Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 14:22

Plan: SBD + Exercise
Stats: 218/211/135 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 8%
Cool MissATC Makes the Move

Well, I've done it! I've decided to take the 12 week challenge of BFL, moderated with Atkins/PP.

History: Battled the bulge teens on. Kept fit through sports and activities. 5 years in the USMC continued to keep me fit despite my best efforts. Married in '89. Child #1 late '90, child #2 early '93. Ballooned up to 180 and 190 (had been staying around 140) for each kid. Using the Zone dropped from 160 back to 135-140, didn't last long.

After battling and losing my weight and bouts with depression, I started Atkins at the end of Feb/02. Gave myself two free days at four weeks, and another at 6 weeks, before realizing I was sabotaging my weight loss. No free days since!

Started exercising again 3 weeks ago. 40' PW 6x a week. The second week I began some light weight training; 3 UBWO and 3 LB toning and strengthening. Started early am work outs on empty tummy, after 1st week of walking.

I didn't take measurements at my all time high. My "barely can squeeze into" size 18 Levi's will serve as a constant reminder.
Thus far I have lost approximately 14 lbs, and I can actually bend over with my pants buttoned to tie my shoes-lol. Not a quick weight loss, but weight loss all the same.

Current: Tomorrow, DH and I go in to have our complete blood work done up including body fat%. We will also do our measurements in the am as a starting point for this challenge. DH has not committed to the 12 weeks. He plans to do 1-2 weeks and see how he feels. Fair enough, at least he is trying, and, yes, he has a fair amount of the access to shed as well.

I consider today through Su. my prep time. I have purchased protein drinks (lc), and glutamine. I should be ok with the other supplements. (maybe some day I will take the time to post them here). I did a LBWO this AM and learned A LOT! I had to go purchase some 10lb weights as the 5 and 8 weren't enough.
I have some concerns about an effective LBWO . We only have the weight bench and some dumbbells. Lunges/squats aren't doable for me (at least at this weight) due to week knees. The treadmill will work just fine for the cardio.

I am looking forward to joing the BBFL club!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 11:26

BF:

Just got back from getting my blood work done. How depressing! I don't know what I was expecting, I have't had the blood analyzed for 2 years. During those two years, I have not exercised (until 3 weeks ago), spent 6 months on anti-depressants and gained another 20 lbs. So I should not have been surprised to see all the results go the wrong direction. (The total cholestral was actually down 9pts-seemed like very little consolation. My body fat was worse than I thought it would be as well. I guess I've just been feeling so good lately that I wasn't thinking about the reality of years of bad eating habits on my bod. Oh, well. I am doing all the right things now and I look forward to seeing different results in 12 weeks!!

Here are the numbers:

WT: 198.5 BF%: 44% (87 lb) LBM: 56% (111 lb)

Total Cholesterol: 251mg/dl
HDL Cholesterol: 42mg/dl
TC/HDL Ratio: 5.9
Triglyceride: 282mg/dl
LDL Cholesterol: 152mg/dl

Very good 20MAS this AM-Treadmill at 4.0 elevation. Started at 2.5 MPH for my "5" went up by .2 each minute for a result of 3.5 MPH for my "10" The challenge was to maintain good posture and not lean over-arms are pumping!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-26-02, 09:48

BF:
Unhappy

Not much of a workout this AM. I realize on my first post I said I did a LBWO, it was actually an UBWO and I really enjoyed it! This AM I was do the LBWO. First, I inadvertently left my BFL book at work. No biggie, I would try Nat's link to exrx. Made it there but some of the excercises I had selected were not to be found, not even at the BFL site. I finally decided to just try out some of the excercises to see how my "Rice Krispi" (they snap,crackle, and pop under stress) knees would do. Unfortunately, they lived up to my expectations. I am really going need a new weight bench, one w/ leg workout extension, to do my quads any good. I will BFL the few weight exercises I can do and add some inner/outer thigh exercises, as well as some back side toners to the program. Gotta do what works for me, right? I also like the idea of adding my ab. workout to my 20mas.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 08:37

BF:

Great 20MAS this am. Had to get up at 0500 to get it in and still get to work by 0630. My body felt a little sluggish the first half of the workout, but by the end, was wide awake! Only got about 6 hours sleep last night. Went to bed at 2130, just couldn't sleep. Had some heart palpatations-hope those don't stay around long.

Started at 2.5 MPH for 1 & 2 (elev. 4.0)
2.7 MPH for 3
2.9 MPH for 4
3.1 MPH for 5
3.3 MPH for 6
repeated until 19 went to 3.5 MPH at elev. 4.5

Felt like I hit my numbers right and kept good form.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-28-02, 07:42

BF:
Smile Today is a Free Day

Tomorrow is C1W1D1! Yahoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will I still be saying this for C1W2 D1 ?
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-28-02, 09:34

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

KT, you bet you will! Every week brings new discoveries and excitement. I cannot stress enough how powerful and self confident you feel when you being something like this. And it just gets stronger and stronger!

Nat
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-29-02, 10:49

BF:
Smile C1D1W1

Got up on time this AM (0610). Started UBWO ~ 0630, finished ~ 0730. Took 14' min. longer than suppose to, but did two exercises that are 1 arm at a time, and was very focused on form.

Here is the UBWO I plan to use for the 1st 4 weeks. When weight is added, I will make a note of it. All reps are completed unless otherwise noted.

