Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-13, 14:51
Clueless. ODAAT.

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 290.6/290.6/180 Female 5'10"
BF:I do not care!
Progress: 0%

Girly, thanks for the j. visit. Come back and tell us how you are doing instead of just doing hit-and-runs on the rest of us!
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-14, 11:37
Clueless. ODAAT.

I'm glad to hear you are back and on track. Let's talk more!
  #78   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-14, 20:53

Plan: SBR/Atkins
Stats: 154/135.5/130 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 77%

yay honeypie!!! I was thinking about you today! (creepy? hope not! Miss ya!)
  #79   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-14, 11:05
Clueless. ODAAT.

So, didn't you used to have this fabulous meatball recipe that you swore by as the best crave buster ever? I can't find it. Do you still have it??
  #80   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-14, 14:24

Plan: Atkins variation
Stats: 167.5/151.5/132 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Believe it or not, HP, I've also been thinking of you. You made a few posts with content that has stuck in my mind, and it keeps coming back to me! Come back!
  #81   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-14, 11:24

Plan: M-F vlc, looser LC wkends
Stats: 353.6/260.8/165 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 49%

This is what my friend posted on FB:

xxx shared Marley's Mutts Dog Rescue's photo.

So difficult. Dog friends, do you know of any rescues or individuals who might want this mastiff? He is in Mojave, he is only a year old, and he has a bite history. He bit a little girl - I don't know the circumstances surrounding the bite - so he needs to go to someone who can supervise him until a comfort level is achieved.

I just hate to see dogs languish (or euthanized) because of one bite. That is the only way they know how to communicate that they need space, are frustrated, are overwhelmed, are fearful, are protecting you against a threat, are mad, etc. Especially a young, big dog who didn't know better and may not have intended to do harm.

Know that I say that as a person who was bitten in the face as a three-year-old child by the family dog. Right after I stuck my head between his mouth and the food dish to see where the kibble went when he ate it. In the same room as my mom, who didn't see me do this behind her while she did dishes at the sink. No one was to blame, not even the dog. Well, actually, I was to blame for sticking my head where it didn't belong (no comments from the peanut gallery). The hospital emergency room was required to report the dog bite to Animal Control, but Mom would not let AC take the dog, because she understood that it was an anomaly. That may be the case with this dog, as well.

Now that I think about it, I bit a kid in play group as a child. (Knowing me, I probably meant to hurt him. However, he was the one ejected from the group because the other mothers thought he was a brat who probably did something to instigate.) Fortunately, my parents decided to keep me, because God only knows how long it would have taken for a kid with a bite history to be adopted. Just think what those potential adopters would have missed out on!

I have also been bitten by dogs several times as an adult. Once breaking up a dog fight at work, once because I touched a Husky on the sensitive part of his neck (which the owner failed to mention was an issue), once by my parents' recently rescued and previously abused dog when I stuck my toe through the dog door to see if it was open (that dog loved me, and went on to sleep next to my bed every night in his later years, but if I tried to pick him up he would snap at me until his last day), and so on. I wouldn't euthanize any of the dogs that have bitten me. They have all been wonderful pets, adored by their parents, reacting to particular situations in the only way they knew how. However, I don't know that they would be "adoptable" if they had to go back on the market because of their bite histories.

Some dogs are dangerous and should not be in particular environments. Some dogs can't be around other dogs, some can't be around kids. I don't let my Mikey around my very active little niece because he can't handle the stimulation and I don't want to take the chance that he will nip her. Junie was put up for adoption because she growled at the new baby in the house when the baby wouldn't stop crying. They are the greatest dogs in the world when they are in their comfort zone, and I recognize that and do my best to keep them away from stimulants and situations that don't suit them. That may be the case with this dog, as well.

One bite doesn't mean all bad. It may just mean that a dog has a particular temperament that isn't one-size-fits-all. Unfortunately, however, a bite history almost always means death. Rescues often won't take a dog with a bite history because it opens them up to legal liability if they adopt out the dog and it bites again. Most rescues couldn't survive the financial blow that would inflict. Kill shelters will euthanize almost instantly in cases with a bite history, and no-kill shelters often have to euthanize dogs with bite histories because they languish in their kennels or, again, are a liability.

This has been on my mind the last few days for a variety of reasons. So, thanks, Facebook, for letting me ramble about it. Long story short: please don't rule out a dog because of a bite history if you are considering adopting, and don't assume that a rescue will step in where you could. Please learn the specifics. Maybe your adults-only home is perfect for that dog that bit a kid. Maybe your family home teaming with kids is perfect for that protective dog that bit the unknown painting contractor who came in the front door toward Mom a little too fast while Dad was away. You might find the best dog you ever had if the circumstances are right and you fit each other. I did.

Last edited by honeypie : Sat, Jul-29-17 at 07:52.
  #82   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-14, 11:25

Plan: M-F vlc, looser LC wkends
Stats: 353.6/260.8/165 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 49%

This is the Mastiff puppy, and the rescue's page that she was referencing:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...&type=1&theater
  #83   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-14, 08:01
Induction ≠ Atkins

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/164/180 Female 69 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 118%

I see where you are hiding out! *glare*

I'll reach out to all my peeps in rescue and see what i might be able to find on the puppy
  #84   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-14, 20:23
Clueless. ODAAT.

Hey, lady - how are you doing? Haven't seen you on here or FB!
  #85   ^
Old Sat, May-03-14, 19:00
Clueless. ODAAT.

Woot - glad to see you in my journal and congrats on Day 3!
  #86   ^
Old Tue, May-06-14, 14:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/200/175 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 55%

Thanks for the stop by and the advice! Perhaps that was totally it. I kept vacillating between “OMG! I JUST WENT CRAZY FOR NO REASON” and “well, maybe I should listen to my body and its choice to eat intuitively for a good reason.” Strangely, I do feel a bit better today too. Also, thinking back to the last time I LCed, when I started working out I also started adding 1 fruit (usually pineapple) and cottage cheese meal in the morning and it worked nicely for me. Hmmmm, something to think on! Thanks! That helps a lot—you do know your stuff!
  #87   ^
Old Thu, May-08-14, 20:17

Plan: LCHF, IF
Stats: 265/205/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 46%

No, I don't know where or how she is. She had some health problems.

Meg
  #88   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-14, 14:23
Clueless. ODAAT.

Saw this in Amory's journal:
Quote:
Protein powder is like the secret lc diet killer, hidden away and looking so innocuous, that no one even realizes it was the culprit,.. until possibly years later. And a LOT of hair pulling and general suffering because of it.

Really? REALLY? Because I have used a lot of protein powder stuff in the last year because it was an easy way to get a concentrated amount of protein in a small serving because of my smaller tummy.

And my weight loss has slowed, though I've been very 'good' on my eating - yet I'm still using protein powder.

Hmmm.. something for me to think about. Thanks for the info.