Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Breakfast Ideas
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, May-20-13, 10:31
Triple digit loss

Plan: Dr. Bernstien
Stats: 352/206.8/175 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 82%

Does anyone have recipes for Sour Cream? Or Ranch?

I tried a toffuti product for Sour Cream and regretted it bad physical reaction. Must have been the Soy.

So I am on the hunt for Heavy Cream, Whip Cream, Sour Cream, Cream Cheese and Ranch.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, May-21-13, 03:40

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Here's a sour cream to start: http://paleotable.com/2012/11/paleo-sour-cream/. For whipped cream, I just use the coconut cream mentioned earlier in this thread. Once you make your own mayonaise, any creamy dressing can be made. Mel has some good ones: http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.co...recipes/sauces/

Google is your friend when looking for substitute recipes. Just type in Paleo Whatever and a number of recipes will pop up to consider.
I am always amazed how many new Paleo Recipe websites appear each day.
Yesterday, I stumbled on a beautiful one following a Biscuit link:
http://zenbellyblog.com/2013/03/21/rainy-day-biscuits/
I'm in awe of the time and talent people have to create beautifully photographed websites...and happily gather up the free tips.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, May-21-13 at 04:01.
  #33   ^
Old Tue, May-21-13, 08:25
Triple digit loss

Plan: Dr. Bernstien
Stats: 352/206.8/175 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 82%

Hey Janet,

I appreciate you taking the time to answer, it is greatly appreciate

Thanks for the links I will try them.

Google is my friend and enemy. After spending days upon days searching for various recipes. It gets my hopes up and then dashes them.

Just like those delicious looking biscuits you kindly gave me a link to. Look oh so good. Then you do the count. 21 carbs per serving. Suck. Hopes dashed again that leads to frustration

One time I was looking for Italian dressing you know how much sugar type substance people put into it? Tons. Luckily I found Kens Steak house Italian dressing. No sugar whatsoever. 0 carbs. And no soybean oil.

Problem I was having with sour cream and ranch was they wanted Mayo. Off shelf Mayo has soybean oil in it.

I am slowly realizing I might have to make everything from scratch including accomendents (sp?)

And so far with all my hours of searching and trying recipes I don't have much to show for it.

I will try to make the mayo this weekend from the site you gave.

Again thanks so much
  #34   ^
Old Tue, May-21-13, 08:36
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Yesterday, I stumbled on a beautiful one following a Biscuit link:
http://zenbellyblog.com/2013/03/21/rainy-day-biscuits/
I'm in awe of the time and talent people have to create beautifully photographed websites...and happily gather up the free tips.

Oh man 3/4 cup of arrowroot is gonna be carby. It is about the same as cornstarch in carbs.

http://healthyindulgences.net/ has a great biscuit recipe without arrowroot. I've made them several times and they're awesome.
http://healthyindulgences.net/2008/...-free-biscuits/

Also, they posted a biscuit recipe on Wheat Belly this week.

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2013/...-and-dumplings/

The biscuits are an ingredient the chicken and dumplings.

I also got this book and have only made one thing: Cajun Dinner rolls. They're amazing.

http://www.amazon.com/Joy-Gluten-Fr...free+sugar+free
  #35   ^
Old Wed, May-22-13, 03:12

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Making your own mayo is essential. I had been avoiding soybean oil before low carb, so finding the recipe with one whole egg so no waste and light tasting olive oil was key. Then it just became part of my routine. All the coconut cream substitutes are new to me, but pretty easy and tasty.
That biscuit is carby, but the website had some other sauce recipes and is written by a chef. We are doing a little 'real food' Paleo group so when searching for substitutes, carb count sometimes is second to finding a recipe acceptable taste wise to a family. I love the WheatBelly and Peter Reinhardt book too. Know I copied the Cajun roll recipe, will try it, thanks.

Ps: Mel's homemade ranch is good, but easier, take the homemade mayo and add a package of the dry ranch seasoning mix. I thin it with a little buttermilk (have the dry mix for recipes) but maybe coconut milk would work? Going on the theory the tiny amount of funky stuff in the mix isn't too bad.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, May-22-13 at 03:18.
  #36   ^
Old Wed, May-22-13, 17:34
Registered Member

Plan: Eat Fat Lose Fat
Stats: 125/120/110 Male 62"
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Coffee

This sounds just wonderful.. Thanks
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Jun-03-13, 20:55

Plan: Keto
Stats: 148/146/133 Female 5'4
BF:36%/23/?
Progress: 13%

Sounds terrific! I bet some fresh nutmeg would be nice too
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Jun-03-13, 21:28
Experimenter

BF:

I can also recommend adding caramel flavored syrup (sugar free, of course).
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-13, 05:58
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Wow, this is, as Nancy said, a keeper.

I get burned out on the taste of coconut in my coffee, but I find this to be minimally coconutty. I guess the egg and vanilla take care of that.

I used Mr Gouda's coconut milk and put the can in the fridge. I used only the thick cream on top.
  #40   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-13, 09:42
Experimenter

BF:

I just made a fresh batch, myself. Coconut cream, 2 whole eggs and half a tsp of stevia. Quite lovely!
  #41   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-13, 12:49
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

How long does this last before spoiling? I find coconut milk/cream spoils very quickly .. 2 days at best.

Can it be frozen .. or more importantly, does it hold up when thawed or does it separate?
  #42   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-13, 13:32
Experimenter

BF:

I've had it in the fridge for 4 days or so, but I do use it up pretty quickly.

I've never had milk/cream spoil that quickly. Cream generally keeps a week or two for me. You might want to get a thermometer and make sure your fridge is at or below 40'.

I doubt the raw egg would be very nice after freezing, but the only way to know is to try!
  #43   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-13, 14:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 315/315/240 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Non dairy creamer - Nancy!

I think it was your recipe I copied, but I can't find it by search. I finally found some coconut cream, but the recipe I copied says "1 can" and then egg and sweetner. How much is in the size of can you use? I've got a fairly large jar here. Also - I assume because of the egg it needs to be kept in the fridge. How long does it keep?
  #44   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-13, 14:15
Experimenter

BF:

14 oz can is what I used.

Yup, refrigeration is necessary. I'd imagine at least a week. Mine doesn't last that long because I use it up!
  #45   ^
Old Sun, Jun-09-13, 07:53
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
]I've never had milk/cream spoil that quickly. Cream generally keeps a week or two for me. You might want to get a thermometer and make sure your fridge is at or below 40'.

That's a good tip , so I checked the temperature .. it's below 4° C (40 F), so certainly safe. Any other perishable food seems to keep for a reasonable time .. regular dairy cream, boiled eggs, leftovers .. meats. I've just never been able to keep leftover canned coconut milk/cream for longer than 2 - 3 days before it starts to go sour.

I don't store the leftover coconut milk/cream in the can .. I pour it into a clean glass storage jar with lid. I never store leftover food -- including cat food -- in the can!

Plain coconut milk freezes/thaws with okay results. It definitely separates on thawing, but easily blended back to a creamy consistency. Maybe I'll try making just half a recipe, and see how it goes.