Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-24-17, 07:59

Plan: ≤ 20 carbs & IF
Stats: 292/235/170 Male 72 Inches
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Somogyi Effect with Type II Diabetes?

Most of the info I am finding online regarding the "Somogyi Effect" relates to Type I diabetes and people who take insulin.

Even before I started my low carb diet, I noticed that my BG was often at or near its highest in the morning when I woke up. I tried some of the tests I found online and discovered that my BG as at or near its lowest around 3am, so my BG is going up between 3am and 7am. From what I have read this is the main characteristic of the Somogyi effect.

I've been trying to avoid eating anything after 8pm but the only suggestion I have found is to try a low carb snack before bedtime, so last night I ate a salad before bed and it didn't help.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has had this problem or has other suggestions on how to deal with it.

Bill
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-24-17, 09:13

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

May also be the Dawn Phenomenon, esp in a T2.
75% have it, And it is a normal hormonal response.

This whole article is very good and explains both:

https://intensivedietarymanagement....enomenon-t2d-8/

DP:

Quote:
Dawn Phenomenon

The Dawn Effect, sometimes also called the Dawn Phenomenon (DP) was first described about 30 years ago. It is estimated to occur in up to 75% of T2D patients although severity varies widely. It occurs both in those treated with insulin and those that are not. The circadian rhythm creates this DP. Just before awakening (around 4am), the body secretes higher levels of Growth Hormone, cortisol, glucagon and adrenalin. Together, these are called the counter-regulatory hormones. That is, they counter the blood sugar lowering effects of insulin, meaning that they raise blood sugars. The nocturnal surge of growth hormone is considered the primary cause of the DP. These normal circadian hormonal increases prepare our bodies for the day ahead. That is, glucagon tells the liver to start pushing out some glucose. Adrenalin gives our bodies some energy. Growth hormone is involved in repair and new synthesis of protein. Cortisol, the stress hormone increases as a general activator. After all, we are never quite so relaxed as deep sleep. So these hormones gently get us ready to wake up. A good ol’ fashioned hormonal kick in the ass, so to speak. Hormones are secreted in a pulsatile manner peaking in the early morning hours then falling to low levels during the day.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-24-17, 09:32

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
May also be the Dawn Phenomenon, esp in a T2.
75% have it, And it is a normal hormonal response.

I also found a few articles like this one that says:

"If your blood glucose is low when you check it at 2:00 a.m., it’s likely the Somogyi effect. If it’s normal or high at 2:00 a.m., it’s likely the dawn phenomenon."

http://www.healthline.com/health/di...-and-diagnosis4

Anyway, should I just ignore this then or is there something I can do about it?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-24-17, 11:16

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

You've only been at this a few weeks. Don't get ahead of yourself. Your body is adjusting to your new way of eating. Give things time, try to be patient. Not only can't you fix everything all at once, you can't even know where things will settle when the dust has cleared so you don't know what if anything will need fixing. You've been so successful so far so just keep doing what you're doing. There will be time to tweak things later. Somogyi vs dawn phenomenon, doesn't much matter right now. You're doing great.

Jean
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-24-17, 11:31

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Getting up at 2:00 a.m. to measure your BG also interferes with your sleep, which is more important to health and weightloss.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-24-17, 12:31

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
Getting up at 2:00 a.m. to measure your BG also interferes with your sleep, which is more important to health and weightloss.

Before I started on this diet I was getting up 4 or 5 times a night to pee. It's gotten better, but I still wake up at least once, usually around 2:30-3am - you know what they say... when ya gota go you gota go!