CHEST:
DB Bench Press: 8#
10#
15#
15#
20#
DB Flyes 10#

Shoulders:
Seated DB Press: 5#
8#
10#
10#
10#
Side Raises: 5#

Back:
1 Arm DB Rowes: 8#
10#
10#
10# (will up to 15#)
15#
DB Pullover: 10# (will up to 15#)

Triceps:
DB Exten. Kickback: 3#
5#
5#
8#
5#
Bench Dips: -

Biceps:
Incline DB Curls: 5#
8#
10#
10# (will up this to 15#)
15#
Hammer Curls: 8# (will up this to 10#)

The workout felt really good! Made a couple of notes, as I found myself a touch low on two exercises. Also, need to work on form for "Bench Dips" as my wrists felt like they had as much of a workout as my triceps-ow!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 10:26

BF:
Thumbs up C1W1D2

Feel great this AM. Arms a bit sore, and feel it in my back as well. Nothing too bad though, I guess that glutamine is working!!

20'MAS followed by ABs. The 20'MAS same as posted previously, except upped the elevation to 5.0 for my 10.

Abs routine: followed the reps for the abs on LBWO and did normal situps, except used wt. bench and decline settings as follows:
HIIT5: #2 decline
HIIT6: #3 "
" 7: #3 "
" 8: #4 " (not good form at all)
" 9: #3
" 10:#3

I need to put some more thought into this. I have little to no ab muscle and don't want to strain my neck as I have done in the past. I just need to be patient, and find some exercises that will really work the muscle w/o causing poor form.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-01-02, 09:46

BF:
Default C1W1D3

LBWO this AM

Needs lots of improvement here.

Quads: step up to bench, it felt like some work, but didn't really feel it in the muscles. Used the following weights:
10#
15#
20#
25#
20#
20# (I finally started to feel this set, but my arms were almost as tired!)

Hamstrings: Straight leg deadlifts:
10#
15#
20#
25#
20#
15#
This I feel in my lower back more than my hamstrings. I do need to strengthen my LB, so probably will keep this one.

Calves: Angled calf raises
10#
15#
20#
25#
25#
25#
Got up to a "9", but again my arms felt very tired, and this is the highest we have in wts. right now.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-01-02, 09:52

BF:

KT, just start off with regular floor crunches for your Abs. Crunches place less strain than sit ups and they are much more effective for abdominal work. Do you have the most recent edition of Muscle Media Magazine - it's a Training Guide ? They have some great tips for doing all workouts - including abs.

It's important when you do crunches that you squeeze your hamstrings and glutes, taking the hip flexors out of the equation - this isolates the abs and makes them work harder. The motion should be tight and controlled - you are trying to squeeze yourself together, not lift yourself up. You raise yourself to shoulder blades only. Breathing is also very important, as is keeping tension on the abs at all times.

Abs respond best to low reps with heavy weight - they are mostly fast twitch muscle fibers. Go as slow as you can, but don't be afraid to mix it up - slow one set, faster another, slow again, etc. If you feel up to it, you can hold a plate to your chest to increase resistance, but to be honest, I haven't found I need that - yet. I'm still getting a good workout w/o the added weight.

HTH
Nat
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-01-02, 09:58

BF:
Default Re LBWO

KT, just saw your last post. I was speaking with Muse last night and she said pretty much the same thing you did this morning - new exercises for her meant she didnt hit her 10s and she didnt think she'd done herself any good (she's singing a very different tune this morning ). Often with LBWO it takes a good 24-36 hours before you 'feel' it.

With deadlift and step ups, I would be very surprized if you were not feeling this workout tomorrow.

Deadlift will be felt in the lower back, hammies and glutes. Check out the general exercise forum for a thread called "Deadlifts" - theres some good information in there on how to make sure you're doing them with correct form.

And here's a great link for demos of how to perform certain moves - I thought it might come in handy Fitsite

Nat
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-02-02, 09:48

BF:
Thumbs up C1W1D4

Another great 20'MAS, followed by abs.
Moved the elevation to 5, to hit my nines, and to 6 for my 10. My 2.7mph no longer feels like a six, so will have to move that up as well. Sat. AM should be a doosy!

Abs: did simple crunches for all sets except last one, inwhich I did the bent knee leg raises. I could feel them, but still can't get my shoulder blades off the floor. I feel I need to go up just a touch more, maybe in a few weeks when they are a bit stronger.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-03-02, 05:39

Plan: BFL with SP
Stats: 167/158.5/150 Female 63ins
BF:31/26/20
Progress: 50%

Good to see you are doing so well! Every bit of my body has hurt at some time or another, except the abs and like you, I have no ab muscles and desparately need to get some as my tummy sticks out a mile. Will be following Nat's advice too.

We're nearly at the end of the first week, just got HIIT tomorrow. Well done and more power to us.... Here's to week 2.

Judy
  #14   ^
Old Fri, May-03-02, 15:31

BF:
Default C1W1D5

Ahhhhh, finally, a chance to get my journaling done! Up at 0530 for UBWO, then to work by 0800.

Changes for UBWO:

Chest: same
Shoulders: same
Back:
-8#,10#,10#, 15#(up from 10#), 15#, 10#
Triceps: same
Biceps: same

After reviewing my intensity levels, I will be adding some weight to all my UP exercises next week. I hit "10s" in all areas except triceps, but the build-up sets aren't quite where they should be.

Thank-you Judy and Nat for your visits and encouraging words. I am hoping to find a copy of Muscle Media you mentioned, Nat, for some break time reading at work tomorrow.

20'MAS tomorrow and week 1 will be done!
  #15   ^
Old Sat, May-04-02, 08:28

BF:
Default C1W1D6

Week 1 is done!! Had a great 20'MAS this am, before work. Hit my 10 at 6.0E & 3.5 MPH. Also worked on abs, really felt them this morning!! Week two here I come!!