Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-02, 11:48

Plan: WebMD w/LC choices
Stats: 322/297/199 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 20%
Unhappy Dry skin

Since starting Atkins on 9/16/02, I've noticed that my skins seems to be a lot dryer overall. Now, I have really bad dry spots that just won't seem to go away. I've looked at all aspects of my everyday living, and the only things that I've changes are starting the LC WOL and adding vitamins and supplements to my daily regimen.

Anyone else have this problem? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm at my wits end with the itching and constant lathering of lotion!

Thanks-
Nikki
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-02, 19:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hello Nikki and welcome. I have been on LC for about 4 years and have had times when my skin feels dry. The main thing to do is drink lots of water every day - about 2 to 3 liters or quarts. This way of eating is a natural diuretic so we have to drink water to replenish the stuff that leaves. And it is water that keeps your skin cells plump and smooth.

If you are eating enough fat and oil in your diet, that will help with the appearance of your skin too, keeping it supple and glowing.

I use lotion and creams, adding extra at times when I am especially dry. I did find that the dryness passed. How about going up to the top of the page to the little "world" picture and clicking on Search. You can search for "dry skin" and see what else has been said here. If you click on "show as posts", you won't have to read through the whole thread.

Hope this helps.

#3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-02, 03:54

Stats: 170/166/130 Female 5' 3.5"
BF:
Progress: 10%

My problems with dry skin have gradually increased every year. I had hoped that this year would be better because of all the water I drink, but it hasn't happened as well as I'd like!
Last year, I started a regimen that was very helpful and I've started again this year as soon as the temp dropped!
If possible, shower every other day, and ALWAYS use lotion after every shower! I use an unscented lotion from St Ives and had great success all last winter. Just get it on everywhere! I keep a bottle in the bathroom, another by my bed, one in the kitchen and another at work!
It helps, it really does!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-02, 08:16

Plan: WebMD w/LC choices
Stats: 322/297/199 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 20%
Thanks for the replies Barb & Deb!

It has gotten better over the past few weeks, but I'm still dryer than usual. I feel I'll end up floating away if I up my water intake any more since my daily intake usually totals just below a gallon as it is. I have olive oil as often as I can and I do lotion up after showering. I even try to take cooler than normal showers so that I don't dry out even more from the hot water. I know this cold Chicago/NW Indiana weather can't be helping!

I'll do some searches to see what I can find regarding dry skin.

Thanks again for the responses and suggestions!

Nikki
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-02, 09:23

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Unhappy Dry skin here too!

I have that problem too. It's especially noticeable with my hands. I've wondered if this is due to LC or what. I drink plenty of water, but when I notice being dry, I drink some more. I think cutting down on my coffee intake would help. Thanks for bringing this up. I'm going to do a search on dry skin as well. Victoria
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-02, 07:27
Registered Member

Plan: Shoogadownsizing!
Stats: 205/145/150 Female 5'4"
BF:F/C/C
Progress: 109%

One thing I have found that really helps prevent dry skin is baby oil. After a bath or shower before I reach for a towel I reach for my baby oil. I slather it all over from my shoulders down while I'm still wet. I have done this for years. I also use baby oil as a make up remover. I try to remember to use hand lotion after I wash my hands because some soaps can be very drying.
asugar
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-02, 07:42

BF:

I know many people swear by baby oil. I've got to be the only person I know who can't stand the way it feels on my skin! So, I get to buy the more expensive lotions... At least the St Ives brand works very well and costs less than others!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-02, 08:34

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default GLA

Just a suggestion, but have any of you considered taking GLA (Gamma-Linolenic Acid - a great source of Omega-6 fats) supplements?

One of the best sources is Oil of Evening Primrose - but make sure that when you get it you look for the GLA content per capsule not the Evening Primrose content. You need a dosage of between 300-500mg.

I was originally prescribed it for PMS and breast tenderness. I now find that that I'm symptom-free (helped also I suspect by a low carb woe). However, it is also really beneficial for skin, hair and nails.

I have always suffered from dry skin and split brittle nails, since taking GLA my skin is smooth and supple and my nails are strong.

Demi
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-02, 13:51

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 135/108/107
BF:?
Progress: 96%
Default Me Too

I've had dry skin since I started eating low-carb. Lately a few rough patches, you may want to try Coconut oil or MSM Lotion, they've helped me alot.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-02, 15:15

BF:

Can you tell me what MSM lotion is? I'm dying of curiosity!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-02, 15:48

Default MSM

MSM is wonderful. I take 2000mg a day. They also make a great lotion. It has so many internal & external benefits. It's been great for my skin & hair.MSM Info-http://www.a1msm.co.uk/003/006_patents_health_benefits_methylsulfonylmethane_msm.htm

http://www.health-pages.com/pain/ms.html
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-02, 15:54

Smile MSM

Hey, sorry screwed that last one up. I'm new to this forum. Anyways, it's wonderful my skin completely cleared up & it's so soft.

Those links again

http://www.a1msm.co.uk/003/006_pate...methane_msm.htm

http://www.health-pages.com/pain/ms.html
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-02, 16:11
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default my 2 cents

I have been told that lotions containing mineral oil do not penetrate the skin well. If you look on the labels most lotions list this as one of the first ingredients. It has been my experience that Curel works wonders and it doesn't contain mineral oil.