Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-08, 08:17

Plan: Southbeach
Stats: 220/216.5/180 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default Cheat days on phase 1?

Hello, I am in the first phase (day 5 actually) and am going out for dinner and a movie tonight. I can adjust the dinner food, but can I have some popcorn at the movie as a treat? Does anyone ever cheat?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-08, 08:27

Plan: Bariatric Surgery/S.Beach
Stats: 280/143/145 Female 5ft 3 inches
BF:way/2/much
Progress: 101%

I'd have to say its a personal choice.

Phase 1 is designed to start you on the path of better eating.
It could start cravings for other carbs.

Do I have treats of course I do.....now
But I tried to keep phase 1 as clean as I could. I was a real carb addict and hard time with craving. And even now when I have treats I have to becareful to watch for cravings that might start.

So like I said it would be your choice as to what you do now.
If you treat yourself, try and drink extra water as you could have a gain just from the salt. Then after you have your treat keep your meals as clean/on plan as you can.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-08, 08:50
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 292/207/200 Male 6'1
BF:
Progress: 92%

I agree 100% with Skippie. It is a personal choice.

A clean phase I is more than the introduction to a diet! My clean phase I made me realize that my lifestyle change was concrete and something I was willing to practice even in the face of temptation

Have a great time....no matter what you eat!

Jason
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-08, 09:14

Plan: South Beach/WW
Stats: 287/198/180 Female 70"
BF:
Progress: 83%

IMO a clean phase 1 is CRUCIAL. Meaning do not deviate from the plan...i.e., no cheating.

If you can't do it for 2 weeks, how do you expect to be able to do it for the rest of your life?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-08, 09:16

BF:

P. S. Movie popcorn is a HORRIBLE cheat...they pop it in palm kernal oil or something....it's FULL of unhealthy fats.

Edited to add link to nutritional information about the kids' size of movie theatre popcorn:
http://www.dietfacts.com/html/nutri...t-oil-23642.htm

5 cups has 37 grams of fat, 22 of which are saturated. Not good for SB!

I have treated from time to time with it, but not until you are well on your way...meaning, don't cheat too early or you are way more likely to lose control and fall off the wagon.

When you are in p2, Smart Balance microwave popcorn is OK, 3 c is a serving. Or you can pop your own in canola or olive oil.

YMMV. I am not trying to be mean, just helpful. Sorry if it came across as too blunt. IMO not cheating in p1 is critical.

Last edited by LegalBeag : Fri, Feb-01-08 at 09:21.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-08, 09:27
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalBeag
P. S. Movie popcorn is a HORRIBLE cheat...they pop it in palm kernal oil or something....it's FULL of unhealthy fats.

I have treated from time to time with it, but not until you are well on your way...meaning, don't cheat too early or you are way more likely to lose control and fall off the wagon.

YMMV. I am not trying to be mean, just helpful. Sorry if it came across as too blunt. IMO not cheating in p1 is critical.

I am in 100% agreement with no cheating in phase I. Not only for the damage you are doing to your blood sugar, which is what the whole point of doing this for 2 weeks consistently is all about....but psychologically as well...it is a key aspect to seeing this through, knowing that you did complete phase I...perfect! It makes an impact!

I had bad withdrawal as I had been immersed in eating refined carbs and very little else for many years. I kept eating fruit to help myself feel better...it didn't work....but I finally got to the point where I felt well enough to make it through my 2 weeks perfect and it was good that I did do that as it enabled me to see and feel that I could do this.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-08, 10:18

Plan: Southbeach
Stats: 220/216.5/180 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

Ok, thanks everyone. I think after reading all your responses I will stay clean for the first phase, only one week left thank goodness!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-08, 10:28

BF:

You won't EVER be sorry! Think of it as a gift you give to yourself to get yourself well on the way to a new way of life!!!

Take snacks with you to the movies...cut up veggies to munch on, a serving of nuts, a cheese stick. You don't have to be the only one there not eating! No one will notice in the dark! Treat yourself to a large diet drink and call it good! You will be so proud of yourself afterwards, and you won't have to deal with any carby cheat induced cravings! Best of luck to you! You can do it!!!!!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-08, 10:41
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach/Candida
Stats: 172/159/140 Female 5 feet, 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

It's tempting to cheat, but don't even let yourself start. I cheated during my first week with a full blown mexican dinner and totally regret it. I had pretty bad carb withdrawl the first few days and had to go through it all over again. I'm in week 2 now and thought I could have just a bite of my boyfriend's chinese food last night (litterally 1 bite). It set me off wanting more the rest of the night. I didn't let myself, but I highly recommend not even putting yourself through it. You'll have days where you're going to want to cave, but try to just sip on a drink or eat a veggie and go to bed early those days. It will pass.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-08, 12:26
Registered Member

Plan: sbd only
Stats: 293/214/176 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:WTM
Progress: 68%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalBeag
IMO a clean phase 1 is CRUCIAL. Meaning do not deviate from the plan...i.e., no cheating.

If you can't do it for 2 weeks, how do you expect to be able to do it for the rest of your life?

What LegalBeag said!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-08, 11:06

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 238/224/190 Male 6'0
BF:lots
Progress: 29%

Somebody wrote a great comment in another thread to the effect of "never reward yourself with food." Buy a Hummer, go to Fiji, get a pedicure, whatever - but don't "reward" good diet behavior by messing up your diet! If you're going to invest all of this time, money and effort into the diet, it just doesn't make sense to cheat. Frankly, if you can't go to the movies (your sister's, the ball game, the weekly work lunch) without having popcorn (her sweet rolls, two hot dogs, pizza), then don't go! You'll thank yourself later.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-08, 13:25

Plan: south beach
Stats: 338/288/199 Female 5 foot 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 36%

I would have to say no. Phase 1 is all about getting down to the nitty gritty and dedicating yourself to it. First two weeks are the hardest of the diet (IMO).

I had to tell my bf NO to a movie recently because I couldnt handle the no popcorn thing. Too much of a habit, go to the movies, eat popcorn. I could have brought some nuts, but rather not smell popcorn. My roomy popped some last night, I had to get out of the room, sooooo tempting.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, May-03-08, 11:37

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 163/161/150 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress:
Default popcorn temptation

I found this thread and this forum because I am one week into Phase 1 and going to the movies this afternoon, and was not sure what the consensus was about the movie popcorn, and how badly a small popcorn would affect my goals. I'm glad I read all your comments, I'm going to avoid the popcorn now, even though I had planned to let myself have this one, if you know what I mean. I feel like a week into it i'm just starting to get the hang of it, no reason to risk lousing things up if i'm serious right? Thanks!