wait to do more....go farther.....push myself more....What a difference I can feel in my step.....my ass is not bouncing like it used to....it just feels tighter....I stand taller....shoulders are back....I have my head up....Oh I am just on cloud nine.....I wonder if others have ever felt this sense of accomplishment. I think this time IS different for me. I have never enjoyed exercise...but I am loving this...and the results I am getting are amazing...it doesn't even bother me that not a lot of people are noticing yet, because I notice it...I feel it...I can REALLY see a difference...

Thank you God for giving me the strength and motivation...and ability to get myself healthy...

This has been and will forever be a great day! I will never forget how I feel today!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jul-07-02, 16:55

July 7

Went to Theitis today...didn't feel like I should do MD after yesterday...the body was/is sore...so decided to give myself a bit of a break. Theitis is not too easy tho...Even there it is climbing and going down...etc....it is about a 40 min walk...and that was good for today. Went to the swap meet before that...and walked all around there...that took about an hour...then went to the car show and walked around there...so about 3 hours of easy walking with 40 mins of hard walking...I figure I did pretty good today.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jul-08-02, 17:45

July 8

Climbed to the top again today...and then spent over an hour coming down through different trails. It was awesome...total enjoyed myself today. I was sure tired going up tho...I wonder if I could be pushing myself too hard...but the more I do...the more I want to do.

Picked up some glutamine powder today...not sure what it is suppose to do for me...but I think that it helps with the aches and pains...and my muscles are sore...man..I can feel muscles that I didn't even know I had...

Stretching more and more too. I feel much better when I take a long time to stretch afterwards...I spend about 15 mins before I start the trek...and about 1/2 hour when I am done...I also make sure that I walk slower when I am getting close to the end so that I slow my body down...my cool down.

Anyhow...very pleased with the hiking...glad I have kept it up even on days when I didn't want to go. I think that maybe somewhere down the road I may be able to take the occassional day off...but for now it is important that I do it every day until it is ingrained in me that I want to do it.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-09-02, 14:03

July 9

Went to my half way point today...that was enough...I feel pretty sore...and wonder if I could be doing damage instead of good when I push too much...so just took it easy going up...and coming down. Glad I did....I think my muscles will love me for it.

While doing stretching afterwards I added some arm exercises as I really don't like the way they look...they are very big...and very weak...I could hardly do but 2 sets of 10 on three different exercises...and that was without weights...I am going to keep this up...build myself up to 3 sets of 15...then add some light weights...I think in past I would have just started with the weights, but this time I realize that this has to be for me...I am not in competition here with anyone...just working to better MY health...so if it takes a while to get things strengthened ...so be it!

All in all feel pretty good about today. Feeling like I am getting in tune with my body...letting it tell me what it needs. Today it kinda needed a rest.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-02, 23:46

July 10...Day 24

I didn't go to MD today. R went golfing, so puppy and I went for a walk down to Gorge park....I walked to the park...all along the park and back home. Stopped at the vet to see if Minnie had lost any weight, she was the same, but the vet thought she looked better...so same as us I guess...building muscle, losing fat...the vet said she could probably stand to lose about another pound then she would be just right. She does look much better...and more muscular...you can really see it in her hind legs...so this is working for both of us...

The walk took about 2 hours...and we both enjoyed ourselves...that is the most important thing.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jul-13-02, 20:31

July 13

Day before yesterday, July 11, I went to bed after walking with minnie, because I needed to sleep before work...I woke up around 6pm....and couldn't hardly walk...I was in some pretty intense pain. R gave me a massage, And I did some stretching...It helped a bit...but I was still in considerable pain...anyhow...managed to work...next day I could hardly move again, so went to the chiropractor...we discussed my hiking, and I admitted that I may have over done it a bit...that is why I chose to take a couple of days with easier walks...giving my muscles time to recover. He said that that was a good idea...he explained that my muscles were building And that my glutes and upper back muscles were fighting against each other...so my glutes were pulling down on my left side...and my upper muscles were pulling up on my right side...so I was off kilter...He gave me an adjustment...then we went over the stretches that I do...turns out that I did all the right stretches, but was lacking 2. And the ones I was lacking is what caused the problem...so I did learn a lesson there...seek professional help before starting an exercise routine.

Back was feeling somewhat better today, so R, puppy and I went to the doggy park...we walked to the end...then went down to the beach...walked back the beach and then up to car...it was a good walk....I worked up a sweat!
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jul-14-02, 05:54

Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%

Hey Anita, you've got a severe attack of the outdoor walking / hiking bug. Symtoms - great pleasure in being outside and active, even if it hurts a bit (ok a lot) at times. Side effects - fitter, happier and altogether more connected. Side effects on dogs - fitter, happier and very impressed with their humans.
Long term prognosis - terminal, the bug once caught rarely disappears and the outlook is extremely rosy. Chronic sufferers are unaffected by the weather and merely put on waterproofs / coats and continue to enjoy themselves.
Welcome to the club. I caught the bug as a kid and it keeps me sane (well, as sane as I have any intention of being!)
Enjoy the hills, Jay