Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-10-06, 23:07

Plan: South Beach
Stats: -/-/- Female 155cm
BF:
Progress:
Question V8 juice?

Hi, i was just wondering if V8 vegetable juice is allowed on Phase 1 of South Beach (the only V8 juice i've been able to find has carrot in it and if I am correct, carrots are strictly off limits!) please help coz i'm rather confused! Thanks a bunch!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-06, 07:39

Plan: Bariatric Surgery/S.Beach
Stats: 280/143/145 Female 5ft 3 inches
BF:way/2/much
Progress: 101%

Yes V8 is allowed, and tomato juice. Per the SB book Phase one meal plan page 112 6oz vegetable juice cocktail....(V8). I'm sure they can't use the V8 name because of copy write or some such thing.

Also at the top to this thread there is a sticky with food lists and meal plans that were provided by NYC Judy these are very helpful. I'd suggest printing them off to use daily.

Good Luck getting started.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-06, 18:14

BF:
Progress:

Thanks Skippie i'll add that to my menu and see what happens coz it's a good way of getting some of those veggies in!

12 pounds to lose, wish me luck!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-06, 20:58
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessMess
12 pounds to lose, wish me luck!

Jess, matey, you are still worrying me about your weight. You don't say what you presently weigh, but you have assured me in the past that you were trying to gain in a healthy way.

Originally in this thread, you said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessMess
I'm 17 yrs old, 157cm and weigh 36kg. At the beginning of the year I was 45kg (the largest i'd ever been) and felt i needed to lose some weight. I read in a magazine somewhere about Atkins and decided to try it but i never actually bought a book or found out the specifics of the diet. Unawares i avoided ALL foods that contained carbs and fat (even the 'healthy fats') and lost alot of weight and became quite sick. I went to the doctor who told me i was displaying symptoms of anorexia and put me on a plan of weight gain (1kg a month). Now i still follow a low-carb diet but include foods such as cheese and nuts etc. I just want to say to all those who suffer eating disorders that your life is just too precious to waste, follow a low-carb diet by all means but PLEASE make sure you stop before you lose too much weight. Now i follow Atkins to maintain a healthy weight and enjoy the benefits of eating more fruit and vegies.

Everyone of you is special, be healthy but don't risk your life!

So at 5'2 you weighed 79 pounds less than 5 months ago. Do you really, really "need" to lose 12 pounds? I am worried about you, lovey. Please, discuss this with your doctor.

Rosebud
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-06, 22:52

BF:
Progress:

Hi Rosebud, yes I do realise that I was 'disoriented' about my weight the last time I visited the forum, which was 4 months ago. However, I came to terms with my eating problem and stopped low carbing. Actually I went on a MAJOR binge cycle where all I would eat was junk food for ages, every meal was cake, biscuits, chips, soda etc and while it was FINALLY good to 'start eating properly' again (after denying myself this for so long) I ate late at night and always until I was so full I could be sick. Over the 4 months I gained back all the weight I lost plus a bit more (I now weight 49.5kg)

Now I have switched to Southbeach in order to lose just a wee bit of weight (but not THAT much) I know you may think my current weight is fine, but all i really want is just to establish a healthy relationship with food, please understand where i'm coming from. I don't want to low carb the atkins way anymore but i don't want to be constsntly binging either, that's why I chose southbeach because it seemed a healthy way of eating. Thankyou for worrying about me.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-06, 23:00
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

I think it's fine for you to choose South Beach, Jess. I think any low carb plan is a good idea for you, and for everyone.
But it's your potential for/exacerbation of an eating disorder that concerns me.

Yes, 49.5 kg (109 pounds) is a far healthier weight for you. And I'm very pleased to hear you say you want to establish a healthy relationship with food, but don't you see that wanting to lose 12 pounds will not do that? It will make you underweight again, and you may well find yourself on that slippery slope.

How about just plain forgetting the scales for now, and concentrate on that healthy relationship with food?

Rosebud
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-06, 23:15

BF:
Progress:

I know, it's just so hard being what I perceived to be an 'ideal weight' then gaining it all back. I think i'll just go straight to Phase II of Southbeach and just try and nourish my body best I can. I think I've messed up my metabolism a bit too, that's why I'm worried.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-06, 15:34

Stats: 200/178/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 37%

Hi I am new to SB diet.
I was wondering about the v8 Juice too if it was legal or not.
I weigh 180 and I am starting it on Monday. My goal is to lose to 140.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-06, 15:47

Plan: Bariatric Surgery/S.Beach
Stats: 280/143/145 Female 5ft 3 inches
BF:way/2/much
Progress: 101%

This is what was posted as the 2nd entry here.........

Yes V8 is allowed, and tomato juice. Per the SB book Phase one meal plan page 112 6oz vegetable juice cocktail....(V8). I'm sure they can't use the V8 name because of copy write or some such thing.

Also at the top to this thread there is a sticky with food lists and meal plans that were provided by NYC Judy these are very helpful. I'd suggest printing them off to use daily.
Also starting a journal is a good idea. Most of us here log our meals in our journal.

Good Luck getting started.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Dec-27-06, 14:12

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 137/136.5/115 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 2%
Default V-8

I had the same exact question about V8 since it has carrot juice in it. how is it that it's okay to drink it but it conatins carrot juice = sugar too? just wondering. I love V-8 so if it's cool to do it, I'm doin it!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Dec-28-06, 13:23
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendajo1
I had the same exact question about V8 since it has carrot juice in it. how is it that it's okay to drink it but it conatins carrot juice = sugar too? just wondering. I love V-8 so if it's cool to do it, I'm doin it!

Its cool to do it so enjoy!!

It appears to not make a difference with the carrot juice in it as I drank it and still do and I'm in phase III.